Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 12:49 AM
250 american dollars.... for something i'll have unlimited time playing for as long as the game is online.... where can i go to see a movie over and over without repeatedly paying for it. I can't go to the bar for one night without an 80 or hundred dollar bar tab.

250 is dirt cheap as far as entertainment goes.

Plus I played Anarchy online on and off for almost 8 years.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Know I will be playing past 16 months, even if only causally. Anything beyond that point is FREE!
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu View Post
Please only post if you genuinely did buy a lifetime membership.

I used a cunning comparison equation.

STO deluxe + lifetime cost me $420 Australian dollars

$420 would have bought me

Dinner for 4 at a nice restaurant in my home town of Melbourne...or
Dinner for one and a hotel room for the night in town ...or
A Nice hotel room in town for the night and an inexpensive hooker for an hour...or
Two Nice hookers for an hour and a cheap hotel room for the night ...or
Three nice hookers for an hour and staying at home for the night

Now all these experiences are one night of fun. So I reason that if I play this for as little as two nights then I am ahead.

How did you justify it?
Ive paid out at least $3000 so far in MMO dues. $230 lifetime is a great deal if they keep the game going.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 12:52 AM
For me it was all about costs. I've been following STO since it was first announced under the development of Prepetual Entertainment (RIP). With that said I've given roughly 3-4 years of my life following this game and trying to be an active part of the community. I figure if that dosn't constitute the need for a lifetime sub then I don't know what does. I'm going to play STO for a long time... after roughly two or so years the lifetime sub begins to pay for itself. Also the added character slots were a big factor.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Hmm, $240 for 16months of entertainment available virtually everyday for say 23hrs. Where else can you get a deal like that?
Lt. Commander
# 16
I am a major MMO freak, and, since I have a sugar mama that keeps me fat and happy and loves the fact that I game... she also knows how much of a ST geek I am.

STO's official release is on mah birfday, so she asked if I wanted it all. I said... "Well, honey, I don't have 4 storage units full of star trek collectables for nothing..."

So she, without hesitation and a loving look in her eyes, handed me the debit card. She'd apparently been saving up for the lifetimer and all the collectable goodies for me for the past couple months without me knowing it.

She's just so awesome lol dang I am a lucky man
Lt. Commander
# 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CultofCthulhu View Post
Please only post if you genuinely did buy a lifetime membership.

I used a cunning comparison equation.

STO deluxe + lifetime cost me $420 Australian dollars

$420 would have bought me

Dinner for 4 at a nice restaurant in my home town of Melbourne...or
Dinner for one and a hotel room for the night in town ...or
A Nice hotel room in town for the night and an inexpensive hooker for an hour...or
Two Nice hookers for an hour and a cheap hotel room for the night ...or
Three nice hookers for an hour and staying at home for the night

Now all these experiences are one night of fun. So I reason that if I play this for as little as two nights then I am ahead.

How did you justify it?
Well, you forgot to add in the doctor costs for the STDs from the hooker route. On top of that, (lol) most of the people playing this are virgins, so what does it matter if we turned down a fun night with some hookers for a lifetime of enjoyment from a video game? Personally, I could have bought some more ammo for my 50 cal. For the record, I bought the collectors whatever-the-crap, biggest package my local Gamestop offered as well as the lifetime subscription. What's a few more years with virginity gonna hurt other than pride?
Lt. Commander
# 18
well I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 12:54 AM
Ok, myself and my live-in fiance are sharing an account. No problem, given that we have wildly different play styles.

We figured out that lifetime was 16 months of monthly sub. We chose not to buy the Collector's Edition because we didn't see anything in it that we just HAD to have. Truth be told, I got pretty burned in the Age of Conan release and just wasn't willing to shuck out another $200 for whatever they call 'Collectable'.

Now, we've had a pretty good experience with Turbine and out LotRO lifetime membership and we discussed it for this one and decided to go ahead with it. The key questions we asked were:

Are they adding no-additional-fee content in the near future? Yes.
Are we impressed with the game so far? Yes
Can we see ourselves playing the game in a year and a half? Even with knowing that Old Republic is coming out? Yes.

So it was a no brainer for us. But again, we're only paying out $280 including the game itself.

As for your almost $500, that is for you to decide.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 12:54 AM
I failed to buy a Lifetime on LoTRO and then after playing for two years I realized what a mistake that was. I ended up buying the lifetime then because I knew the game would be going strong for at least two more years, which it is.

SO when this one came along I simply said:

1) Do you love Star Trek? You know you do
2) Will you play it for over a year. You know you will

So that was an easy investment. Heck, I paid more for a pair of tickets to KA in Las Vegas last year, and it was well worth every penny. And that lasted less than two hours.