Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I had a thought, if I have paid for a lifetime subscription to the game, BEFORE receiving any retail key, what would happen if I canceled my preorder?

I did see anything stating that you have to have the retail key to play, and if i have bought a lifetime sub to the game, from a legal standpoint I dont think the could stop me playing without providing a full refund.

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuchulainnDarklight View Post
I had a thought, if I have paid for a lifetime subscription to the game, BEFORE receiving any retail key, what would happen if I canceled my preorder?

I did see anything stating that you have to have the retail key to play, and if i have bought a lifetime sub to the game, from a legal standpoint I dont think the could stop me playing without providing a full refund.

What do you think?
I think you will be upset come the 2nd when you cant log into the game. Worth a try though i suppose, never know you might find a coding loophole that saves ya $60. If you had the money to spend $250 on a subscription i wouldn't think $60 would matter that much to you though.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader8463 View Post
I think you will be upset come the 2nd when you cant log into the game. Worth a try though i suppose, never know you might find a coding loophole that saves ya $60. If you had the money to spend $250 on a subscription i wouldn't think $60 would matter that much to you though.
It would be more of a midddle finger to cryptic for not having the preorder items despite having paid for them (credit card, i can cancel the payment any time for the next month) and receiving my game already (digital preorder).

Get with the digital age people.

Maybe I will wait and see what happens, by not applying my retail code to my account for the next few weeks, if im still playing, i will just cancel my credit card payment.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
lifetime sub does not mean you dont need a retail key.
you have until the 5th in US or 8th in EU to enter key or it stops working.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 10:14 PM
this might just be me, but im sure you could get some sort of refund, though im not sure on the hole amount. this would probley be covered in the ToC of the open beta in which you agreed to before you even paid for the lifetime option...but its just me
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:

What do you think?
You will need a Retail Key in order to Activate the game after Head Start is over.

Your Pre-Order key only allows access to Open Beta and Head Start, after which it will have about 7 to 10 days of grace time in order to input your Retail game key (key from game box or download shipped Feb. 2, 2010 US or Feb. 5, 2010 UK).

If you do not enter a retail key, after the grace period is over, your account will be suspended until your Retail key is entered.

It is a fail safe that Cryptic has installed to prevent people from not purchasing a retail version of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
It would be more of a midddle finger to cryptic for not having the preorder items despite having paid for them (credit card, i can cancel the payment any time for the next month) and receiving my game already (digital preorder).

Get with the digital age people.

Maybe I will wait and see what happens, by not applying my retail code to my account for the next few weeks, if im still playing, i will just cancel my credit card payment.

Every web site has stated release date is Feb. 2, 2010. That means Pre-Order items will not be available until Feb. 2, 2010. You agreed to that when you purchased the game. Neitehr will package items be available.

say you bought DDE from GameStop.. the package comes with NX registry, Khan and bloodwine emote, Joined-Trill, TOS Uniforms and the 360 Degress auto defense tactical console..

those are package items that requires the Retail key to unlock.. which you get with the game Feb. 2, 2010.

Their Pre-Orde item is the TOS Starship, which is tied to the Retailer's Unique Pre-Order Key, however it requires the Retail Key to unlock it, again Feb. 2, 2010, which is exactly what every order site states.. release date Feb. 2, 2010

You knew that when you ordered.. why peopole get upset becasue Jan 29 is not Feb. 2.. I have no idea.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuon View Post
this might just be me, but im sure you could get some sort of refund, though im not sure on the hole amount. this would probley be covered in the ToC of the open beta in which you agreed to before you even paid for the lifetime option...but its just me
Haha, but my open beta participation had nothing to do with my pre-order, I received my pre-order after the open beta!

I received my open beta key from fileplanet!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
Every web site has stated release date is Feb. 2, 2010. That means Pre-Order items will not be available until Feb. 2, 2010. You agreed to that when you purchased the game. Neitehr will package items be available.

say you bought DDE from GameStop.. the package comes with NX registry, Khan and bloodwine emote, Joined-Trill, TOS Uniforms and the 360 Degress auto defense tactical console..

those are package items that requires the Retail key to unlock.. which you get with the game Feb. 2, 2010.

Their Pre-Orde item is the TOS Starship, which is tied to the Retailer's Unique Pre-Order Key, however it requires the Retail Key to unlock it, again Feb. 2, 2010, which is exactly what every order site states.. release date Feb. 2, 2010

You knew that when you ordered.. why peopole get upset becasue Jan 29 is not Feb. 2.. I have no idea.
Umm, you completely missed the point (anyway most pre-orders where ordered before people where told they wouldnt get their pre-order items when they were allowed to start playing the game (though some already have)).

Im talking about not having to pay for a retail copy if you have already stumped up for a lifetime sub. as it nowhere explicitly states you need a retail code to play and if you have a life sub, the wording suggests that you have paid to play the game forever. Its a legal technicality that they might have overlooked, and it might just not be a legal technicality, but a technical one that allows you to continue playing without purchasing the retail key.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 03:12 AM
I think you need to read a little better OP.

"Note: A retail box or digital download purchase is required to play Star Trek Online and future expansion packs. Lifetime subscription covers your subscription fee for as long as the game is in service. 12-month discounted subscription covers your subscription fee for 12 months and will recur at the same price at the end of the 12-month period. Subscription fees are non-refundable. We make no explicit or implicit warranties on the service period of the game. This offer ends February 1st, 2010 11:59PM PST. While supplies last. Prices displayed are not inclusive of VAT for purchases from the European Union (EU). VAT is charged in accordance with the local legislation in each member state and varies from 15% to 25%."

It clearly states, directly from the page where you can choose the lifetime sub, that you need a retail box or digital download purchase to play. That's + the sub fee. It also clearly states that it's non-refundable.

http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusive_specials

Now make sure you get your retail copy and enter your key or you'll be kicking yourself for wasting $240+tax.