Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 01:06 PM
When looking at the list of skill of your already enlisted BOs (U key), how do you figure which one is on which rank slot? Is there any other window?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by To3cutter View Post
As I understand it on a star cruiser you will have seven engineering BO skills:

2x Ensign
2x Lt.
2x Lt. Commander
1X Commander

That's going by this chart that shows a star cruiser having a Lt. Commander and a Commander slot for engineers.
I'm lost on this as well, that ship listing is where I've been checking to see how many skills they can use.

According to that diagram in a Star Cruiser you have one Comm. Engineer and one Lt. Comm. Engineer. That would indicate that the Lt. Comm. has three abilities (Lt. Comm. + Lt. + Ensign) while also inferring that the other officer of Comm. rank would have one more. The question is what that fourth ability would be. My guess would be another Lt. Comm. ability. That would leave you with 3 Lt. Comm. + 2 Lt. + 2 Ensign, which would be a pretty noticeable difference from only 5 abilities.

I do have one question however. I've been trying to plan my main character and his BO abilities out for a while and I've not come across any information that indicates whether a Lt. Comm (for instance) could have three ensign abilities, or if he/she would have to pick 1 ensign + 1 Lt. + 1 Lt. Comm. ability.

Thanks if anyone has the answer, it would clear up some confusion.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
As far as I know (and I've also written this somewhere in The Wall of Text, your BO abilities are based on rank, so you will only be able to have one ensign skill for ground combat and one for space. If you rank it up it will turn into a Lieutenant skill. It will then take up the Lieutenant slot. The BO ''seats'' limit you to using skills up to the level indicated by the seat rank.

Hope this answers your question
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 11:45 PM
One question I've had is does your profession in any way affect your ship/bridge officers? I mean, except for the obvious part that your profession has skill trees to boost the abilities of your equivalent bridge officers (Engineer boosts Engineer BOs, Science boosts Science BOs, Tactical boosts Tactical BOs)?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Bridge officers are basically just an ''excuse'' for where your skills come from if you focus on the ''result'' (which is how many skills you have access to.) This is a rather crude way to see it but it makes it easy to see the connections.

Bridge officers are affected by your skill point placements as you know, and also your profession affects which ship class you can fly more efficiently, which affects how many BO's of each type you can have, and how many skills you can have. In space you will only have access to one lieut. commander rank skill at a time in a highest rank ship, and that will be a skill of your own class, unless you fly a ship from another class' path.

So in other words, your most elaborately skilled and well planned BO will be of your own class, at least in space. in ground combat, your BO's of your own class will have more effective skills because of your skill points into your own class' ground combat.

Apart from this, your BO's aren't very affected by your class, you can choose to place your skill points into other things, like Engineering, or weapons, or starship command to be more of a ''jack of all trades'' character, and you'll be able to use more of your other BO's skills in other ships.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalanie
As far as I know (and I've also written this somewhere in The Wall of Text, your BO abilities are based on rank, so you will only be able to have one ensign skill for ground combat and one for space. If you rank it up it will turn into a Lieutenant skill. It will then take up the Lieutenant slot. The BO ''seats'' limit you to using skills up to the level indicated by the seat rank.

Hope this answers your question
Not exactly .

I've read in the opening post that there are rank slots for BO abilities. How do you figure what they are, or even know that there are any? I mean at the start of the game I was given 3 BOs (4 actually, but one was eaten by crappy code). When "choosing" them I was shown a huge tooltip with lots of text and colors describing some abilities or something. I clicked OK, we'll read the details later. Problem is that when I open my skills window (U key), choose a BO, choose 'Skills', I see a list of abilities. No hyperlinks, no details, just 8 skills. For instance:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8...0020116082.jpg

I presume that some of them are ground based but I am not sure, I have no clue which do what exactly, which belong to which rank, etc. Did I miss some window that can show me the same information that I briefly saw in that huge tooltip?

Let's assume we have no other source of information besides the game client. How do you figure which of your BO skills belongs to which rank? Is it, from top to bottom, ALWAYS:
1. Space Ensign
2. Ground Ensign (even if the ground skill is above the space one in the BO skill allocation window)
3. Space Lt
4. Ground Lt
5. Space LtCmdr
6. Ground LtCmdr
7. Space Cmdr
8. Ground Cmdr ?

And once again, anything in-game to confirm that?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 08:37 AM
When you recieve the BO skill 1 and 4 is open. When you get more skills the second ground skill to unlock is in position 2, and the second space skill is in position 6. That's the in-game evidence we've seen pointing to the skills' grades being listed in that order.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Added a link to this from my Beginner's guide!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Thank you very much Bones
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalanie
When you recieve the BO skill 1 and 4 is open. When you get more skills the second ground skill to unlock is in position 2, and the second space skill is in position 6. That's the in-game evidence we've seen pointing to the skills' grades being listed in that order.
Don't you mean 1 and 2 are open? Look at the picture I have linked, it shows 1 in the first two, which are assume are the Ensign skills that are active when we get the BO.