Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I have to agree with the OP. I get that cryptic needs to get everything tuned for the release, and that many people are playing the headstart. But it would be better to take the server offline for 6 hours and announce it and get it right, then have 3 server downs on one day.

Just my 2 cents
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Your standards seem rather obvious, to the point that they're probably already there. Setting a standard does not equate to meeting a standard though.

1 and 2 are probably implemented. Unless you're referring to the time to communicate downtime to players - in which case it can be just as automatic (though still somewhat meaningless - the only players noticing unexpected downtime are the ones not able to play, the difference between 2 and 20 minutes means little in such a case).

3 is all well and good as an idea, but not really feasible as you put it. The reasons a system fails can vary too widely to expect consistent recovery within such a short time span. Things often fail for a reason, and it makes more sense in the long run to isolate and fix that reason rather than just going for the reset button on everything and hoping it all magically keeps working this time. Longer outages now for less outages later.

People need to understand that this is a brand new product. It's not like rolling out a server with the latest stable Apache release. They don't have years of experience working with this system to just go "oh look, the _ is down again, do _" with a nice pretty flowchart of problems and solutions. Most of the problems experienced at this point in something's release are more along the lines of "what the #($! just happened?"

In short, stop making wild guesses about what is or is not going on behind the scenes. I'm not saying they are doing things right, but It's a bit early to make such calls.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
...yeah, I stopped reading when you took credit for things that the devs most certainly had planned for weeks in advance...
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
Always good to get some reasoning folks on the forums discussions. Too often it degenerates to the lowest common denominator. Good example in your post from your firm. Thanks for contributing. I also have no doubt that Cryptic knows what we're referring to, but as you said, its how they work it. How they work it is based on their solutions and their teams' competencies... all the way to the top office.
Well if you say they suck then why do you buy software from them?

Those guys you think you are talking to -on a game forum- are not reading this forum, nor will anyone tell them what you have written here. If you think that their operations will change because someone wrote something in their forum you are delusional.

We all know that servers should be stable. They know it, we know it, everyone knows it. We all know that servers should be up as soon as possible.

So what in your post was new? They have standards for everything, they just can't meet them. Now if you tell them they have to meet them it makes it all better?

Err.. no.

BTW.... on the technical side, you dont seem to have any clue how such a server works. It's not a database server or a webserver. You can't just bring it back up when it crashes like nothing happened and it all will be good.

This is a server that actually may need programming, it's not just hardware. You can get corrupted data you need to fix, and you cant just type /fix on the console like you can with a database server and it will auto-fix...
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
OP. Good post. Cryptic does need to attended this.

I do wish they would have a little more detailed and timley communcation. That would solve a lot of the issues for most gameplayers.

I wonder if they ever got that new equipment they ordered installed?

I also bet that cryptic did not expect the turnout they received. Star Trek hits a much larger spectrum of people than your typical "game". Thusly this game will draw from larger and more diverse groups than most games do.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdehn
Your standards seem rather obvious, to the point that they're probably already there. Setting a standard does not equate to meeting a standard though.

1 and 2 are probably implemented.
Now who's making assumptions. Based on educated observations, I believe you are incorrect.

I don't care to the reasons, I care to the results. The standards and the targets, and the actual results. How we get there is for them to solve, there's no right way or wrong way, as we know from business. What does matter is that we achieve the targets.

Again, in my educated opinion and observation, we do not have such standards in place, or I wouldn't have mentioned them.

Unless other standards are very low, we would not have launched retail (would have seen later dates, or delays in retail launch - another sign of the quality of the planning process itself) with uptime or duration of outage standards off by 600 to 1200% to target.

If you didn't understand the original work and its relevance, this response is a waste of time, because you won't get the latter, either. No worries, if you're lucky and learn through your career opportunities, you will understand someday. But then again, you're not stopping to learn from others more experienced and knowledgable today (simply ridicule and hate the good for being good)...
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scay
Well if you say they suck then why do you buy software from them?
More hate of the good for being good. This is a perfect example of what young flame-tards do. When they can't argue the facts, and can't engage in a reasonable discussion, they deflect the subject and seek to undermine with vaporous rhetoric and ridicule.

Weak. Try to stay on topic and raise the bar.

And now... back to the game in progress.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Skip
Star Trek hits a much larger spectrum of people than your typical "game". Thusly this game will draw from larger and more diverse groups than most games do.
Yes, they get alot more refined feedback as a result. All the major IP's tend to see a more mature (older, experienced) audience in their playerbase, such as Star Trek, Star Wars, LOTRO...

They get folks like me, executives with long track records of successful leadership, playerbase who include CEO's, CFO's, EVP's, CIO's, and an impressive array of technical leadership who likely dwarf their own career and limited experience by comparison. Quite an opportunity, and quite a challenge, to keep up with the wealth of knowledge embedded in their community base.

I've been a business leader longer than these couple of flame-tards puppies have been out of the sac - 28 years...

... and I'm still learning... always try to, and always try to share and mentor along the way. Especially when the success of my present MMO and avatar enjoyment is on the line.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
I've been a business leader for 28 years, and I'm still learning... always try to, and always try to share and mentor along the way. Especially when the success of my present MMO and avatar enjoyment is on the line.
Wow, you are really full of yourself.

No one here is interested in your sharing and mentoring, because you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Well, other than that the servers should be more stable, which even my newborn son knows, and he can't even talk.

To tell someone else what his standards should be is just friggin hilarious. You don't know the situation, you don't know the environment, you have no clue how they are doing business and what their problems are.

Wow, yeah they really need the advice of someone without a clue.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 11:08 AM
amen brother!
As a quality control inspector i fully agree, and while there is a big difference between weld inspection and QC on a software product, all quality issues are effectively the same and boil down to one thing.........MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY