Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 91
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
It's not out yet....right now it's a non wiping beta.....and they needed it for sure!!! No one should be writing reviews about the game yet.....cause technically it's not done. I agree this sucks hard....real fing hard in fact, but like I said it's not even launch yet...so lets try to save the fail flame-tard ness till after launch, then if it still sucks continue all the self indulgent *****ing and blaming none of us have a clue what the real problem is. Try yelling out the window or chant F*&^ u Cryptic to yourself softly...werks fer me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
I'm sure they have SOME idea. It's how you WORK that idea that matters.

You can't screw up a first impression like this. It sets the tone for personal references, first-look reviews, and basically piddles on the players who committed to the game willingly, without needing those reviews and references to say, "I'm in."

First impressions are critical. When your Headstart reliability becomes a JOKE amongst the gaming clans? That's a BAD precedent.

I think the OP's suggestions are in line with a professional business plan for a server host environment. My Site Operations crew for my web-focused ASP company works on similar principle: Servers are polled every minute. If there's no response after 3 tries, pages go to the ENTIRETY of the Site Ops crew. The on-call rep investigates, evaluates the issue, and if it's critical he'll post an update to all clients affected (we use email, but in more extreme circumstances we'll do the website itself - and those instances are RARE).

If the site is down for more than 10 minutes, the site crew is assembled to resolve immediately. Granted, our paying customers pay $10K/annual for our app. Most of us are paying $15/mo. But the approach is scalable and sensible.

I agree with the OP's suggestion. It's BUSINESS sense. STO, at its heart, is a business for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theminer49er View Post
It's not out yet....right now it's a non wiping beta.....and they needed it for sure!!! No one should be writing reviews about the game yet.....cause technically it's not done. I agree this sucks hard....real fing hard in fact, but like I said it's not even launch yet...so lets try to save the fail flame-tard ness till after launch, then if it still sucks continue all the self indulgent *****ing and blaming none of us have a clue what the real problem is. Try yelling out the window or chant F*&^ u Cryptic to yourself softly...werks fer me
Come talk to me again when your arguing phasers are Mk IV.
Lt. Commander
# 93
01-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
It's dead, Jim. I was just about to hit Lt. Commander, too, finally had a stretch of online time.

Looks like another death in the server.

To the above post. The reason people put their experience or titles on the table, is so people know who we're talking to, so we know its not just another jr. hamster on the mousewheel spouting off. Just like in the real world, experience, qualifications, etc. add up to knowing something about something. The only ones who generally have a problem with that is the hamsters. Not to say that all qualifications and knowledge are equal, and some are not entirely as effective as some might think to the specific topic, but still... speaking for myself, if I say I'm a 47 yo business exec, MBA, father, husband, etc. etc. its so you know from what base of experience the otherwise nebulous and faceless voice on the internet of hamsters are speaking from.
Well said. When I mention my experience it's so people know what I am basing my opinions on, not to put someone down. FYI. I'm a 45 yo senior I.T. person with a 9 year old daughter.
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theminer49er View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy it. This is supposed to be the production version game, It is not a supposed to be a beta. Cryptic should have known how many people wanted to play based on the preorders alone, so I don't buy the sizing argument, or too many people on the server argument. This game/infrastructure is not production ready.
Lt. Commander
# 95
02-01-2010, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
Down again - ready for another 3 hours downtime.

Your too much... the game isnt even launched yet.. and you are complaining about down time.. this is to fix the game.. soo in a month there arnt down times..
Lt. Commander
# 96
02-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Spanner
Sorry, but I don't buy it. This is supposed to be the production version game, It is not a supposed to be a beta. Cryptic should have known how many people wanted to play based on the preorders alone, so I don't buy the sizing argument, or too many people on the server argument. This game/infrastructure is not production ready.

Id doesnt matter... I dont care if they new they were gonna have 100k people trying to play.. You cant test server arcitecture for 100k people.. BEFORE you have 100k People playing.. Its psycailly impossible..

the only way to do this.. Is get 100k people playing.. and then tweak the code for a few weeks..

Im sorry you dont like that.. but that is the facts of MMO gaming. If you have a better way, go hire youself out for consulting soo all these MMO's launch smoothly.. you would make millions. (good luck with that btw)