Commander
i started a new fed yesterday, and when she hits 50 she will be running the tactical vesta, and i was wondering if the aegis set is a good starting point for her? or is there something better? PLEASE DO NOT MENTION ANY REPUTATION SETS, I DO NOT HAVE PATIENCE FOR ANOTHER REPUTATION
Rihannsu
# 2
11-17-2013, 03:37 AM
Aegis is only the equivalent of a Mk X set. Cryptic needs to make a way to upgrade it to a Mk XII set.
Career Officer
# 3
11-17-2013, 03:37 AM
reman set, breen set. it depends on what you mean by "better".
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Career Officer
# 4
11-17-2013, 03:38 AM
As a starting set it's actually quite nice if you're wiling to invest resources in its construction or purchasing it on the exchange.
If you know what you're doing it's easily enough for ESTFs so you can get something more potent later on.
An alternative that also works but is not particularly stellar is the Mk XI Breen Set which...well works too but is nothing special either.
Career Officer
# 5
11-17-2013, 03:42 AM
I'd say that it depends on what you're using it for. I had an old character some time ago (an Engineer) and used the Aegis Set on a Fleet Excelsior. I managed to easily hold my own in Elite STF's etc, so if it's just STF's and general gameplay then I'd say go for it. If you take it into PvP however, you'll likely get blown to pieces.
Commander
# 6
11-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
I'd say that it depends on what you're using it for. I had an old character some time ago (an Engineer) and used the Aegis Set on a Fleet Excelsior. I managed to easily hold my own in Elite STF's etc, so if it's just STF's and general gameplay then I'd say go for it. If you take it into PvP however, you'll likely get blown to pieces.
oh trust me! i would get blown to pieces anyways but yea its just for general gameplay
Commander
# 7
11-17-2013, 03:45 AM
The only non-reputation engine/shield/deflector sets I can think of are Aegis, Breen, and Jem'Hadar (that last being upgradeable with Lobi crystals, at least). There are various equipment sets you can buy with Lobi, too, and presumably find on the exchange eventually - though you might as well grind for reputation as work on getting the millions of EC you'd need.

I've always thought the Aegis set was pretty good as a starter, at least; I prefer it to the Breen one (have recently tried both on an upcoming KDF toon). But, if you don't want the reputation-based sets, your options are pretty limited, I fear.

Last edited by shevet; 11-17-2013 at 03:45 AM. Reason: apparently I can't spell Jem'Hadar
Career Officer
# 8
11-17-2013, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet View Post
[snip]
Love your signature.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbmoney View Post
Aegis is only the equivalent of a Mk X set. Cryptic needs to make a way to upgrade it to a Mk XII set.
Forget about it. Cryptic wants you to grind those new set. If you only do PVE then the aegis set is all you need. Or you can do what i do and find XII gear on the exchange and make up your own set for your play style. Don't get tricked into believing those mark sets are the only good gear in this game. The dev's would have to be dumb to do that. I also refuse to spend my game time grinding for Marks of any kind.
Captain
# 10
11-17-2013, 08:08 AM
If you have Dil and Fleet credits the Elite fleet gear will be much better than the other sets like Jem Hadar or Breen. If you go on the public service channel or just ask some tier 5 fleets will give you access to their starbase's store for free, You just need the Dil and Marks to buy them.