Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 501
04-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
This to me sounds more like a stability issue with your system.
Interesting. How would I diagnose a stability issue?
Lt. Commander
# 502
04-24-2011, 01:03 AM
There are various ways to test certain components. Depending on the component I suspect, I use a handfull of different programs like: OCCT, Everest, 3DMark, ATI Tool, etc. OCCT and ATI Tool are usually used for testing overclocked settings and such and can be very hard on a component. These programs can cause damage to your hardware.

Looking back at your specs, I'm curious to know what your PSU (power supply) is. The GPU itself just might not be getting enough power causing it to crap out under heavy load. There are some BIOS options also that can aid a GPU's stability when you have a PCI-E 2.0 card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot. I know you have mentioned upgrading in the future. I really think a new board, CPU, RAM, and PSU would be your best way to go since they will eliminate any sort of system bottleneck that may be contributing or causing the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 503
04-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Quote:
There are various ways to test certain components. Depending on the component I suspect, I use a handfull of different programs like: OCCT, Everest, 3DMark, ATI Tool, etc. OCCT and ATI Tool are usually used for testing overclocked settings and such and can be very hard on a component. These programs can cause damage to your hardware.

Looking back at your specs, I'm curious to know what your PSU (power supply) is. The GPU itself just might not be getting enough power causing it to crap out under heavy load. There are some BIOS options also that can aid a GPU's stability when you have a PCI-E 2.0 card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot. I know you have mentioned upgrading in the future. I really think a new board, CPU, RAM, and PSU would be your best way to go since they will eliminate any sort of system bottleneck that may be contributing or causing the issue.
Upgraded the mobo, ram and PSU about eight months ago. I can't remember the exact mobo I went with but it is a Gigabyte and the PCI-e slot is a 2.0 as I recall I can double check that when I get home. I have to double check the exact ram but I have 4gigs of PC 6400 as well, (felt like I had to get 4gigs after getting Win 7/64). The PSU is an Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular so the GPU should be getting enough power and only running the cables I need helps keep the internal ambient just a tad cooler.
Lt. Commander
# 504
04-24-2011, 06:21 AM
That power suppoly should be more than adequate for what you've got. I'm really curious to know what Gigabyte board you have. I had a friend who had a pre-built tower from his local computer shop. It has this mATX Gigabyte Core2 board that was a complete nightmore! His GPU would grash onder heavy load in just about anything I threw at it. I MemTest'd the memory (since it was generic) and it was fine. Swapped graphics cards but had the same issue. Even had it hooked into my SilverStone ST850 but the problem still persisted. It definitely wasn't software because I tried scrubbing it as one of the first things. The only thing that ever solved it was swapping the board for... I think I put an Asus P5N32 in it. I'll have to see if I can find out what that board was.
Lt. Commander
# 505
04-24-2011, 06:30 AM
I get off work in an hour and a half. I still have the box so I will post what it is then. I can tell you that it is a different board as I only buy mini-ATX when I am desperate but architecture means nothing when it comes to the chip sets. I have tried other games with it but the most graphically demanding was Oblivion which is ancient.

Hmm wonder if I need to update the mobo's drivers? Have not done that since the install.
Lt. Commander
# 506
04-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Oblivion is a good test still if you get some of the user mods that enable a lot more praphical features. For an old game, it sure can look nice still. When looking for new drivers for your board, see if there are any BIOS updates as well. The Gigabyte board I was mentioning wasn't helped by driver updates or BIOS updates unfortunately.

How did you update the drivers? In a lot of cases, just updating or allowing Windows to automatically install updates can cause GPU driver issues. If you completely uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, made sure Windows didn't install any new driver, make sure all folders, etc from the preious were gone, then installed the 11.3's. Then I'd say your driver install is solid.
Lt. Commander
# 507
04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Oblivion is a good test still if you get some of the user mods that enable a lot more praphical features. For an old game, it sure can look nice still. When looking for new drivers for your board, see if there are any BIOS updates as well. The Gigabyte board I was mentioning wasn't helped by driver updates or BIOS updates unfortunately.

How did you update the drivers? In a lot of cases, just updating or allowing Windows to automatically install updates can cause GPU driver issues. If you completely uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, made sure Windows didn't install any new driver, make sure all folders, etc from the preious were gone, then installed the 11.3's. Then I'd say your driver install is solid.
I did the driver install almost like you said only I used the Add/Remove programs feature to "completely remove" the 10.5 driver. Otherwise it was a manual install.

Oh the mobo in question is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L.
Lt. Commander
# 508
04-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
I did the driver install almost like you said only I used the Add/Remove programs feature to "completely remove" the 10.5 driver. Otherwise it was a manual install.

Oh the mobo in question is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L.
I'm out of town for a couple of days but I'll see if I can find out what board that was just a pain in the arse. Happy Easter Pi! Worst case, we can always try troubleshooting it over Vent.
Lt. Commander
# 509
04-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Quote:
I'm out of town for a couple of days but I'll see if I can find out what board that was just a pain in the arse. Happy Easter Pi! Worst case, we can always try troubleshooting it over Vent.
Hey JCSWW I gotta say I appreciate all the help on this matter. However it is, family is first so my problem can wait. Enjoy your Easter. Vent is always an option, whatever is best for you Boss.
Lt. Commander
# 510
04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Ok so i have an update to my problem of 50 percent gpu usage with post processing, i have found out its not specifically post processing it is actually the bloom quality and lens flare that causes the problem with post processing enabled i have bloom quality or lens flare to high it reduces my gpu usage to 50 percent with both on low everything is fine. One on low and other on high has the same problem also of note i have tried changing bloom intensity while on high and that does not change the problem. While this is somewhat good news having bloom quality to low is about the same as it being off. Any thoughts as to why this would be causing a problem with crossfire?