Career Officer
This has been an ongoing thing since beta, I don't think cryptic has gamers to fully understand how a joystick is suppose to work ingame. I opted out by using my old logitech profiler instead of the joystick option ingame because number one it doesn't make sense. If you are using all your buttons on things like: accept, exit, and whatever then how are you suppose to bind real UI powers to them?

I fail to see why this joystick option is here...It does not detect the joystick at all. Sure it tells you which stick you are using but what does D-pad have to do with a joystick? That's a gamepad command not joystick. It has been years now and for some reason I don't believe this will ever be understood by this company. Kind of sad though they could have implemented a lot of cool stuff in this game to make it Number 1 years to come instead they seem to have taken the easy way out and just made a total mess out of it. Simple rule for any game company: 1. Game detects joystick. 2. Game uses basic structure of joystick's brand name. 3. Let players input their own commands for joystick. In other words they really did a poor job of their joystick option. And if you got some way out long winded workaround then I hate to tell you this but that should not even be the case at this point.

I would have loved for them to experimented with voice commands while a player is in his/her ship, I use it and it's fun. Nothing like commanding your ship by voice "Shields up" and you get a feedback of whatever you type which in my case is "Emergency Power to shields: Engaged".
Rihannsu
# 22
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Well, If you use the procedures I outlined, you CAN bind whatever random commands you wish to the buttons on your joystick. Yeah it's not easy but.... enh.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 23
01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
I was thinking of purchasing a joystick to make my life easier when flying ships... but from what I've read here, it seems a pain in the butt to find the right bind commands.

Markhawkman, did you manage to get the basic joystick functions (pitch, yaw) to work right from the start?

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Rihannsu
# 24
01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
STO automatically mapped the basic ship movement commands. But only that.

To simplify my previous explanation.. It's really only a 3-4 step process, and for the first few steps you don't need to do the buttons individually. It's only the last step that needs to be handled individually. I say 3-4 because while 2 of the steps are technically separate you can do them simultaneously. Also those two steps are really there just to make sure the game has all of your buttons associated with something(mine didn't). If you want to save time you could just open the joystick config file and use the left column entries to map to... this reminds me.... I didn't explain how to find that....

After you save the configuration file, find the file in the live folder mine is: C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live. It's named controller.cfg.

And, you really only need to do it once. Then you can just save the configuration and keybinds and load it on all of your other characters.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2014, 11:48 PM
The vast majority of the player base has been getting along perfectly fine using mice and keyboards. We don't need the devs wasting efforts on joystick controls for a few special snowflakes.

Hey, that's just my opinion.
"That's fourxgamer. He's not joking. " ... Psycho Landlady

"Oh poo poo I didn't even realize the significance of the name." ...Donny Tryhard.
Captain
# 26
02-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxgamer View Post
The vast majority of the player base has been getting along perfectly fine using mice and keyboards. We don't need the devs wasting efforts on joystick controls for a few special snowflakes.

Hey, that's just my opinion.
You NEARLY necro'd the thread. XD
I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurato2099
Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!