Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCrazyGuy
Did you even play champions? You don't remember the day 1 MEGA patch? Yeah things were smooth.

/sarcasm

Yea apparently he/she doesnt want to recall they put out the wrong patch and the game didnt work for over 3 hours (if not more). There was at LEAST 2 days like this one when CO launched, doesn't surprise me or frustrate me, played enough MMOs that this is just another one that has problems at the beginning.

Good game when its up though
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshan
This can not be the same team or company who made Champions online.
Reason being Champions went smooth and had maybe 1% of the issues STO is having, Champions betas and game launch were smooth and pretty much bug free and the servers were pretty stable. This excuse for a launch, well no other way to put it then.... IT SUCKS!!!! pure and simple! Game play buggy, server issues, ect. ect.. When you actually get on its not a bad game and I hope it sticks around to enjoy it but the bads far far outweigh the goods so at this point i give cryptic a D- as a grade.
No offense to Cryptic, but... Champions is in the shadow of City of Heroes, and both of them are in the looming shadow of DC's MMO when it comes out. Add in that the word of mouth I've heard about Champions hasn't been the best, and a lot of people seem to have either stayed with CoH for Superhero MMOing, or are waiting on DC's game. Once that drops, would you rather play in Chamionsville, CoHVille, or... Metropolis and Gotham City? No contest; both games will hemmorage players when DCU launches.

Now keep that in mind, and compare Champions to "Star Trek", a franchise no one has ever heard of. That hasn't spawned what, 400 television episodes, 11 feature films, billions of dollars of toys, billions of dollars in novels, and untold billions of other things? That didn't actually get real life manned spacecraft named in their honor?

Was everyone expecting this to be limited to the standard MMO crowd in volume? These servers will die screaming on Tuesday, and Atari will VERY QUICKLY have to cut a purchase for a lot of extra gear. The devs & their Ops staff are gonna have a crappy few weeks, and then it'll be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltark View Post
Blame Atari not Cryptic. Crpytic wanted more time to test but Atari is making them rush the launch. Seriously people give them a break they're just trying to do their jobs AND we're still gettting to play before the launch be happy for that. Remeber that Cryptic didn't need to do a headstart at all
ummm.... thats not how the business world works. Cryptic had a contract and they are obligated to meet it. My clients give us a date they need their project and we deliver. sometimes not making any profit because we had to bring in freelancers or pay people bing bonuses to worl 2/47

Cryptic did not have the product ready when it was time to deliver.

Atari should be the ones ****ed at cryptic. They spent alot of money on the ad campaigns and are gonna have to deal wih the grief when the users start logging in in the next few days.

It is NOT your clients fault when you dont meet your deadline.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
I only wish they had just said it was a pre launch Beta test as the reason for all the frustration is people were led to believe that this was a final release game. Cryptic, lesson learned I hope. 1st rule of business under promise over deliver, not the other way around.

The fear is that the people playing right now are the hard core dyed in the wool sort of fans that Cryptic NEED to be out there getting new players in. I have recruited about a half dozen people who love Star trek but had no idea that there was an MMo coming.

If people stop recommending this game then the ones who suffer are us lifetime members who will have to huddle around each other to keep warm in these big empty servers
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Atari needs the money to pay back what it owes Turbine on DDO.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 11:23 PM
except they did meet the deadline, the problems with STO amount for a HUGE serverload, this can be corrected easily eneugh (give em time) and from a busniess point of view "we need more servers cause we got more people then we expected" isn't a bad thing, it's a reason to break open a bottle of friggen champaign
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
You are all forgetting what head start really is. Load balancing and load testing. Think about it before they advertise this on tv and everywhere else, they need to know what the system can handle. How happy would you be if week 1 of the game, nothing worked. This whole weekend is testing, ( load balancing, fail over testing etc) It is frustrating but it is necessary before launch day. It ****es me the hell off but i can understand. They underestimated how many people would be playing at once, and are probably pushing up against the max load for the amount of servers they are running the head start on. I really hope they aren't using using all of their production servers yet.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrocer View Post
Did you ever think that there MIGHT be a few more people playing Star Trek Online than Champions? I would wager that there are more people playing this head start than people subbed to CO right now.
Did you ever think it might be reasonable to expect a company to appreciate the scope of the Star Trek IP and plan ahead? Thought not.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
yea but they saw the same issues in OB, they should have anticipated much greater numbers for launch.... obviously that was too much commonsense for them to handle.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
except they did meet the deadline, the problems with STO amount for a HUGE serverload, this can be corrected easily eneugh (give em time) and from a busniess point of view "we need more servers cause we got more people then we expected" isn't a bad thing, it's a reason to break open a bottle of friggen champaign
you could write 1/2 a term paper and hand it in on the due date but i doubt your professor would consider that adequate.