Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu View Post
I have heard all MMOs are pretty shallow and repetitive, but it's the people you met that make it fun. I got a lifetime because I can see myself playing this enough to enjoy it. trust me I think the lifers are the ones you will want to "fleet" up with as we'll have a more long term view of the game.
Aye, in the end all MMOs are the same; repetitive and shallow (specially compared to most single player games). What makes an MMO fun is the friends you make in them. Its the whole social aspect that makes an MMO.

As for your lifetime sub, the price comes out to about what, 18 months of paid time? so if you can get a year and a half out of the game it has pretty much paid for itself. Anything after that is bonus

I myself would go lifetime, but my girlfriend would probably beat me with a shovel for spending $250 on a single game at once...

And what good is a lifetime sub when I am dead and burried in the back yard....
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Quote:
But I was wondering if this would make it hard for anyone to continue playing this game?
Not in the slightest. It's like if you bought Modern Warfare 2 for your Xbox to play on Xbox Live. Then your Xbox began to fail the day you bought MW2: it would only run 50% of the time, and you couldn't get it fixed for the next week or two. Or, your Internet is screwed up for that 1-2 weeks.

Then it's fixed. Will that lax period mean you no longer will be playing MW2?
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 12:42 AM
I work full-time, and I am in college full-time as well (well, 12 credit hours)

My gametime is precious, it seems to take a lot more planning just to get my time in on any MMO nowadays. We've got one PC (with a laptop on the way, thank you tuition assistance^^) but with my wife AND I playing, it's a dance we do be bale to just come home from work/school, sit down, and enjoy the game.

That being said, it is quite frustrating when you can't even log in. But I understand it's in it's fledgling development, and the devs have FOR SURE heard the cries. It will get better, I know it will.

But still, I feel your pain.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
This is one reason why I am having a hard time deciding whether to get a lifetime subscription or not. I am just not sure if it is worth it, what with their unpreparedness, their irresponsibility of rushing this game, and their current business practices with their other MMO as potential indicators of what we might face down the road... I am just unsure at this point. The game is fun... but repetitive and shallow, and for that I am not sure what kind of longevity this game ultimately has.
Serious? Well, i wonder. You're bashing the game for a year now. You hate it! And you're even THINKING about a lifetime subscription? Talk about masochism...
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 08:16 AM
We had what, 50% downtime today? This does not bode well at all for launch. I'll be waiting a while to enter my retail key, enjoying some of the working games released recently instead.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Just wanted to talk to other full time employed adults who have bought this game.

My time is pretty precious to me, split between friends, family and work. Thankfully Star trek is something my wife loves so I felt safe taking the plunge into an MMO.

So with these "teething" problems it means that if I try and plan for a little bit of STO time I have twice now found myself unable to play.

Now I am a patient man and when the server is up I am having a bit of a ball.

But I was wondering if this would make it hard for anyone to continue playing this game?
regardless of all the flame posts you may read, this is a normal thing for the start of a mmorpg. It will only get better with time.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Not in the slightest. It's like if you bought Modern Warfare 2 for your Xbox to play on Xbox Live. Then your Xbox began to fail the day you bought MW2: it would only run 50% of the time, and you couldn't get it fixed for the next week or two. Or, your Internet is screwed up for that 1-2 weeks.

Then it's fixed. Will that lax period mean you no longer will be playing MW2?
...only in that case, the problem is your 360, or your internet.

Not Activision being unable to make the game work. Try again, maybe a car analogy?
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 08:23 AM
No problems yet for me. I plan to play maybe 2 hours a day or so until I get sick of it
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 08:41 AM
what the other people said... its a new MMO.. that still isnt even launch day..

expect issues for the first month atleast..

Its completely unreasonable to expect a flawless launch day.. Even if beta was flawless. the reason being is there is Zero way to test a game that has had 15k people playing.. vrs 100k+ playing.. especially a game that has everyone in the exact same universe.

If you want flawless, come back in 6 months.. If you want pretty good.. come back next month.. If you dont care and can take it as you can get it.. meaning, if the server is up and you can play.. enjoy, if not get another hobby, Or do some chores.

A full time working adult should always have a list of 50 things to do.. Do them for the next month instead of playing, that way when your wife says.. playing STO again? why dont you go fix the door knob on the hall closet.. You can say.. Honey, its all done.. did it last week :p
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Just wanted to talk to other full time employed adults who have bought this game.

My time is pretty precious to me, split between friends, family and work. Thankfully Star trek is something my wife loves so I felt safe taking the plunge into an MMO.

So with these "teething" problems it means that if I try and plan for a little bit of STO time I have twice now found myself unable to play.

Now I am a patient man and when the server is up I am having a bit of a ball.

give it a week or 2 soon it will be very stable