Lt. Commander
# 1 Welcome to StarTrek OFFLINE.
01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
At least Cryptic tried. They did develop the game based on the very likely large demand from the massive group of trekkies all over the world. Imagine their eyes when the idea came up ... "wow, we'll get rich". At least they tried ...
I guess they haven't the resources to launch it and meet the demand. I'd like to see the faces of those who already paid for the life subscription. I was going to do mine today, but the startup changed my mind. It is unlikely that they will sort this matter very soon. Someone was saying that only the beginning is going to be this crazy busy, but it is unlikely. the brand and the rather interesting content ... with the promise of making it even better, would make the simultaneous number of player online to grow. Those of you/us who played Eve might remember that the startup had like 4-5000 guys on on average ... now is over 40,000 - in the weekdays. yes .. this is the prelaunch ... what makes you think it will sort itself out in 2 days? ... some infusion of 500k+ worth of hardware? ... from where?
Anyway ... i was hoping so much .
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
can i haz your fazors?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Lear
At least Cryptic tried. They did develop the game based on the very likely large demand from the massive group of trekkies all over the world. Imagine their eyes when the idea came up ... "wow, we'll get rich". At least they tried ...
I guess they haven't the resources to launch it and meet the demand. I'd like to see the faces of those who already paid for the life subscription. I was going to do mine today, but the startup changed my mind. It is unlikely that they will sort this matter very soon. Someone was saying that only the beginning is going to be this crazy busy, but it is unlikely. the brand and the rather interesting content ... with the promise of making it even better, would make the simultaneous number of player online to grow. Those of you/us who played Eve might remember that the startup had like 4-5000 guys on on average ... now is over 40,000 - in the weekdays. yes .. this is the prelaunch ... what makes you think it will sort itself out in 2 days? ... some infusion of 500k+ worth of hardware? ... from where?
Anyway ... i was hoping so much .

Then u must not have remembered eve start up very well, both EVE and WOW had terrible start ups. waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than this. Also 40k people on tranquillity server in EVE is a yearly max level, you’re not quoting proper figures. The average eve numbers on tranquillity are around 14 - 15K at any given time. STO even in head start probably has somewhere in the region of 50K or even more.

Also it's practically guaranteed now that STo will be a commercial success.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 11:11 PM
My bet is Engineers did it right, but the beancounters nixed them on buying so much hardware - these accounting types never guessed that so many would be on, and management is always on the side of the accountants.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Lol I second that. I feel dumber than before... I think I've seen this topic before too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Also "star trek offline" is a lame attempt at trying to be smart, I mean a 2 year old could have come up with that!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
i like how people post aying how bad something is and its the reason they wont buy a life time and trash the lifers but they also say that the game is good lol
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothball View Post
Also "star trek offline" is a lame attempt at trying to be smart, I mean a 2 year old could have come up with that!
I bet he eats paint chips....
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
A little downtime and people come rushing to the forums to whine about Cryptic dropping the ball. They are no doubt in the process of getting all the hardware up (and after they're done rolling around in it, they'll probably reinvest some of that money we lifetime subscribers put in) for the shard to be ready for launch day. There are numbers far in excess of anything they expected playing this game. That's bound to create some issues, but this has been the exception rather than the rule. If you think back to why things were so turbulent at times in the open beta, you'll recall that it was due to the sheer volume of players who were on at any one time. Throughout the open beta we rarely crashed once they figured out the place to cap the population, and when we did crash Cryptic always had the server back up often inside of about two hours, three was the longest I saw it down. I've seen games post release not get their servers back up as quickly. Part of the problem with having us all in one huge community is that when one is down, every one is down. A great many MMOs go the route of splitting up the community, so that when a single problem interrupts service from one server, you could always create another character on another server. The fact that we're all on one shard creates a rush of people who want to complain on the forums, as we've all been booted out at the same time.