Lt. Commander
Right, so steam seems to hold a grudge against STO at the moment since the STO patcher and Steam dows not play along very well. So what I did was to move the game out of the reach of steam, and let the STO launcher do its thing.

EDIT: I do not take any responsibility if you break your computer by editing the wrong things in your registry!!

Steps:

1: Exit steam completely, and make sure it does not run in the background.
2: Open up your windows explorer and navigate to your steamapps\common folder. (Mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\)
3: Right click on the "star trek online" folder, and select "Cut"
4: Make a new folder somewhere (Mine is C:\Games\) and right click somewhere inside that folder and select "Paste".
5: Wait until the move is complete.
6: Open up the registry editor (Hit Win+r, and type in "regedit")
7: Navigate the registry to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online
8: Change the key named "InstallLocation" to wherever you moved the game to. (Mine is C:\Games\star trek online)
9: Go back to your windows explorer and run the STO launcher by clicking on "Star Trek Online.exe". Log on and the usual, and then it should proceed to download a relative small patch instead of the whole 10GB.

Optional steps:
10: In the launcher click "Options" and check the checkbox named "Force verify" and click OK. It should then verify your files and redownload those that are corrupt.
11: Remove the game from your steam games list.

This should prevent steam and the STO launcher from having a battle about who have the latest version of the game. This worked for me, hope it works for you!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Are you required to use the Steam launcher/downloader to play STO if you bought from them?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieko View Post
Are you required to use the Steam launcher/downloader to play STO if you bought from them?
No, you can launch the game without running steam by executing the "Star Trek Online.exe" file directly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 04:57 AM
I'm using Win7. I let steam download and be happy with the STO files overnight, and just made a copy of the Star Trek Online Folder in another location. I did not need to edit the registry.

Ran the "star trek online.exe" in the main file, and the client ran and patched up (pretty quickly, too). Played with no problems.

Of course, once I get in, the server goes down for maintenance after 5 minutes, but oh well...

I'll play the copy, and let steam play with its own files until everything is straitened out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 05:01 AM
If you do not change the registry entry the launcher will still use the steam-copy of the game, regardless from where you started launcher (that is the point of that registry entry )

Just noticed there is another thread about this that have other options as well (including this one):

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89091
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareni
No, you can launch the game without running steam by executing the "Star Trek Online.exe" file directly.
Yeah. Then my STO launcher downloads the 10 GB. But no matter i was just forced to redownload the whole thing again
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Why were you forced? Stop the patch process, copy the files from your old install to the new install folder, rerun patcher to fix any possibly corrupt files. Should take 15-20 minutes instead of hours redownloading the client.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 05:05 AM
EDIT: NM..

But make sure to edit that registry setting if you move the game to a new folder, or steam will just mess it up again...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 05:07 AM
I am using Windows XP and used this method to avoid downloading the whole game again for 10GB. Took me about an hour to figure it out myself wish I had seen this post first!

For Windows XP if you do not edit the registry with the install path it will download the whole thing again, when you make the registry edit it means you can avoid the 10GB download.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareni
If you do not change the registry entry the launcher will still use the steam-copy of the game, regardless from where you started launcher (that is the point of that registry entry )
I'm not so sure...

I navigated to the registry entry, and I do not have a key for the install location...

Also I use a Logitech G15 keyboard, and I had to re-point the profile to the new .exe.

Now I did find a registry entry for "Steam App 9910," but I think that is for steam's shortcut to the game.

I found no other references in the registry for the install location.

Difference in win 7 vs xp?