Lt. Commander
# 1 Seriously weird question
01-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Ok, my title in here is Frakthefriendly. ALL my characters in game are Name@Frakthefriendly when I chat, mail anything, in friends lists, etc.

What is the point of letting us name ourselves with first, middle and last names if our handle is our forum name?

Now, is this just me or is this happening with everyone?

Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 05:35 AM
It's to allow other players to have the same ship and character name as you.

i.e.

benny@frakthefriendly on the USS Pew Pew

benny@aegisprime on the USS Pew Pew
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
It's to allow other players to have the same ship and character name as you.
We could still have that if the handle was different.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 05:41 AM
It was the same in Champions Online and it is the same there; the poster who noted that its for the purpose of allowing you to have any name you want is correct. It also allows folks to -cross-talk- into the other game (CO). This may not be the way some would implement this feature, but its how they did it here and its part of their core-structure, so don't anticipate a change to it anytime soon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 05:41 AM
If it bothers you (and it does bother me) you can turn off the account name display in the chat options (and possible in the HUD options too - I haven't checked).
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
If it bothers you (and it does bother me) you can turn off the account name display in the chat options (and possible in the HUD options too - I haven't checked).
That just makes it so that YOU can't see it.

And I suspect part of it is to take away anonymity without revealing your real name. Anonymity has a lot of downsides in a community like this.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 07:00 AM
out of sight out of mind...
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Then what is the point in letting you choose a full name for each of your characters if NOBODY can see it???

That is so stupid.

Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakthefriendly
Then what is the point in letting you choose a full name for each of your characters if NOBODY can see it???

That is so stupid.

That's incorrect; anybody who wants to can see it. It's in your info page for the character.

The point of the global handle is to allow friends lists that work the way everybody always complains they don't work in other games; add your friend once and have all his characters. Or equally importantly, add someone to your ignore list, and have all his characters.

It's not just global to STO; it's also your unique identifier in all Cryptic games and websites, including the "super secret" next game they're working on.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 08:29 AM
I personally don't like that your account name is visible in chat. If someone wanted to take a shot at getting into your account, all they need to do is figure out the password.

Needs to NOT be visible or let me have a global name that's different from my account name like CoH.