Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
takes awhile to figure out if the 3 prong plug goes into the 3 hole receptacle, or the 2 hole receptacle.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojanglez View Post
I wouldn't at all be surprised if they have someone onsite for this weekend and launch just to expedite reboots and restarts. I have done the same thing many times over the years (although it's never been for a video game)
It's the year 2010. You don't need people sitting in a datacenter to manage, even power cycle boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziros
100% positive they pay to have the servers hosted and when something goes wrong like an unexpected crash, there is no cryptic server techs there at the facility. Cryptic's address is just office space.
Why would you be 100% positive of this? Some of the gaming companies have their own server rooms and I would not be surprised of this with the way the server is for this game.

The thing that I can not understand is how not 1 GM or CS has at least posted yet.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBandit View Post
It's the year 2010. You don't need people sitting in a datacenter to manage, even power cycle boxes.
Sadly untrue if there's smoke coming out of the back of one of your boxes.

while we're waiting, best server room fail ever. A very large colo host in London was having their A/C cleaned: and while they were doing it, the cleaners thought they could get the job done faster if they took down and cleaned the backup units at the same time.

Result: 25m in melted servers, 400+m in code damage and loss of business...
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAmyWeaver View Post

while we're waiting, best server room fail ever. A very large colo host in London was having their A/C cleaned: and while they were doing it, the cleaners thought they could get the job done faster if they took down and cleaned the backup units at the same time.

While attempting to chose a new co lo for my previous employer, I had a data center rep brag for an hour about how they had liquid cooled air conditioning, and the pipes were all along the ceiling!

I left.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAmyWeaver View Post

If I had been an employee/manager or heck even a customer of that data center I think I would have added "assault of cleaning crew" to the list of those results.