Lt. Commander
While I do think Cryptic could have done better, players really should have expected some downtime these first couple days, of pre-release. While we have access and we are using what should be production, these couple days are to work our volume kinks. Have you ever been to a restaurant prior to grand opening? They usually have problems, stupid stuff like no salt and pepper shakers, or not enough of some spice to make a dish. Things that get overlooked, often easily corrected.

While Cryptic should of have the came purring like a tribble at head start, its not really surprising that the did not. Anyone demanding money back for lifetime or wanting to cancel their sub over this, really had a unrealistic expectation of launch.

Hit the servers hard, and help Cryptic get these kinks out before Tuesday. And hopefully Cryptic will have the volume issues out of the way. The game is playable and fun, If it crashes on you, send a helpful bug report of what you were doing, if anything outside norm.

Also use the time to hit the forums and post some things that could be improved and why your idea would be better and things you liked and why you liked them.

my 2 credits.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 05:20 PM
While you have a point that is why the betas occured. At one point in the beta the users completely outgrew the server. That right there is a lack of forethought. Do I think they should have bought a server farm to rival the DoD no but some expansion capability would have helped on a weekend instead of the beginning of the next week when the new equipment arrived.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree, problems are expected but not to this degree surely.

Beta is for these kinds of problems. Also beta seemed a lot more reliable. The last few days of OB had less issues than headstart had, and this is supposed to be the version that the general public are expected to play in 3 days.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Downtime & server crashes are two entirely different thins.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtedExtra
While I do think Cryptic could have done better, players really should have expected some downtime these first couple days, of pre-release. While we have access and we are using what should be production, these couple days are to work our volume kinks. Have you ever been to a restaurant prior to grand opening? They usually have problems, stupid stuff like no salt and pepper shakers, or not enough of some spice to make a dish. Things that get overlooked, often easily corrected.

While Cryptic should of have the came purring like a tribble at head start, its not really surprising that the did not. Anyone demanding money back for lifetime or wanting to cancel their sub over this, really had a unrealistic expectation of launch.

Hit the servers hard, and help Cryptic get these kinks out before Tuesday. And hopefully Cryptic will have the volume issues out of the way. The game is playable and fun, If it crashes on you, send a helpful bug report of what you were doing, if anything outside norm.

Also use the time to hit the forums and post some things that could be improved and why your idea would be better and things you liked and why you liked them.

my 2 credits.
I agree with you. We (headstart) are a stress test for the new Live build of the game and for the servers that will continue forward. You can run simulations like crazy but the litmus test is when you turn it on or open up to use your restaurant example. Hopefully they are getting a handle on it prior to Launch with the issues we are having now. I am a long time City of Heroes player and even though Cryptic no longer develops it. I am willing to be patient and give them a chance to work the wrinkles out.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 05:36 PM
"No plan survives contact with the enemy" - Helmuth von Molke
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck1771 View Post
Downtime & server crashes are two entirely different thins.
Crashes usually have downtime associated with them. But don't be surprised if some emergency down time happens as well.

I am seeing 200+ instances on many missions, I haven't even check how many are in SOL, I am trying to avoid going there unless I have to. Memory Alpha was also 200+ instances. That means a LARGE number of people are playing. Question will be will be how many of these are headstart only players (DDO had more many more players in headstart than after headstart was closed) Many chose not to buy the game.

Cryptic has to estimate how much hardware they need, they don't want to spend more than they need. At least they will not have to worry about having dead shards since we all are in one. if there was only 1% of current players, they game would feel about the same gameplay wise.

I am a lifetime buyer, and these crashes do not phase me. While I would have liked to see a smoother launch. I have seen much worse. I have not seen many game stopping bugs when I can actually play, which puts it in the better MMORPG launches.