Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu View Post
My time is pretty precious to me, split between friends, family and work. Thankfully Star trek is something my wife loves so I felt safe taking the plunge into an MMO.
Well, just so you know, World of ********'s start was more rocky than this (as far as server stability is concerned).

Typically it takes the developer 1-3 weeks to get their servers in order after launch; and its actually a good sign as it means there is a lot of intrest in the game.

I would highly recommend that you and the wife have some side things planned for when the server comes down as it WILL come down. Expect it to happen.

Here is 1 thing to do:
http://www.cbs.com/hd/?show=star_trek_remastered
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu View Post
Just wanted to talk to other full time employed adults who have bought this game.

My time is pretty precious to me, split between friends, family and work. Thankfully Star trek is something my wife loves so I felt safe taking the plunge into an MMO.

So with these "teething" problems it means that if I try and plan for a little bit of STO time I have twice now found myself unable to play.

Now I am a patient man and when the server is up I am having a bit of a ball.

But I was wondering if this would make it hard for anyone to continue playing this game?
This is one reason why I am having a hard time deciding whether to get a lifetime subscription or not. I am just not sure if it is worth it, what with their unpreparedness, their irresponsibility of rushing this game, and their current business practices with their other MMO as potential indicators of what we might face down the road... I am just unsure at this point. The game is fun... but repetitive and shallow, and for that I am not sure what kind of longevity this game ultimately has.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKnight6 View Post
Absolutely, I do believe they will fix stability in time however. The question will be how many will stick around for the weeks or months neccesary for them to get there.

My only concern with this game is that many folks out there will spring for the lifetime sub and most of the month to month subs will cancel due to frustrations, then the corporate machine will see slumping revanues and decrease support and development. There is too much to be done for development to falter.
yes this is my fear too, I mentioned in another post about all us life members huddled around each other for warmth in the cold empty vacuum of empty server space.

there is a lot to like in this game and I really look forward to the social aspects. As this is my first ever MMO I have no idea what to expect and I do take a grain of salt with all the silly talk from internet trolls.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
This is fairly normal, and probably not the worst of what you'll experience in a new MMO.

If it really bugs you, wait a month to play... or maybe 3 or 6 months.
You would probably get about the same enjoyment w/o the annoyance of crashing or major changes when gameplay issues are found... you'll still get some of that, but at least less.

That said, I think there's something better about being with an MMO from the start.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
This is one reason why I am having a hard time deciding whether to get a lifetime subscription or not. I am just not sure if it is worth it, what with their unpreparedness, their irresponsibility of rushing this game, and their current business practices with their other MMO as potential indicators of what we might face down the road... I am just unsure at this point. The game is fun... but repetitive and shallow, and for that I am not sure what kind of longevity this game ultimately has.
I have heard all MMOs are pretty shallow and repetitive, but it's the people you met that make it fun. I got a lifetime because I can see myself playing this enough to enjoy it. trust me I think the lifers are the ones you will want to "fleet" up with as we'll have a more long term view of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavillion View Post
Besides, I'm too old to live on nothing but Cheetos and Redbulls.
Lies! You are just old enough/wise enough to know what it will do to you!
Ive had to get up early to get some extra hours in, as when the kids are up, its all about them

I accept that there will be some issues, however my only gripe so far is the apparent lack of information about whats going on like:

"Logon server has blown up, eta to fix 2 hrs. Another update in 45 minutes"

At the moment the launcher says the server is Offline, the support site says its "under going maintenance"
Whilst both maybe true... its hardly enough to be going on with. If I knew how long its likely to be down for I could plan my time/day around it

/2p
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunofVich View Post
Its common with MMO's at their launches.

Anyway. Yeah the servers cannot handle the numbers so they die. If I were you I would not bother even wasting time to get into the game until Feb. 9th. And even then servers crashing could still be happening.
I don't think that's the problem. They have to have a serious memory leak somewhere that's eating up process clock time or something. The game runs fine through most of peak hours. It's a bit laggy, sure, but something serious is going on that they didn't figure into the equation or overlooked. My money is on that they have no idea what's causing the game to crash. I noticed that my character description was gone... and that's irritating.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 11:29 PM
It will take a few weeks to load balance the servers.

People like to think one roll out is the same as the next, that everything is equal, so once you know how - it should be smooth every time unless for some reason your just inept, but those people are guaranteed to be the least informed.

Most roll out server hardware is a generation different then the last, and for every new game, the server demand is guesswork until a few weeks into Live. Of course the software is architected differently for every game - and is not truly stressed until the first month or so of Live.

Unless a company is willing to conduct a several month long completely Open Beta (and even then your numbers will fall short, since some will not put as much time into a guaranteed character wipe situation), then the first few weeks of Live are invariably going to be a "paid" beta.

Lastly, I suspect some consideration should be given to the fact that retention rates on MMO's these days are not so great. So it's entirely possible that Cryptic will not waste money on hardware which will end up as unneeded 3-6 months out when many have gone back to their previous MMO's.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Any new game is going to have quite a few glitches at release, which isn't even until Tuesday. When a new game is first released, everyone logs in and plays until they pass out from exaustion, or have some other commitment. It is impossible to gauge how much server power is going to be required to meet that initial burst demand. Once the first few weeks of novelty wears off, and the servers have been adjusted accordingly, things will get much better.

Plus there are a ton of bugs which are to be expected with any new MMO game. MMOs are not like console games. They are typically released before they are ready, due to the fact that they can be patched regularly. This allows the company to start stemming its losses from the development process. It will probably be quite some time before Cryptic even breaks even on STO.

Be patient, give it a few weeks, and things will get better. The game will probably not be perfect for months, and as new content is added, new bugs will be added and worked out. The galaxy is a big place to build and test.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Honestly the game is fun enough I don't really care. My advice stay out of the forums as much as you can. If you don't you will have to deal with the flood of 10-17 year olds who's parents have not taught them to calm down and be patient.

As an adult and a trek fan I can see the big picture and I plan to play this game a long time. Next year some time on a patch we will all be laughing about the launch and how far the game has come.

Even EvE online has patch hickups and CCP is hard core when it comes to patch days they have it down to a science.