Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 101
04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...it,2528-7.html
If you've got any data that says otherwise, I'd be more than happy to see it.
Lt. Commander
# 102
04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
if you want a real eco drive get a solid state one they have no parts that need to move in the first place and are more than 2x faster than any normal hard drive and no noise either... I think mine is wonderful peace and quiet

http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

http://intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream
Lt. Commander
# 103
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
The best place to go for SSD information is PC Perspective. Their SSD Decoder Ring article is by far the most comprehensive and informative.
Lt. Commander
# 104
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
that is pure tosh, I bet you have some kind of financial link with that site...

I researched carefully before spending my 300ish on SSD because I did not know anything about them previously - luckily I learn fast... The person who made that webpage does not seem to have a clue what they are talking about, those read/write numbers are meaningless because the sequential write speeds are mostly irrelevant unless you move huge files around all the time, what actually matters is the "IOPS" which is "input/ouputs per second" of moving a 4 kilobyte bit of data, that is the way to really tell how good a solid state drive is because it's what determines how fast it will boot up, load programs, games etc etc, most of PC disk use is "hunt (seek) and peck" the faster it can do that the faster it is

also at the end of it the picture of the intel X25-M that they "recommend" is the one of the old versions that were black (and it says it was written in January 2010) - the new ones are silver, if you zoom in on the pic you'll notice it says "G1" in the serial number instead of "G2" as well... I bet they didn't even review it themselves they just copy pasted stuff from other websites

ignore that and read the anandtech article I linked
(yes the intel x-25m is the best solid state drive at the moment I chose it cos of that, but not because of those numbers in that rubbishy table, the reason it loads everything about 3x faster than a normal hard drive and faster than the other SSDs is because of IOPS)

edit: by the way while browsing to refresh my memory I came across this on the x25m page, "case study: atos origin pilot", and spotted a nice quote backing me up on the more environmentally friendly thing "We also discovered that Intel SSDs are actually a lot greener than HDDs. They consume less energy, extend battery life and are generally more efficient. James McMahon, Product Manager, Adaptive Workplace, Atos Origin and near the end it says "Another benefit is the Intel X-25-M SSDs are designed for long life. Intel has incorporated wear-leveling algorithms into the technology which essentially means that typical life-span is measured in hundreds of years. While clearly not meant to be used for this length of time, this design element does illustrate the robustness of this technology."
Lt. Commander
# 105
04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Well the new 10.4 Catalyst drivers don't help. Still crashes with Dynamic Lighting. Seriously, how long is this gonna take to fix?
Lt. Commander
# 106
04-30-2010, 04:47 PM
No luck with Cat 10.4 drivers here either. I don't see this on the Engineering Report. Shouldn't it be on the list? This issue is getting SERIOUSLY AGGRAVATING and needs to be fixed!
Lt. Commander
# 107
04-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I tried both versions of the 10.4 preview drivers with no resolution. It seems that there just isn't enough interest in this issue to actually get it fixed.

Edit: And by the way, I don't get paid by PCPer. I do wish I did but AnAnd sucks! It's just that simple!
Lt. Commander
# 108
04-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Between the new patch and the 10.4 Catalyst driver, it actually seems to crash more now with dynamic lighting than before. Not sure which one is making it worse. Got it to fully lock up the computer requiring a hard power off. Never needed to do that before.
Lt. Commander
# 109
05-03-2010, 03:32 AM
I've never had any of these problems.
Lt. Commander
# 110
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I have the 5750 1 gig card and i have been using catalyst 10.2 and have never had any problem with the dynamic lighting. Everything is cranked in the game too with resolution at 1920x1080.