Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadera
Seems to be a misunderstanding about how these things work, too, on the part of the OP.
Ah, would be interested in hearing more about what makes you think this.

Some of the others seem to have an understandable lack of experience and maturity that goes with their age, and don't understand that executives have clear line of sight to a venture's success factors, whether H.R., I.T., Marketing, Operations, etc.

To dumb it down... LOTRO as an example, brought their servers up within 5 minutes, had them in lock down for internal testing, and back open for business in minutes. About 10-15 minutes top.

At the end of the day, its about performance and standards, not understanding. That's what matters to leaders. For the teams we empower and support, we expect solutions and performance that achieve the goals. The details of the knitting don't matter to the executives or the customers, so long as the performance is there.

But when the performance isn't there, then comes the "leaning in." Thankfully, well-run shops have such standards to provide clarity for all ranks and the organization, for what matters, what we will achieve, and where our focus is. The standards and measures not only provide focus, but provide line of sight to accountability. Without these things, ventures are suboptimized often to the point of failure.

As the other chap said, the primary success factor is... Happy Customers.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Seems to be a misunderstanding about how these things work, too, on the part of the OP.

Server goes down or develops any of a series of pre-determined non-operational behavior, the systems are programmed to send a tweet or text message to about a dozen different phones.

Whoever hasn't been awake for 72 hours straight (and that number diminishes by the day) rushes to a computer somewhere, logs on, and tries to clean up the mess. In the meantime, they're poring over the logs to figure out exactly why it's happening -- and why it keeps happening every few hours or so. THAT is the problem that really needs fixing, not just rebooting the server... They also have to perform database integrity checks to ensure the player data wasn't corrupted before or during the crash.

On bringing it all back up, they need to be sure it's coming back up in a sane state. And then monitor for a while to be certain it isn't going to crash again within seconds because several tens of thousands of people are all trying to log on again simultaneously.

Once done, they go back to their offices and try to catch another catnap, or go home and take a shower and say hello to their neglected spouses and kids... and hope to have just a few hours before the next crisis.
Ehm, I don't know how to say this, but I have worked in a hosting company a few years back, we had about 5 servers running, our support was a joke and even WE had someone on night shift...
I mean, come on, takes 1 guy, maybe 2 to keep the damn thing going at night
Also, loved night shifts, best time to play WoW while waiting for the servers to crap out again
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
servers will be fine and stable in a few days, no need to get your panties all in a bunch
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:

Server goes down or develops any of a series of pre-determined non-operational behavior, the systems are programmed to send a tweet or text message to about a dozen different phones.

Whoever hasn't been awake for 72 hours straight (and that number diminishes by the day) rushes to a computer somewhere, logs on, and tries to clean up the mess. In the meantime, they're poring over the logs to figure out exactly why it's happening -- and why it keeps happening every few hours or so. THAT is the problem that really needs fixing, not just rebooting the server... They also have to perform database integrity checks to ensure the player data wasn't corrupted before or during the crash.

On bringing it all back up, they need to be sure it's coming back up in a sane state. And then monitor for a while to be certain it isn't going to crash again within seconds because several tens of thousands of people are all trying to log on again simultaneously.

Once done, they go back to their offices and try to catch another catnap, or go home and take a shower and say hello to their neglected spouses and kids... and hope to have just a few hours before the next crisis.
You are the first person who has actually gotten it right. I could hug you right about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erztez View Post
Ehm, I don't know how to say this, but I have worked in a hosting company a few years back, we had about 5 servers running, our support was a joke and even WE had someone on night shift...
I mean, come on, takes 1 guy, maybe 2 to keep the damn thing going at night
Also, loved night shifts, best time to play WoW while waiting for the servers to crap out again
Website hosting =/= game hosting. That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-31-2010, 10:45 AM
BlueDestiny,

As a fellow MBA (emphasis in International Business from Duke Fuqua) as well as a PhD (Org Psych), I'd like to go on record that tunnel-visioned individuals such as yourself who often make a point to speak out of turn are pretty much universally hated in the workplace by their fellow executives.

That's all.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Paynicus

True, true, but I wasn't talking about the industry, I was talking about the server room, doesn't matter what the servers DO, the rack still looks the same
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Your Goal: Not be such a douche, 99.99% of the time.

I better see some improved performance on this issue or you'll be on the unemploment line mister!
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Paynicus
You are the first person who has actually gotten it right. I could hug you right about now.

Actually, got it right from the I.T. professional/worker's POV, not from the organizational success or strategic POV. When I've led I.T. shops under my umbrella over the years, I've had this discussion countless times with I.T. staff and mid-level managers.

They say (and rightfully so, because no I.T. shop has everthing they want from an ideal standpoint):

"We don't have enough resources."
"We don't have enough training."
"We need more development time."
"We need more or better hardware."

etc. etc.

But consistently, and while I agree these were talented individuals who worked hard, they didn't stop and work smart or work the big picture. They often lacked understanding for what drives a venture's success, very often worked in the "how we do it here" box rather than best practices, often suffered from lack of business and technical experience, often had challenges navigating "what matters" and "what our opportunity is", often lacked line-level leadership who knew how to assess plans versus resources, and deploy and partner intelligently, lacked communication competencies to partner well with peers and internal leaders, etc. etc.

Frankly, this isn't a job for the I.T. professional, isn't directed to the I.T. professional. It's directed to leadership. Get the "right person on the right job" and start moving in the direction of setting and achieving the right key measures. Get the focus right and get people who can solve it. At this stage, its more leadership than technical.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
comparing real estate to the IT industry is like comparing building a leggo parking lot for your dinky toys to building the Dubai tower......... nothing to see here folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
10 years in senior leadership in a real estate industry (development, construction, and property management), and 18 years in executive leadership in the banking industry. As EVP, COO, or CFO, led most divisions of an organization over the years, many of which were I.T., and Planning. MBA, and other exclusive executive programs such as CCL.

But in the end, thank you to the couple foosballs who don't have nor demonstrate critical thinking in their posts, who like to demonstrate their hate for their fellow man, and thank you, too, for addiing value to this post in one way...

... bumping a constructive thread. Please continue to add that value, and continue to demonstrate your character.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
10 years in senior leadership in a real estate industry (development, construction, and property management), and 18 years in executive leadership in the banking industry. As EVP, COO, or CFO, led most divisions of an organization over the years, many of which were I.T., and Planning. MBA, and other exclusive executive programs such as CCL.
Yeah, I knew you had no clue, thx for clearing that up for all of us.

I can tell from the way you write that you have never actually worked with your own hands and did any of the stuff you want them to do. Cause if you had, you wouldn't have come to the forum to write such nonsense.

You just keep on pushing those pencils and please let the folks that actually know how to take care of things do the work they are supposed to do.