Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I'd prefer they not be unique...minimizes the stupid ship names.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 10:53 PM
are registry numbers unique though? i cant imagine they would be due to the fact that if several million people join this game i dont think the current numbers would allow for it
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan_Bradford
In the Star Trek universe, ship names are not unique. That's what registry numbers are for.
Hmmm....I don't think so. I don't recall ever seeing two ships at the same time with the same name,. Now, you might have NCC-1701 (TOS) or NCC-1701-D (TNG) and Intrepid (TOS) and Intrepid II (TNG), but those are different time periods. Not sure how it is in the real Navy. I know they have designation numbers, but their might be two ships with the same name, but different designation numbers. I'm certain you wouldn't have two aircraft carriers named Enterprise, but you might have a mine sweeper or other class of ship named Enterprise. It's unlikely, but possible.
Quills
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I agree repeat names are not cool. No military gives two ships the same name.

Of course, if we were going traditional, you shouldn't rename your ship either. It's bad luck.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgoodfel View Post
Personally I am glad they are not unique. We would see way more stupid names as people go for Th0R, or THOR, T4or and so on.
give this man a cookie after playing ffxi for 4 years you get tried of seeing how someone can totaly butcher a name of something i cannot tell you how many ways people would spell sepheroth wrong just to feel like there some sort of bad ass when in reality they just looked stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I think the ship names aren't unique because of the whole @username thing.
I would support the whole Name enforcement thing though. If I see one more USS Smoke Weed or USS Darth Vader I'm gonna fire torpedoes at them (oh if only I could).

And while names in Star Fleet aren't unique, they are almost always successors to each other, so they aren't serving at the same time (which I think is current naval practice as well.

But on a single server? Never gonna happen. We'd end up with the U.S.S NameIWant52IHateThis5
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticgamer View Post
Nope, no names are perma taken, it goes by your chat handle, it's the perfect solution to getting what you want to be named w/o hassle.

I hate the handles the names should be unique. Or at lest the ship names should.
This is the thing I hate the most about this game. I can't create multipule characters and have them completly independant of one another like other games. What I mean by this is that if you put me on your friends list then you will know all my characters which is a pain in the but because if you have a character in a Fleet but decided that you wanted to play your other character that you like to solo with or maybe that is in another Fleet or just playing with some friends, and that FLeet need you to get on your other character they will know your playing and bug you about it. I like to play each of my characters as a main so I really don't have alts.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitandmunch
I can understand the limitation on unique names but I used to think a ship name was special to that ship, and only one ship in a fleet could be actively commissioned with a specific name. Instead of hailing Bob's USS Enterprise ... no, sorry, I mean Dave's USS Enterprise...

But point well taken on the risk of really stupid unique ones.

Previous poster mentions you can choose a different name, can we do this after the ship has been created? If it's all about the login ID / registry number it shouldnt be a problem to change the names of the ships adhoc.
I'd rather risk the stupid names than have 5 Enterprises in the game. To me this is more stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 11:07 PM
This will be the first MMO I have ever played that I won't see 423 different spellings of Achilles
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Meeber Zloot
I'd rather risk the stupid names than have 5 Enterprises in the game. To me this is more stupid.
You find 5x Enterprise dumber than Enterprise, Enterpr1se, Enterpris3, Entrprise, and Enterprize? I find that rather hard to believe.

I'd rather do without the misspelled names. The odds of running across the same name are rather low anyway.