Lt. Commander
# 1 You call this headstart?
01-30-2010, 11:46 PM
You've got to be kidding me.....There have been more issues that the open beta! This is ridiculous! Many people have pre-ordered the game knowing this head-start would help them out and the server goes down at least 3 times a day!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Welcome to open week of any MMO, when i played WOW on first week ithe servers spent more time down than up, sometimes they were even down for whole days so a couple of hours here and there is a breeze and not surprising.

Don't forget nothing test's a code like the first day of release.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsoletepower View Post
You've got to be kidding me.....There have been more issues that the open beta! This is ridiculous! Many people have pre-ordered the game knowing this head-start would help them out and the server goes down at least 3 times a day!
Every new MMO goes through this phase (and I've been in on the start of most of them). You should have seen World of ********'s open beta and launch..so bad that they gave eneryone an extra two weeks at first, then extended it to a month.

Also, we have more players then we did in OB; and will have eve more players on launch day. It's actuallyt been a pretty smooth headstart as new MMOs go - Age of Conan was the most recent 'nightmare' launch - client was crashing every two hours for ost folks (massive memory leask); most of the promised PVP content was missiong; and those servers were as stable as a greased pig on jello.

Should improve after the first month or so. If that kind of thing bothers you, don't 'activate until April; should be much more stable by then.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 12:04 AM
" stable as a greased pig on jello."

LoL
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Every new MMO goes through this phase (and I've been in on the start of most of them). You should have seen World of ********'s open beta and launch..so bad that they gave eneryone an extra two weeks at first, then extended it to a month.

Also, we have more players then we did in OB; and will have eve more players on launch day. It's actuallyt been a pretty smooth headstart as new MMOs go - Age of Conan was the most recent 'nightmare' launch - client was crashing every two hours for ost folks (massive memory leask); most of the promised PVP content was missiong; and those servers were as stable as a greased pig on jello.

Should improve after the first month or so. If that kind of thing bothers you, don't 'activate until April; should be much more stable by then.
Just asking a simple question: Why is this common practice... don't you think that company's would learn from their mistakes in the past?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 12:12 AM
Yes yes thank you everyone for the comments. My whole point was that after all the MMO's over the years you'd think they'd learn from mistakes and first week disasters but no.......And load is such a lame excuse.....How could they not anticipate load at peak hours with the hype and very public sales figures?? That was the whole point of the beta, to test things like load, stability etc. Don't give me BS about first week MMO routine because if they had really planned this out they could have planned for all this mess!
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Well, Cryptic has Champions Online, but these people who work on STO they are completely different group. So just consider this as a first time MMO release for this Cryptic group. They have no experience with MMOs and especially with networking side of them. It looks like their account server is running out of licenses or something. I have a feeling that these guys in STO-Cryptic studio have no idea what they are doing.

I think most of our problems are related to the account/login server. A lot of problems are related to the changing zones. So I guess when you leave one instance and another instance is loading our accounts need to re-authenticate with the login server since every instance I'd assume is a virtual server. I guess thats why they can't fix this so easily by just plugging in some more RAM. It seems to be related to the authentication with the database where all our accounts are. it just feels like all the issues we are having are related to this...

Or maybe its just my buttcheaks are talking... Anyway, I am going to sleep.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
It's people like the OP that make MMO's no fun. If you can't accept that this type of game is always going to have bugs when it firsts comes out, save us all the trouble and don't play.

I am a programmer/web developer and fully understand what these guys are going through to get this game out and ready. It is IMPOSSIBLE to predict everything that is going to happen on an MMO, no matter how many have been created in the past. Every game is different, and will have different bugs to sort out and fix. Dealing with internet based technology brings in millions of unknown variables that react in ways never seen before with every new MMO released. There is just no possible way to predict every little detail until live testing of the environment can be done.

As for anticipating server loads and the number of people who will play...Seriously? That is a statistical impossibility. How many people do you see on here complaining about things and swearing up and down they won't play this game anymore but somehow still continue to try and login? It's just not plausible to predict the exact amount of load that is going to be placed on a server until you open the game to EVERYONE, not just a beta.

Give these guys a break, they want us to enjoy this game as much as we want to, but we need to let them do their jobs so that we can all have a better experience as the game goes on!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 12:28 AM
@Entwil

Here here.

@Whiners:

Problems are to be expected, be grateful there was a head start period at all. The game is still, technically, in a beta format. In that it has yet to be released but is being played and 'tested' by a select group of people (those who pre ordered).

If you don't like it; stop posting, cancel your order, go play WoW, and leave the rest of us to enjoy the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
This should have been called a "Dead Start"... I can't believe you got people to "pre-order" only to keep the servers "down", the entire time.

The worest insult is the "Life time membership"...why don't you just come out and say you don't expect this game to last more that 1 year. Get your **** together folks, you are embarrising.