Lt. Commander
# 1 Tractor Beams Overpowered
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Tractor Beams are overpowered when it comes to PvP. Especially since there are very limited countermeasures (especially at the first Tier).

Not only that, it should be just a pure root with the ability to resist and not a DoT with a root.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Tractor beam mainly prevents you from turning and slows down your speed a bit. If you increase power to engines and hit evasive you can easily force your way out of it. You can also use jam sensors or polarize hull to counter it. I think it is a pretty reasonable skill at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 04:13 PM
tractor beams annoying but fine as it is, at t1 you have evasive manuvears and polorize hull that work fine at either bringing your guns to bear, and just getting out of there.

If people keep crying every powers OP this games gonna be very dull as soon as they're all nerfed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingBlades
Tractor beam mainly prevents you from turning and slows down your speed a bit. If you increase power to engines and hit evasive you can easily force your way out of it. You can also use jam sensors or polarize hull to counter it. I think it is a pretty reasonable skill at the moment.
Yeah, but that's not an option for new players who are given the standard Tactical with High Yield, Science with Tachyon Beam, and Engineer with Emergency Shields. Because they are unable to purchase new officers until they earn enough to replace skills or officers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Yeah, but that's not an option for new players who are given the standard Tactical with High Yield, Science with Tachyon Beam, and Engineer with Emergency Shields. Because they are unable to purchase new officers until they earn enough to replace skills or officers.
Same applies for the guys with Tractor beam, if they've managed to do it to get that skill why cant you?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Tractor Beams are overpowered when it comes to PvP. Especially since there are very limited countermeasures (especially at the first Tier).

Not only that, it should be just a pure root with the ability to resist and not a DoT with a root.
I've often said how much of a showstopper tractor beam is for KDF.

It's not 'overpowered' by any means. It's immensely situational, it just so happens that so many KDF rely so heavily on positional firing and hit and run, that tractor beam completely counters their strategy.

I think what needs to be pointed out is that this is not so much an indication of tractor beam being overpowered, as much as it is an indication that some players may be opting for strategies that are much too reliant on opportunity.

Cannons are wonderful. They are the highest damage dealing, most energy efficient weapons in the game with a excellent variety of damage types and a good synergy in the skill tree. That can lead players to relying on them too heavily, and not realizing that they are putting all their eggs in one basket.

The more feds realize that KDF are relying on positional weapons, the more they will counter with making themselves more maneuverable, targetting enemy engines, and tractor beam.

Adapt, and overcome.

Quote:
I'm going to say this as gently as possible, but get back in there and earn your stripes. The last thing you can bring to this discussion is a lack of preparation as an excuse.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
I'm going to say this as gently as possible, but get back in there and earn your stripes. The last thing you can bring to this discussion is a lack of preparation as an excuse.
I have to agree with Meat here. All Klingons start with enough Honor points to change all 3 of their starting BOff's' powers. It's only 75 Honor for 1st tier powers and Klingons don't even have to worry about the ground powers for their BOffs as the only time they'll use them is in the one ground War Zone, that's currently closed due to bugs. Even then, if they were in a full group, their BOffs still wouldn't join them. So that's only 225 Honor to change all 3 Ensign space skills. If you also want to change the officers themselves that's another 300. We all start with something like 600 plus what we earn in those first missions before ever leaving Qo'nos.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar
I have to agree with Meat here. All Klingons start with enough Honor points to change all 3 of their starting BOff's' powers. It's only 75 Honor for 1st tier powers and Klingons don't even have to worry about the ground powers for their BOffs as the only time they'll use them is in the one ground War Zone, that's currently closed due to bugs. Even then, if they were in a full group, their BOffs still wouldn't join them. So that's only 225 Honor to change all 3 Ensign space skills. If you also want to change the officers themselves that's another 300. We all start with something like 600 plus what we earn in those first missions before ever leaving Qo'nos.
Thanks monthar. I wasn't going to bother explaining that, because I would expect that anyone who had played klingons would already know this, which puts this argument in perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
This is mostly untrue.

The tutorial boffs start with those skills, however the boffs earned in the first few missions get different skills, and then there are the ones that randomly ask to be a part of your crew.

Any new players should be able to get whatever skills they wish prior to level 6.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:

PVP is a game of chess. Powers are powerful unless you have a counter. If you want to counter tractorbeam there are skills you can use, and easily counter all tractor beams.

Tractor is not over powered, and I say this as a BoP captain who is screwed without tractor counters.