Starfleet Veteran
# 21
11-15-2013, 07:17 AM
Aux2Batt is an ability that is designed to break the rules. I do think that the ability breaks the rules by too much of a gap. Mainly because of how it interacts with subnuc and RSP.

Aux2Batt should be modified so it doesn't reduce the cooldown on a subnuc'd power. Only Science Team should be able to fix subnuc. This would encourage team play and require a team member to Science Team it off you if you don't have the ability yourself.

The issue with Aux2Batt and RSP is more of a problem with RSP than Aux2Batt. RSP needs a bigger global cooldown.

These two changes won't break the Aux2Batt builds. They will still still be strong and effective builds. They just wouldn't be God builds anymore.
Republic Veteran
# 22
11-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Go and use RSP against the current trend of DEM and bleedthrough PvP killers and come write back to us.

Career Officer
# 23
11-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sernonserculion View Post
It was not practical on my Rommie T'varo, and not needed either.
Actually, A2B T'Varo is vicious and has a nearly perfect cloak due to running power at max Aux and simply shifting the power to the other three system before striking. By the time the power shifts back to the Aux, the fight is either over or you should be getting out of their anyway.
Ensign
# 24
11-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickxb View Post
S
I don't really have a problem with aux2bat, for pve you are insane if you don't use it. The one issue I do have from a pvp view is the cooldown on RSP with aux2bat coupled with the doff that extends time, I feel that is a little much.
So essentially you're saying that playing as Scissors, Rock needs a Nerf but Paper is fine?
Career Officer
# 25
11-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
And their difficulty to kill is inherent in the design of their class (RSF and MW w/ trait). So sounds like you have a much larger problem than with just A2B, because you would hate to come up against a dual A2SIF build.
I didn't make any claim about the A2B being the problem with regards to Engineers. I think that was pretty obvious in the post.

I don't have a problem killing anything, as it always comes down to the crit. Even the engineer with 74k hull can be taken out inside of five seconds if you crit your opener.

We never tested his 74k hull with the addition of Jevonite, but considering the numbers he was killed with, the difference between 74k and 94k is zero if your spike dmg is high enough.

The A2Dam speedsters are way more difficult to kill than any A2B or A2SIF builds, as they are really hard to catch and their speed boosts their defenses high enough that it throws off the attackers Hit Chance and Crit Chance.

Last edited by gstamo01; 11-15-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
11-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If Cryptic had given us more routes to victory than just "shoot it until it dies"
Now this I don't understand. Sure, STO's combat heavily favors DPS blah blah blah, but name ONE MMO where the route to victory over a direct opponent (i.e. not a "puzzle" quest) was NOT through some form of combat, i.e. shoot/stab it until it dies. Sure as hell I've never been able to NEGOTIATE Manus or a gateway to death.

I think part of this is a matter of perception. In the old days (and in most WoW/EQ-derived MMOs), raids were things you had to commit hours or more to, and then you could still fail. They required hours or weeks of "preparation" in terms of gathering the "correct" tier of gear just to complete it. You'd never see anyone in WoW making a serious raid attempt in common gear, and many raiding guilds won't even allow certain characters without the correct tier of gear to join.

STO's space combat, at least as far as PVE goes, has always weighted in favor abilities rather than gear, so even a player in a freebie ship with Mk X commons can contribute significantly to an elite STF so long as their build is adequate and they (and their teammates) know what to do and when.

Compounding this are two structural aspects of the game, particularly in space:

1. The queue system, which has rapidly increased the pace of natural learning and iteration that eventually makes a tough raid "beatable". Once you know what to do and how fast to kill something (i.e. Nanite Spheres), then the only real challenge is doing all that..faster (hence gear optimization).

2. Instanced maps. STO's use of single maps for space battles has eliminated much of the "travel time" that pads out the typical MMO raid. You no longer have to run for minutes from the spawn after a wipe. Space also poses less of that "environmental" aspect to raids. There are no mazes to run, no switches to pull, no ropes to swing on to avoid the boss's "strike" zone*

*Note how much more like "regular" raids the Ground STFs are, thanks to the more rigid class system, the use of environments, etc. About the only space event that feels like that is the Vault shuttle event, but that's got other reasons for not being much fun The crystalline events resemble a classic MMO raid boss, too, though this version isn't as mind-bogglingly obtuse as the original version, which leads to it falling victim to the DPS race.

A rebalancing of the classes won't fix this, but new content with more complex mission design will, and that's only half the solution. I think the Voth are a step on the right path in that respect, with all the tricks they can pull to ****block eager face-melters, but still they're falling victim to the sheer amount of brute force some builds can put out.

That means a raise in the level cap, ultimately. As more players hit 50 and earn their rep gear the content will only get easier to steamroll by numbers alone. Even a bump to 60, without actually making a new tier of ships (I bet you Cryptic are working their butts off trying to find a way to make Tier 6 work without invalidating all the ships we spent so much money on ), and content to match would go a long way towards that.
Career Officer
# 27
11-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Only bad losers complain about things as builds. I noticed during the lifetime of STO there have Always been certain people complaining about setups and ships. Its probably hard to admit that some people build better ships or are just better in playing the game than you are yourself..
Career Officer
# 28
11-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by totenmet View Post
Only bad losers complain about things as builds. I noticed during the lifetime of STO there have Always been certain people complaining about setups and ships. Its probably hard to admit that some people build better ships or are just better in playing the game than you are yourself..
builds are not in question neither ships. that certain skills more people pick over others means that there is a hugh discrepancy in the balance. i used to play various pvp shooters in my time and the one weapon most people couldn't play is the one i used to devastating effect. wolf et, mortar. bf 2, LMG at long range, tank shells on a heli and jet fighter. wot, SPG t40 <3. most people are so afraid to try something different because the chance of them getting ahead in a fight may never happen. kid yourself all you like, but pvp is in desperate need of revamp and balance.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Career Officer
# 29
11-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by totenmet View Post
Yep. Don't forget about the people that scream "Cheese" or "Hack" also. If it's in the game, was meant to be in the game and was used to kill you in PvP, it is not a "Hack" nor is it "Cheese". It was the build that took the player down, that is all it was and the player couldn't handle it.
Ensign
# 30
11-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boishebert View Post
So essentially you're saying that playing as Scissors, Rock needs a Nerf but Paper is fine?
Yea I guess it kind of comes off like that but what I am trying to convey is that, imo, do what ever you want in pve. Aux2bat , throw oranges at them, what ever your heart desires. For pvp I have an issue with it for all the various reasons people have posted.

But now that I think about it, aux2bat boats are doing like cee and ise in a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTbLMBuCpc ise = 1:26 w/ aux2bat scimis

Just the first one I came across on youtube.

And I want to say yet again, im not crying nerf and hack or any of that. I just think that if people take a step back and with an open mind and actually look at what you can get out of 3 doffs. Then go look at how many doffs you need to get a high CHANCE on all those abilities to have their cool down reduced. x3 dmg control doffs for a CHANCE that 2 eptx will cycle like you have copies, x3 energy wpns officers to have a high CHANCE that beam and cannon attacks will have their cool down reduced.

Ive used it before, I can admit that it is to much and needs fixed. But defend on, tell me how having the ability to run almost all of your powers back to back , some with a 30 second downtime, at the cost of 3 doffs is fair and balanced.

Last edited by nickxb; 11-15-2013 at 08:15 AM.