Lt. Commander
I found this really good concept art of the Akira model. I think that this one could be a carrier since it has a more beefy main body.

http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com...wson-color.jpg

...it still down
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
No need for the beefy body, I don't think. Some non-canon sources have already deemed the Akira class a carrier even in its original form. But.. that's also non-canon. There's no evidence of it being a carrier seen on screen, and in fact most carriers would probably stay away from the main battle but we've seen Akiras in there heating it up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
The Akira is a carrier in apocrypha, but it's not in canon sources.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
I thought the Akira was more of a torpedo boat. I'm not trying to start another war about this but I do think its a bit too slim to support all those weapons AND fighter bays.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
I thought the Akira was more of a torpedo boat. I'm not trying to start another war about this but I do think its a bit too slim to support all those weapons AND fighter bays.
It was both a torpedo boat and a carrier in non-canon sources. And since it's on screen appearances don't really match with either, I'd do what cryptic did and go with the canon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Speaking of ships anyone know what ship is seen a couple times in the opening movie? looks like a I dont even know what it looks like?

Like a pineable with a hole it with 4 warp nacells its allso in a pic on starbase 24 it is fed?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Wait, are there carriers in STO? The description for the big Klingon ship called it that, but I thought it was for troop ships. If there are, shuttles or fighters? It's an idea that starts out pretty neat, but I remember from Starfleet Command 1 and 2 that fighters and missiles really changed all the strategy and feel of it all and not in a great way. The Hydran weapons were kind of neat though...
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Its original designer said he designed it as a carrier, problem is when they used it whoever was directing or using it on screen didnt use it as one.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Akira_class
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 11:31 PM
As far as I know, Akira class vessels were your standard line cruisers during the TNG timeframe. With their refit, they were supposed to be on par with a Galaxy class cruiser as far as combat. The main difference is the Akira lacks the sensors, lab space and crew compliment of a Galaxy. It's powergrid is also not as beefy. It was Starfleet's first real "warship".

At least, I think....
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassidus View Post
Speaking of ships anyone know what ship is seen a couple times in the opening movie? looks like a I dont even know what it looks like?

Like a pineable with a hole it with 4 warp nacells its allso in a pic on starbase 24 it is fed?
Anyone ?