Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
GPU memory works somewhat differently from normal RAM, and it is highly unlikely it has a leak as you are familiar with. More likely its a edge case in a shader or some effects interacting badly.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
GPU memory works somewhat differently from normal RAM, and it is highly unlikely it has a leak as you are familiar with. More likely its a edge case in a shader or some effects interacting badly.
Well what ever it is I've isolated it so well, I can't log my klingon character in anymore because after about 30 seconds it gives me the same error. He's stuck in the main area of Quo'nos indoors. I'm on my federation character right now running around the star base having no issues at all.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
Well what ever it is I've isolated it so well, I can't log my klingon character in anymore because after about 30 seconds it gives me the same error. He's stuck in the main area of Quo'nos indoors. I'm on my federation character right now running around the star base having no issues at all.
Try loading the game in Safe mode (via the launcher options).
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Just got GPU out of memory error as well while on ground exchanging weapons fire. Didn't happen to me before

I've nVidia 8800 GT
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Try loading the game in Safe mode (via the launcher options).
Ok trying that now. brb

-edit- Also after i get that error it makes me download the same 98mb patch mostly full of hogg and bin files.

LOL I'm in a queue 8 of 38.... 8 of 85.... 8 of 127 now... 8 of 152. Dam people are disconnecting like crazy. The number keeps going up.

-edit- 8 of 253.... 8 of 285.... 8 of 312...

Are the servers being taken down?

-edit- 8 of 374.... 8 of 407....

sigh....

-edit- Ok as much as I'd love to help get this issue fixed... I'm not getting in right now.

-edit- JESUS CHRIST I tried one last time to log in for the hell of it and I'm in the queue as 711 out of 806. This is sheer insanity and unacceptable for a game with only 1 server.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Ok so I made it into the game in safe mode on my Klingon. Running around the great hall of qo'nos and nothing yet... except for the fact the game looks so bad with everything turned off I'd never pay to play it like this.

Hmmmm safe mode is having a fit about the costume I designed. It says "Costume validation for player error:" then lists a bunch of restricted textures and ends with "failed costume restriction check"
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Try going into options and changing the troubleshooting option from reading into memory to streaming from disk and see if it changes anything.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Well after running around about 40 minutes in safe mode I came to the same spot I typically get the out of memory error and BAM... happens. It's the great hall on the ground floor looking at the ram that goes up to the high council room.

Now... one thing I might add to shed some light is Each time I've gotten this error... (3 times total now in the same area, and once while in safe mode) I've been at the tailor doing a lot of costume editing for my new guild's uniform then running back to the hall. Perhaps swapping those models back and forth, combined with the buggy costume pieces Cryptic needs to fix asap eats up all your video memory and doesn't release it.

Just a theory.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
Perhaps swapping those models back and forth, combined with the buggy costume pieces Cryptic needs to fix asap eats up all your video memory and doesn't release it.
As coderanger mentioned earlier, video memory doesn't work that way. It'll just be a regular bug.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 02:14 PM
I have an ATI 4870, and I got the same z-stencil error in your screenshot whenever I changed costumes more than once in a row. Supposedly they fixed it, but I'm dubious as to their coding for the entire "ground" portion of the game. They can't even get dynamic lighting to work right on the ground.

/facepalm