Lt. Commander
I need some help choosing here. The various roles don't seem to affect game play in any meaningful way (at least at low level). It says Engineering = tank, Science = healer/(de)buffer, and Tactical = nuker; this much I get.

But, I also noticed that you can captain any ship - so it doesn't really matter much, does it? Please advise.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by focuspark View Post
I need some help choosing here. The various roles don't seem to affect game play in any meaningful way (at least at low level). It says Engineering = tank, Science = healer/(de)buffer, and Tactical = nuker; this much I get.

But, I also noticed that you can captain any ship - so it doesn't really matter much, does it? Please advise.
It's a career path for you and gives you certain skills. What is importiant is decide what type of ship you want to play and go with that then get officers to match because playing a cruiser and having 3 tactical officers, 1 science officer and 1 engineer is a bit pointless since with cruiser you get an extra engineer spot.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
What role you chose won't really affect low level play, but it will quickly begin to matter. You should consider what kind of playtactic you would like to settle into, research the skill trees, and then go for it.

For instance, I knew I wanted to be able to take point, drop enemy shields and then run a support role. I don't know for sure that I'm going to be able to make that effective build on the first try, but I chose engineer based on what I was looking for (ability to take damage, support others) and I'm spec'ing in skills that will get me well on my way to doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 08:32 PM
OK. Hmm... let me get to the nuts and bolts of my questions then. I'd like to take the Science Officer "class" because I like its ground abilities, but really dislike the look of Science Vessels; therefore I want to fly the Engineering Ships (aka Cruisers). Will I take a big penalty or gimp myself later down the line doing this?

Example: I'd like to Tank in space and Heal on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
OK. Hmm... let me get to the nuts and bolts of my questions then. I'd like to take the Science Officer "class" because I like its ground abilities, but really dislike the look of Science Vessels; therefore I want to fly the Engineering Ships (aka Cruisers). Will I take a big penalty or gimp myself later down the line doing this?

Example: I'd like to Tank in space and Heal on the ground.
I've heard tell of a lot of 'cross-classing' if you will. I know what you mean by using the word GIMP, but really it's more like not reaching the full potential of a 'pure' class.

What your'e intending is feasible and if you pay attention to how you spec, can be successful. You aren't getting penalized actively for your choice in ship class, you just wouldn't be as adept in Science skills as a 'pure' science officer. If you dig. Also, pay attention, some skills only really benefit you if you are 'pure' classed, so don't spec those as much.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info. How far into the game have you managed to get so far?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhunter
It's a career path for you and gives you certain skills. What is importiant is decide what type of ship you want to play and go with that then get officers to match because playing a cruiser and having 3 tactical officers, 1 science officer and 1 engineer is a bit pointless since with cruiser you get an extra engineer spot.
The only ship where you get to choose which types of Bridge Officers you have is the Bird of Prey.

Bridge officer powers are the deal breaker in combat, class skills compliment in various ways.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the info. How far into the game have you managed to get so far?
Not too far. LOL. I was in the open beta so I really got in there and poked around, plus I have a lot of friends playing. I've had more than a few class discussions with people higher than me when I was in your position trying to decide what to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KabaalGen
The only ship where you get to choose which types of Bridge Officers you have is the Bird of Prey.

Bridge officer powers are the deal breaker in combat, class skills compliment in various ways.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say because it doesn't sound accurate to me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronintetsuro View Post

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say because it doesn't sound accurate to me.
The only ship you can choose which type of bridge officer ie eng/sci/tac to put into which slot is the bird of prey. Every other ship has assigned slots and assigned ranks for the slots. You can swap BOs out to your hearts content on all the other ship, but you can only put an engineer in an engineer slot for example unless you're a BoP pilot.