Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
At one point near the beginning of Headstart, there were almost 100 full Sirius sector blocks of 50 people. 5k starships, just in that one area, not counting people in the missions.

During the Dominion war, a force of 2800 ships was waiting on the other side of the wormhole for the minefield to go down, and that would have overwhelmed the Allies, not just Starfleet.

There may well be more PC ships created in STO at this point than Starfleet has ever fielded in other sources. And all of them are 'special' ships rather than the rank&file. We can either start freaking out about this, or go 'it's just a game' and only pay attention to the existence of captains we interact with. Not having ship names locked and unique is a good thing, since it decreases the number of crimes against spelling people have to commit if they want a 'decent' ship name.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
You find 5x Enterprise dumber than Enterprise, Enterpr1se, Enterpris3, Entrprise, and Enterprize? I find that rather hard to believe.

I'd rather do without the misspelled names. The odds of running across the same name are rather low anyway.
I'm guessing "Enterprise" is locked out, as a guy in our fleet saw Picard of the "Enterprize" today. Granted I saw Captain Porcnbeans of the USS Piggly Wiggly or something like that. So, y'know, while the naming system ain't bad it also ain't perfect.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Aha you've been had
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Here's an idea. Think of something that is actually unique, and your problem is solved. :p

I can just see a bunch of people switching their names on the fly just to confuse poor souls. Don't turn off people's global's for the luv of god.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 12:13 AM
I haven't bumped into any other U.S.S. Insidious Otters out there, perhaps you didn't think of a unique name hence why you don't feel as unique
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
You find 5x Enterprise dumber than Enterprise, Enterpr1se, Enterpris3, Entrprise, and Enterprize? I find that rather hard to believe.

I'd rather do without the misspelled names. The odds of running across the same name are rather low anyway.
Definitely never saw another USS Squirrel back in beta.

And yes, that is a historical vessel name
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah be nice if we have some sort of a naming convention.

But gotta laugh at some of them USS Khanstipation Captianed by YourWorseEnema.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienCrow
This will be the first MMO I have ever played that I won't see 423 different spellings of Achilles
Nope, but you can see 423 with the same spelling!

This way around, if you have a unique name and someone likes it, they can just copy it... then your ship name is no longer unique. Just about give up on having a unique ship name, unless you want to name your ship something so embarrassing that nobody would copy it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredyl
Nope, but you can see 423 with the same spelling!

This way around, if you have a unique name and someone likes it, they can just copy it... then your ship name is no longer unique. Just about give up on having a unique ship name, unless you want to name your ship something so embarrassing that nobody would copy it.
C'mon, the only way to have a unique name is to create a real copyright for it and notify Cryptic if anyone violates it. I bet you won't see many U.S.S. Coke or U.S.S. Pepsi
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu View Post
C'mon, the only way to have a unique name is to create a real copyright for it and notify Cryptic if anyone violates it. I bet you won't see many U.S.S. Coke or U.S.S. Pepsi
Nope, but I did see the U.S.S OxyClean...

and yes, Commanded by Billy Mays.