Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunami View Post
It was me that stated that.

I still believe we need to see the hull breach's, flickering forcefields etc, and crew flying out into space.
Please no on people flying out into space. It definitely would put the game into the MA rating category

I personally would like them to drop "people" all together and may is simple "life support" percentage, when life support is low, repairs are slower.

When I picked the name "RedShirtedExtra" it was because I identify with the extas, the guys that make things happen in the background without credit. Seeing them replaced without even as much as stopping at a space station.

IMHO the ship death penalty in STO would be restart at nearest (or selected) starbase. As it stand now it take longer to recover from defeat than an almost defeat. I pulled out of a battle with 1% hull integrity, it took longer to get to full health, than 15 seconds it would have taken to respawn.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtedExtra
I have played many MMORPG killed many monsters and played PVP MMORPG and won and lost many battles. STO is the first time I actually thought of the casualties. My ship has 200 crew and many times I am down to 25% or lost ship altogether, or blown up another ship with 100s of crew. It feels very sobering, unlike most games where you only are killing the one trying to kill you, in STO you are killling many people that you would never see.

This game is set in the mirror universe, we are the bad guys.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 08:25 AM
in PotBS you actually see your crew hit by cannon balls and blown overboard. It was actually kinda cool to see.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Its supposed to be crew, that makes the most sense.

I would like to see escape pods, or to see us respawn at a starbase which makes more sense....

But we wont get that.

As it is, the crew is particularly stupid as it does little to nothing and regenerates ridiculously fast, its just to give the impression we have a death penalty.

And it wouldn't give this game a MA rating...its just star trek. People die all the time, the current hull damage just looks like the ships burned, it still needs hull breach's shown at least, holes in the ship =/

Life support wouldnt make any sense, as it would require power therefor be tied up to Aux. Plus if life support was low, you wouldn't be flying the ship. At all.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
This game is set in the mirror universe, we are the bad guys.
I can't wait to put the gold sash on my liberated borg flying around in a Connie!

Which pre-order came with an agony booth?
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtedExtra
I have played many MMORPG killed many monsters and played PVP MMORPG and won and lost many battles. STO is the first time I actually thought of the casualties. My ship has 200 crew and many times I am down to 25% or lost ship altogether, or blown up another ship with 100s of crew. It feels very sobering, unlike most games where you only are killing the one trying to kill you, in STO you are killling many people that you would never see.

In open beta someone stated they wanted to see the people flying out into space on hull breaches, thankfully that would never be but in.

While this is just a game and the thoughts quickly pass, it makes me think about RL bomber pilots and captains of naval ships and some of the guilt they must live with.

On a lighter note, when my personnel replentish, where do the come from, Is there a party I am not aware of?

ROFL, all of this coming from a dude with the name "RedShirtedExtra"
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Atleast in this game you can't see the crew flug overboard like PotBS. The little buggers would get blown off deck and float around for a few mins waiting for pickup that might never come.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Maybe the entire crew is Photonic, and the reason they respawn so fast is because outside of combat their holographic buddies and your engineering BOffs can get the systems effected back online and they can just pick up where they left off. The only real people manning your ships are you, your BOffs, and those four security people you can take to the surface with you. What? Did you think Starfleet would seriously leave a ship in the hands of an Ensign if it wasn't expendable? Refitting a Maranda with holoemitters and putting in a skeleton crew to run the bridge would be easier than getting together a full crew and a trained captain with combat experience.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
It is taking every last ounce of mental energy I have to suspend disbelief in this game...

Isn't it fabulously interesting that in STO we feel bad about killing but in other MMOs we do not, ever.
Supposedly it's easier to kill when you never see the face of your enemy and you're just shooting at a ship or lobbing shells dozens of miles away. Supposedly, it's a lot harder to deal with killing when it's face to face and you can see the individual whose life you just ended.

Yet in fact, space combat can get a little depressing...
...especially when the starship captain in all of us is screaming for a diplomatic solution.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelabjur View Post
Maybe the entire crew is Photonic, and the reason they respawn so fast is because outside of combat their holographic buddies and your engineering BOffs can get the systems effected back online and they can just pick up where they left off. The only real people manning your ships are you, your BOffs, and those four security people you can take to the surface with you. What? Did you think Starfleet would seriously leave a ship in the hands of an Ensign if it wasn't expendable? Refitting a Maranda with holoemitters and putting in a skeleton crew to run the bridge would be easier than getting together a full crew and a trained captain with combat experience.
I like that explanation. Doesn't fit with the explanation how the player becomes captain though. Would however explain why a single captain could have 8 ships at their disposal. If ships could easily be built and expendable and how the crew comes back so quickly. Very possible there is mixture of each.