Lt. Commander
A lot of people are asking for FPS style game play for ground combat, like that seen in Mass Effect, or probably more accurately that seen in Tabula Rasa or SWG post revamp. The truth is, this would be very easy to implement. We can already set our movement controls up like an FPS and assign mouse buttons to fire off the main weapon skills. To do this you simply have to toggle mouse look with a key.

The only thing we're lacking is the ability to target by aiming. We need an option to target center screen when in mouse look mode, or have the target cursor command automatically target the center of the screen when the cursor is not visible due to being in mouse look mode.

With that single option we could customize our controls to create a pseudo FPS by binding left mouse click to target cursor/center screen, and left mouse press to activate power 1, and likewise with middle mouse click/press for activate power 2. Although it would still be necessary to activate some powers with the keyboard, the main firing functions could be on the mouse buttons.

Some people are probably going to respond by saying, "Go play an FPS." Please don't. The point of my post is not to change the game, but rather point out how close we are to being able to simulate an FPS with the current control customization. All we need is a small addition and then everyone can be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
why would you want to make this game into a FPS?

This is a tactical game with various options... unless you are using specific weapons, most of the time you dont want to attack with one angle... it hurts your shield that faces the enemy like that.

Think of this game more of a 200K ton slow tug boat vessel that has a few weapons fighting another 200K ton tug boat vessel with similar weapons. We are not X-WINGS and we are not Starfighters... we are huge bulky starships.

I am just curious why you would want that type of set up? A good strategiest needs to look at all sides of the battle, and not forward. Likewise, dont you need to turn to move your damage shield away fromt he enemy (in either PvP or PvE) every so often?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydofZINJ View Post
why would you want to make this game into a FPS?

This is a tactical game with various options... unless you are using specific weapons, most of the time you dont want to attack with one angle... it hurts your shield that faces the enemy like that.

Think of this game more of a 200K ton slow tug boat vessel that has a few weapons fighting another 200K ton tug boat vessel with similar weapons. We are not X-WINGS and we are not Starfighters... we are huge bulky starships.

I am just curious why you would want that type of set up? A good strategiest needs to look at all sides of the battle, and not forward. Likewise, dont you need to turn to move your damage shield away fromt he enemy (in either PvP or PvE) every so often?
I'm talking about Ground Combat. Space Combat is fine and should not be an FPS. The slow turn rates and wide arcs of fire would not really be conducive to an FPS anyway.

On the ground the game feels like it could have been an almost FPS, but it was not provided. Having to constantly re-click our powers since ground auto-fire was removed is FPS-esque and we are firing laser weapons after all.

The main thing about FPS style controls in ground combat is I feel it would make it a more immersive experience.