Lt. Commander
# 1 So Kirk was an Engineer?
01-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm not a rabid fan of ST that knows its ins and outs but if someone were to make a character from the Star Trek TV's shows, movies, books...etc. how would you make them according to the Rules of STO?

So from my understanding, if Spock and Bones were Science based because of their blue shirts, that would mean Captain Kirk chose a career as an Engineering Officer because of his tan colored shirt?

What traits/skills woulld he have?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 09:52 AM
you didn't hear? Kirk beat the Kobiyashi Maru last weekend.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Actually in the original series gold was the colour that denoted a command speciality and red denoted the operations side of the ship (security, engineering etc) As of TNG the red and gold swapped over and cryptic have changed things again slightly in the game as red is now tactical; not command and gold is restricted to engineering
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Scotty was an engineer ... he wore red.

In the original it seemed that the following was the case:

Sciences = Blue
Engineering & Security = Red
Command & Operations (including helm/navigation etc) = Gold

That changed in TNG to:

Sciences = Blue
Engineering, Operations & Security = Gold
Command = Red

hat might be be 100% but is more or less as far as I can tell
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
This question has been asked... in the episode of DS9 WHen Sisko gets to Kirk time and is asked why he is not wearing commander's colours

And yeah, in Kirk's time gold = captain, red = engineer
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 11:08 AM
IIRC, Kirk eventually became a navigator in his first tour of duty, under Captain Garrovick aboard the USS Farragut.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 11:10 AM
kirk started his startfleet career as security
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
The other posters are correct about the changes in the division colors between series (essentially, Shatner looked best in gold, while Stewart would've looked awful in that color).

So yes, things have changed, and perhaps the biggest change in STO is that there is now no longer an official "command color", gold or red -- captains typically wear their division colors.

One thing I do, that I picked up from someone else here and that I have seen other players doing, is to let the combadges signify captaincy.

My captain, whose background is science, wears a gold combadge with the Command starburst on it. My bridge officers and crew wear silver combadges which carry their division emblems.

This way, you can still tell who's the captain at a glance.

Hope this helps,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm wearing Red my tactical and engineering are wearing yellow and my sciences are wearing blue.

If it was based in kirks time i'd be wearing gold, my operations/secutiry are redshirts (ftw) and science/medical are still blue.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
To really say that a color denotes position or career isn't accurate. For instance, Worf has wron 3 different uniforms between TNG and DS9. In TNG he wore both the Yellow/Gold and the Red. In DS9 and First Contact he wore the Grey shoulders, black torso uniform with the red undershirt.

Gordi was the same way, he worn both red and yellow uniforms. The only uniform that seems to denote career is Blue, which is Medical.

But also, Gordi first started on the Bridge, not as a Engineer, so one could say the Red is Operations. Operations could encompess the Commmanding Officer and Number One. Therefore, there wouldn't be a command color. So operations would be red, science would be blue, and yellow/gold would be engineering...in the TNG universe. In STO, the operations part of the ship would be what doesn't have a color, unless you use TNG color schemes, in which case Tactical would be red, as it is an operations position. But again you could argue the yellow/gold is tactical, as both Tasha Yarr and Worf both wore yellow/gold uniforms at the tactical position. Work wore the red uniform as a Helmsman as did Gordi.

So really color is all screwie and Cryptic just made it more so that way...:p