Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofit26
Not exactly .

I've read in the opening post that there are rank slots for BO abilities. How do you figure what they are, or even know that there are any? I mean at the start of the game I was given 3 BOs (4 actually, but one was eaten by crappy code). When "choosing" them I was shown a huge tooltip with lots of text and colors describing some abilities or something. I clicked OK, we'll read the details later. Problem is that when I open my skills window (U key), choose a BO, choose 'Skills', I see a list of abilities. No hyperlinks, no details, just 8 skills. For instance:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8...0020116082.jpg

I presume that some of them are ground based but I am not sure, I have no clue which do what exactly, which belong to which rank, etc. Did I miss some window that can show me the same information that I briefly saw in that huge tooltip?

Let's assume we have no other source of information besides the game client. How do you figure which of your BO skills belongs to which rank? Is it, from top to bottom, ALWAYS:
1. Space Ensign
2. Ground Ensign (even if the ground skill is above the space one in the BO skill allocation window)
3. Space Lt
4. Ground Lt
5. Space LtCmdr
6. Ground LtCmdr
7. Space Cmdr
8. Ground Cmdr ?

And once again, anything in-game to confirm that?
Click on the Skills button along the top.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalanie

You yourself will recieve 4 space skills. 3 of these are fixed, 1 is class based. You'll have one kit, and one class based ground ability to use, plus whatever skills you picked up as racial traits

At Admiral rank, you'll have six different ships to choose from for each path. The only difference is, for instance for engineer, three of them have more tactical officer slots, three of them have more Science. They still have the same firepower so since some science skills do heavy damage I'm not sure what the true DPS output difference would be. They have the same amount of shields, but the Star Cruisers have a little more crew.

Stats:

Max. skills on ship:
10 skills from BO's, 4 from you
Max. skills on ground:
16 skills from BO's, 2 skills from you

Max skills trained:
10 x 8 = 80 skills, 40 ground, 40 space from BO's
4 space skills, 1 ground skill, 1 kit for you + possible racial traits
Great guide. This is, however, incorrect (or possibly just unclear).

Each player recieves 1 general space skill, 1 class-specific space skill, and 1 class-specific ground skill per rank. Thus in the fullness of time a player will have 10 space and 5 ground skills by default. In addition, player kits may hold (at least) four skills.

This means at admiral rank, a player may expect to have access to 24 skills in space (10 personal and 14 BO) and 25 skills on the ground (9 personal and 16 BO).
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks for pointing out the fact that we recieve more of our own skills than I knew. As people are progressing through ranks more information is becoming available and some of the facts about space skills and, as Dokushin said, how many skills you get seem to be in need of revision.

I will try to suck the truth out of whatever source i can and get back to you on this, and edit the guide in the process.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Quote:

You yourself will recieve 4 space skills. 3 of these are fixed, 1 is class based. You'll have one kit, and one class based ground ability to use, plus whatever skills you picked up as racial traits

Great guide, this part isnt correct though, you receive a lot more class based space skills than you mention.

For example (using engineer again).

General:
Lieutenant - Evasive Maneuvers
Lt.Commander - Brace for Impact
Commander - Ramming Speed
Captain - Abandon Ship
Admiral - not sure

Enginner Specific:
Lieutenant - Rotate Shield Frequency
Lt.Commander - EPS Power Transfer
Commander - Nadion Inversion
Captain - Miracle Worker
Admiral - not sure

There is a good thread listing most of the skill here http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89520
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokushin View Post
Click on the Skills button along the top.
What for? Of course I've clicked there. What do I get? 2 boxes where I can train the two skills. The question was: where do I get details about the 8 skills the BO has? Which one is on what rank? How do I even figure that BOs have one skill per rank?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to get a little HOW-TO about how to train a BO.

For instance I have a science officer with the following Space skills:

1. Jam Sensors I
2. Tractor Beam II
3. Photonic Shock Wave I
4. Gravity Well II

I suppose these are Ensign, Lt, LtCdr and Cmdr skills, in that order.

Now I want to keep Jam Sensors and add Tachyon Beam. What are my options? I'll just list what I think I understood, any comments and corrections are welcome.

* Since I am Engineer (level 9), training the BO myself is out of the question

* Both the Jam Sensors I and Tachyon Beam I skills are of the Ensign rank, so I can't have both. I need them to be JS1 and TB2 or JS2 and TB1 in order to have both.

* I will need to level up Jam Sensors to II to free an Ensign rank skill slot (but then will it replace Tractor Beam II ? ). Also, I'm an Engi and can't train Science Skills, so:

* I will need to buy a BO with Tachyon2 to replace Tractor2 OR ( buy a BO with Tachyon1 AND one with JS2 to replace both slots 1 and 2). Do I or the BOs need to be of a certain rank in order to do that? Say, I graduate to LtCmdr, promote the BO to Lt, and replace the two skills? But then I'd need to spend BO skill points in order to promote the BO to Lt, then waste them as I replace both skills 1 and 2? Or can I do the replacing right now: as a Lt, I buy a BO with with a Lt skill I need, and replace said Lt skill with the purchased Lt skill on my existing Ensign BO?

Also, if for instance I have two Ensign Science BOs, BO1 with JS1 and BO2 with Tachyon2, can I take Tachyon2 from BO2, move/teach it to BO1, and remove BO2 from the crew? Or is teaching from BO2 to BO1 is not feasible once BO2 has been commited to the crew?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
ty for the guide
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-04-2010, 07:42 AM
@neofit

my head is aching and ears are bleeding.

I have no experience of this just what I have read.

1) you can not trade a BO that has been commissioned.
2) You can not train a BO in skills that are not from your class.

So you want to keep jam sensors and replace it with tachyon beam. Tachyon beam is a tactical trait yes? So you can not do this, since you would have to trade your BO to another player (and Im assuming since this BO has so many skills you have him/her commissioned.) *** This you have already said: "training the BO myself is out of the question" ***

So you have to train Jam Sensors II, over writing Tractor Beam II, then train Tachyon 1 in, either from other BOs or NPC if you can.

"is teaching from BO2 to BO1 is not feasible once BO2 has been commited to the crew?"

I have read that only uncommissioned BOs can train other BOs.

I think then this means you can not do what you asked easily ... I kind of got lost in your post though in all honesty. **Edit: With regards to the rank of the BOs question - I think unecessary overthinking since the BO with the higher rank skill will already be of the rank to use the skill won't he/she? So the only BO needing promotion would be the BO you intend to use, who would need the promotion to use the ability anyway. **

This is interesting to see if I've understood everything I read so far, if someone knows I am wrong please correct me as my answer is purely from what I have read and nothing from ingame experience.

Final Edit: Your best bet is to get an uncommissioned BO and get some friends with those skills to train him for you as you want him lol.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
http://sto-intel.org/wiki/Ranks_and_Grades Here's when you get different ships, skills, etc.
Thank you, good site and information
Very much needed by everyone within the game
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-04-2010, 10:28 AM
this is great, thank you