Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
You listened to my SUGGESTION when you gave out way too many beta keys too fast, after some of us paid for the beta keys as part of advertised features of the pre-order, and aside from voicing my dissatisfaction at your project leadership and planning, I suggested that you lower the time from 30 minutes to 15 to boot a player for inactivity. You showed you know how to listen to good ideas, that at least is a good sign from a project leadership perspective.

Here's another:

Your development leadership needs to set some key measures and quality standards immediately, and start taking them seriously (as demonstrated by action and outcomes, not words).

STANDARDS:

1. Game Server (defined as the server, the launcher, the account authenticator, and any other subsystem that by being offline would prevent players from entering and playing the game successfully) will provide immediate and automatic notice to Cryptic personnel when not operating. Standard = Level of Performance Expected = Automated notices sent to the Recovery Team during game server failure events. The Target for this Standard should be 100% of the time.

2. Game Server personnel will be on call 24/7 to ensure that when receiving automated notices of game server failure, the team is responding immediately to recover the gaming experience for customers. Standard = Level of Performance Expected = 2 Minute turnaround of Incident Communication to Recovery Team from time of receipt of automated game server failure notification. The Target for this responsiveness Standard should be 100% of the time.

And now the most important standard of them all:

3. Game Server outages should be reasonable in duration, given industry standards AND customer satisfaction - make it happen. Standard = Level of Performance Expected = Game Server outages will be recovered and players back online within ___ (15?) minutes of server outage notification. The Target for this Duration Standard should be 95% of the time, especially with the number of outages.

Your Top Priority for the technology team (and project overall) right now should be on getting your service recovery duration standards in line. A two-three hour server recovery period after a crash or maintenance is a complete failure.

The above doesn't include a Standard for Uptime overall, that's kind of a no-brainer, surely you have that (and surely are not meeting it.) That standard probably needs to be revisited, if it is anywhere close to meeting Standard given the current frequency and duration (should incorporate both in the measure) of service interruptions.

The development team leadership needs to seriously get on that server recovery issues and get the right people on the right job. They're far from satisfactory. Thank you, and hope this helps.

Posts like this tickle the #$^# out of me
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Standard = Level of Performance Expected = Game Server outages will be recovered and players back online within ___ (15?) minutes of server outage notification. The Target for this Duration Standard should be 95% of the time, especially with the number of outages.[/color]
15mins? hahahaha
Lt. Commander
# 23
You are so right, this statement had me laughing my bawls off. The op is so out of touch with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOSEBUMP View Post
15mins? hahahaha
Lt. Commander
# 24
lol, all I see in you is a college student who has some theory yet no real work experience.

Quote:
Yes, they get alot more refined feedback as a result. All the major IP's tend to see a more mature (older, experienced) audience in their playerbase, such as Star Trek, Star Wars, LOTRO...

They get folks like me, executives with long track records of successful leadership, playerbase who include CEO's, CFO's, EVP's, CIO's, and an impressive array of technical leadership who likely dwarf their own career and limited experience by comparison. Quite an opportunity, and quite a challenge, to keep up with the wealth of knowledge embedded in their community base.

I've been a business leader longer than these couple of flame-tards puppies have been out of the sac - 28 years...

... and I'm still learning... always try to, and always try to share and mentor along the way. Especially when the success of my present MMO and avatar enjoyment is on the line.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
"Shard will be coming down for emergency maintenance."

Three times its booted me and taken ages to register characters and get back in, one of which was a crash... not to mention yesterday... or the last two weeks before that...

I've been trying to get online since Friday mid-day, and only a mid-level lieutenant as a result thus far. Cryptic, very disappointing show of project leadership in my experience thus far.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
lol, all I see in you is a college student who has some theory yet no real work experience.
Well, he didn't really mean 28 years, he meant 28 days as the leading executive of a new internet company. It obviously went bankrupt after 28 days cause it couldn't meet his standards.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
10 years in senior leadership in a real estate industry (development, construction, and property management), and 18 years in executive leadership in the banking industry. As EVP, COO, or CFO, led most divisions of an organization over the years, many of which were I.T., and Planning. MBA, and other exclusive executive programs such as CCL.

But in the end, thank you to the couple foosballs who don't have nor demonstrate critical thinking in their posts, who like to demonstrate their hate for their fellow man, and thank you, too, for addiing value to this post in one way...

... bumping a constructive thread. Please continue to add that value, and continue to demonstrate your character.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
10 years in senior leadership in a real estate industry (development, construction, and property management), and 18 years in executive leadership in the banking industry. As EVP, COO, or CFO, led most divisions of an organization over the years, many of which were I.T., and Planning. MBA, and other exclusive executive programs such as CCL.

But in the end, thank you to the couple foosballs who don't have nor demonstrate critical thinking in their posts, who like to demonstrate their hate for their fellow man, and thank you, too, for addiing value to this post in one way...

... bumping a constructive thread. Please continue to add that value, and continue to demonstrate your character.
Since you've just stated you have no relative experience in this industry, every point you have tried to make in this thread is void. And mind you, thats flaming back at those that you also call a "flame-tard". Its like the pot calling the kettle black. For shame, sir... for shame.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Seems to be a misunderstanding about how these things work, too, on the part of the OP.

Server goes down or develops any of a series of pre-determined non-operational behavior, the systems are programmed to send a tweet or text message to about a dozen different phones.

Whoever hasn't been awake for 72 hours straight (and that number diminishes by the day) rushes to a computer somewhere, logs on, and tries to clean up the mess. In the meantime, they're poring over the logs to figure out exactly why it's happening -- and why it keeps happening every few hours or so. THAT is the problem that really needs fixing, not just rebooting the server... They also have to perform database integrity checks to ensure the player data wasn't corrupted before or during the crash.

On bringing it all back up, they need to be sure it's coming back up in a sane state. And then monitor for a while to be certain it isn't going to crash again within seconds because several tens of thousands of people are all trying to log on again simultaneously.

Once done, they go back to their offices and try to catch another catnap, or go home and take a shower and say hello to their neglected spouses and kids... and hope to have just a few hours before the next crisis.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redace66 View Post
amen brother!
As a quality control inspector i fully agree, and while there is a big difference between weld inspection and QC on a software product, all quality issues are effectively the same and boil down to one thing.........MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY
Our number one goal at our financial institution. All performance factors lead to the One, and result from the One.