Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoug
BlueDestiny,

As a fellow MBA (emphasis in International Business from Duke Fuqua) as well as a PhD (Org Psych), I'd like to go on record that tunnel-visioned individuals such as yourself who often make a point to speak out of turn are pretty much universally hated in the workplace by their fellow executives.

That's all.
Somehow I doubt this. Your post lacks the critical thinking an MBA would have. You say tunnel-visioned as a barb, when that's the last thing I would direct my way, without any substance. That's amateur hour, not MBA. But thanks for the bump.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe they should phone CCP about how to run a proper internet spaceships server, because although CCP's customer service sucks donkey balls there server is damned stable ( unless you throw 1000+ people into 1 system to pewpew each other but thats another matter )

or maybe it's the fact CCP's server is based in London it has better tech support :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
01-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
comparing real estate to the IT industry is like comparing building a leggo parking lot for your dinky toys to building the Dubai tower.........
Kiddo, its not about industry, its about leadership. I know you don't understand this at this time, but thanks for the bump.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
01-31-2010, 10:55 AM
He orders the carpet and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scay
Yeah, I knew you had no clue, thx for clearing that up for all of us.

I can tell from the way you write that you have never actually worked with your own hands and did any of the stuff you want them to do. Cause if you had, you wouldn't have come to the forum to write such nonsense.

You just keep on pushing those pencils and please let the folks that actually know how to take care of things do the work they are supposed to do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstorm View Post
I agree in general with your points. Server downtime and notice has not been as good as it could be and improvement would be appreciated.

An observation, however ...

Cryptic has pretty methodically had a long Closed Beta that ramped up quite a bit towards the end, followed by an Open Beta that again pushed their game architecture. Now, Head Start is yet another means of ramping things up another notch before the "official" release. It seems to me that all these steps are an effort to test their infrastructure, procedures, and so on in an ever increasing manner so that once the actual release date arrives, things will run as smoothly as possible.

No MMO I have seen has a 100% smooth launch and I'll be willing to give Cryptic a wide berth. If daily issues are still happening 2-3 weeks after the official release, however, I will start feeling a bit more cranky.
You say no MMO has been 100% smooth, but this is more like 7% smooth, 93% craptastic. I have seen MMOs launches that were 90% smooth. This launch is way, way, way under-par, even for an MMO.

Compared to any other complex online system, it's absolutely a disastrous launch. They time they put in each launch phase is simply no where near enough. WoW had like 3 open beta periods over the course of 6 months, one of them specifically for stress testing. And then they took it all down after the stress test for awhile to tweak further before launch.

That's what I want to see. And ****'s launch was butter smooth compared to this. It only had queues, but no lag or trouble logging in, no buggy quests. This is a management fail.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
Kiddo, its not about industry, its about leadership. I know you don't understand this at this time, but thanks for the bump.
Go to bed, funny little man.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
Actually, got it right from the I.T. professional/worker's POV, not from the organizational success or strategic POV. When I've led I.T. shops under my umbrella over the years, I've had this discussion countless times with I.T. staff and mid-level managers.

They say (and rightfully so, because no I.T. shop has everthing they want from an ideal standpoint):

"We don't have enough resources."
"We don't have enough training."
"We need more development time."
"We need more or better hardware."

etc. etc.

But consistently, and while I agree these were talented individuals who worked hard, they didn't stop and work smart or work the big picture. They often lacked understanding for what drives a venture's success, very often worked in the "how we do it here" box rather than best practices, often suffered from lack of business and technical experience, often had challenges navigating "what matters" and "what our opportunity is", often lacked line-level leadership who knew how to assess plans versus resources, and deploy and partner intelligently, lacked communication competencies to partner well with peers and internal leaders, etc. etc.

Frankly, this isn't a job for the I.T. professional, isn't directed to the I.T. professional. It's directed to leadership. Get the "right person on the right job" and start moving in the direction of setting and achieving the right key measures. Get the focus right and get people who can solve it. At this stage, its more leadership than technical.
However much I hate to agree with executives (and let me tell you, when I was one, I had some really weird internal monologue), I have to agree with this. This isn't about IT anymore, it's about work ethic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daireishi
You say no MMO has been 100% smooth, but this is more like 7% smooth, 93% craptastic. I have seen MMOs launches that were 90% smooth. This launch is way, way, way under-par, even for an MMO.

Compared to any other complex online system, it's absolutely a disastrous launch. They time they put in each launch phase is simply no where near enough. WoW had like 3 open beta periods over the course of 6 months, one of them specifically for stress testing. And then they took it all down after the stress test for awhile to tweak further before launch.

That's what I want to see. And ****'s launch was butter smooth compared to this. It only had queued, but no lag or trouble logging in, no buggy quests. This is a management fail.
So much "fail" in this . Where do you start.


7% smooth, 93% craptastic, try the other way around.

Disastrous launch, have you ver been at the release of any other mmo? I'm guessing not, or you wouldnt have posted that.

Wow did have 3 open beta periods, ye their servers still died for almost the entire first week of launch, they still have extreme lag and crashes, WITHOUT INFORMATION, 5 years later.


In short, before you think of posting again, get your facts right. Every single MMO has its fair share of problems. If STO is still having outages in the next 2 weeks, then by all means, theyve failed, however now.... it's probaly one of the smoothest MMO launches yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
01-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
Somehow I doubt this. Your post lacks the critical thinking an MBA would have. You say tunnel-visioned as a barb, when that's the last thing I would direct my way, without any substance. That's amateur hour, not MBA. But thanks for the bump.
Brilliant. Truly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
01-31-2010, 11:01 AM
I run a large IT department and I would laugh in your face if you talked this rubbish around me. You have no clue about the industry, stick to ordering carpet. If you came to me and told me you want the server up in 15 min, I would laugh and tell you it will be 10 hours then I would go back to my office and watch all 3 LOTR movies with the IT department, then after I would get the guys to work on the server. What you gonna do? lol. Besides, I can make you look good or I can make you look like a fool, so if you want to keep your job you better be good to me. On a lighter note, I hear leggos are on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
Kiddo, its not about industry, its about leadership. I know you don't understand this at this time, but thanks for the bump.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.