Lt. Commander
Seriously, can we just all agreed to stop submitting ideas and only ask one thing out of the Devs.... server stability.

Every time someone opens up their mouth with a great idea, the devs starts listening and starts implementing. But during that time, the more important issues gets sidestep and never takes care of.

Now, if everyone could stop arguing on what ideas are the best, we could actually have a playable game during prime time.

Yeah, yeah, it's ranting. But, at least I care enough to tell off all those baby players to stop crying and settle down.

Server stability is the prime focus, anything else shouldn't even be suggested or considered. The quicker that gets done, the more stable the game will be, and the quicker we can play through the game to either find bugs, access end game content, find solutions or come up with new ideas.

My 2 dilithium.

P.S.: I want this game to be as good as it has a chance to be, but it's not going to happen if everyone is pushing for more content when the servers are already this unstable.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 09:15 PM
The content teams are quite different from the art teams which are quite different from the server maintenance teams. Suggestions have nothing to do with server stabilitiy, they're different departments. It's like asking your accountants to stop working because tech support needs to install a new router.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
The content teams are quite different from the art teams which are quite different from the server maintenance teams. Suggestions have nothing to do with server stabilitiy, they're different departments. It's like asking your accountants to stop working because tech support needs to install a new router.
However the budget department is one and the same, and who gets assigned OT also affects the company resources in a global way.

Devs constantly shifts from doing OT to regular hours. Making them sure they work on the more important issue will prevent any other departments of investing an extra budget based on the community feedback.

You also have people who can fill in different departments, some people call them shufflers.

Although your analogy makes sense, it doesn't properly apply to a company viewed as an entity.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 09:40 PM
If you think anyone who can work on server stability isn't because of a suggestion on the forums, you're crazy. Flat out insane. Anyone who is working on anything else (which probably isn't anyone at all at 8:40 on Saturday night) is doing so because they have no reasonable way to help keep the servers up. Count on it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
servers are always stable if you buy good ones. it's when you start putting code on them that the problems start. Understand what you are talking about and then you can voice your gripe better. "server problems" that you think you know about might be nothing of the sort.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 09:49 PM
It's all been pretty smooth for me for hours. After the downtime earlier, I had one moment of weirdness, but it's been great since then. Seems like they need to figure this thing out, but it certainly seems like they're on the right track.

I doubt Cryptic is staffed by incompetents.

They might be a bit misguided at times, but I doubt they're stupid. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Robinson
However the budget department is one and the same, and who gets assigned OT also affects the company resources in a global way.

Devs constantly shifts from doing OT to regular hours. Making them sure they work on the more important issue will prevent any other departments of investing an extra budget based on the community feedback.

You also have people who can fill in different departments, some people call them shufflers.

Although your analogy makes sense, it doesn't properly apply to a company viewed as an entity.
Going to guess you missed out on the fuss that was made a while back about how a lot of game designers are on a fixed salary and don't get overtime pay despite the massive amount of work they put in at crunch time.