Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
I can take the servers going up and down, its all part of gaming, and yes it is bloody irritating with it being the headstart weekend. But what is really begining to get on my nerves now is the complete lack of informtaion from anyone at Cryptic. On the Federation News Network page, the posts the Devs make are left open for everyone to post on. In my opinion these should be locked by the Devs so that they can post there to keep us updated regarding the issues.

Just my 2 cents.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 12:19 AM
The game has not been released yet - so those of you complaining that it is a beta... IT IS A BETA. Hopefully they're getting the kinks worked out now so that by release they won't any major issues. We don't know why the servers are down - whether it was a catastrophic failure or whether they took them down to work on something to ensure stability post release day.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddible View Post
The game has not been released yet - so those of you complaining that it is a beta... IT IS A BETA. Hopefully they're getting the kinks worked out now so that by release they won't any major issues. We don't know why the servers are down - whether it was a catastrophic failure or whether they took them down to work on something to ensure stability post release day.
Err, the GAME HAS BEEN RELEASED.

We have payed for it, as a paying customer, we want the service that we payed for.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddible View Post
Beta's over dude. Characters have all been reset for the last time and the servers were shutdown for 3 days to prepare for the launch. From here on out, it's all official.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlok
Err, the GAME HAS BEEN RELEASED.

Actually, owning a copy of the game right now without the proper retail license would be theft. The game has not been released yet. brah
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 12:23 AM
The point is you paid for their party which ended with someone spilling the champagne on the server...

As of this moment they are all too drunk to deal with it and have resorted to eating nachos and singing Klingon drinking songs.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTOLcm View Post
Actually, owning a copy of the game right now without the proper retail license would be theft. The game has not been released yet. brah
Yes it has, sorry to burst your bubble but not all games are sold over retail. Thats why we have this thing called the internet.

Seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Cryptic doesn't need to respond. People venting their frustration are immedietly confronted by one reason after another why there is something wrong with them posting here. Guess what, people have a right to be upset when they look forward to playing and are then unable to during what is supposed to be a headstart. It's called that for a reason. Every moment the server is down is a moment that the purpose of the head start, for us players, is not being fufilled.

I understand they have to get it ready for Tuesday, but not everyone has all day to play and they look forward to their limited game time. Give em a break. Let em vent, it's not their fault they expected the game to function, at least long enough to get past level 4.

Set course for the Longin Screen.... Engage.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
It's a matter of semantics whether you consider it release or not. Technically though, until the game releases 2/2 we're just given additional access time. No promise was made, is made, will ever be made that every time you want to play it will be available. Welcome to the internet. If your ISP goes down, do you get to pay them less because of the interruption in service? It's just a given with these things that they are going to crash. Personally, as I've said, I consider this a sign of just how well this game is already doing in terms of player base.

They can buy more hardware, but a huge built in player base is what makes MMO games thrive. If they're still having these issues, to me it points to the fact that there is no current cap on the server population that I've seen. Meaning, that there are so many people playing this game that even instanced by yourself you get little bursts of lag, and the servers are being brought to their knees and staying there for a couple hours before crashing. There are so many people so interested in playing this game instead of going do something else they come here and vent about the fact that they can't play right when they want to.

To me a product so many people are so passionate about ought to have a bright future.

It is ironic though, isn't it, how much buffer you leave between actual server needs at peak times, and the projected retained player base a month after launch and how much the two affect one another. If you were able to get the ideal hardware setup, would it fairly quickly pay for itself in terms of player retention due to a lack of server downtime? Or would the initial purchase price break a company to the point where it would start posting in the red if they didn't keep something over 50% of initial subscribers?
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
its not exactly great but seriously maybe you should not be playing mmo's, ones that are not even technically released yet if you just going to rant about it. everyone knows the first few days maybe even the first few weeks are going to be rough. live with it
So why is it Warhammer and LOTR both had smooth launches. It is becoming the norm not the exception that MMOs can launch fine. Well except for a company that is only trying to make a deadline that is 1/2 time most other MMOs take to develop.