Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 09:30 AM
i say they do what EVE online does... pick 1 hour of the GMT time (eve does it at 7am GMT) and drop the server for a restart.. it takes them what? 1 - 2 hours to restart it?.. do that every single day (even those who's peak time is durring that time whont complain about a 1 or 2 hour downtime... GO EAT.. come back when the server is back up and continue on when the server is back up. Ive yet to ever hear of or experiance a tiem when the Tranquility server actualy 'crashed' for more than 30 minuts inbetween downtimes.. and even that is extreamly rare (like finding a black-hole in your barn rare). If their haveing this much trouble keeping the server up 24/7.. then copy what EvE does and restart the fraken thing every single day.

The number of complaints about it being restarted will be ALOT lower than the number of us complaining when it drops at (sometimes) random times. Though like most here ive noticed it seems to always go down withen 1 hour of the same time it did the day befor.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Well i disagree with you, all cryptic have to do is mirror the server on a another machine and do the updates live on the other server then re boot the master server for the new updates to take effect, i mean lets face it the server basically only records your key strokes and all the graphics are stored on your client side.
Its not rocket science however they might have you think it is.?

This is the reason i dont think its server overload, it has to be something slowing the server down to the stage that the server crashes? otherwise cryptic would give you an alert message saying the server is going down for maintenance in xx seconds / minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfoot
Well i disagree with you, all cryptic have to do is mirror the server on a another machine and do the updates live on the other server then re boot the master server for the new updates to take effect, i mean lets face it the server basically only records your key strokes and all the graphics are stored on your client side.
Its not rocket science however they might have you think it is.?

This is the reason i dont think its server overload, it has to be something slowing the server down to the stage that the server crashes? otherwise cryptic would give you an alert message saying the server is going down for maintenance in xx seconds / minutes.
EVE does that... they have a 'test' server they use to run the 'up-n-comming' live version of the game.. while at the same time continuesly takeing down the 'live' server for a reboot every single day, when patch time comes, they tell us ahead of time it'll be a 'normal/extended/long' downtime due to their patch (sometimes its been less than normal downtims, though sometimes its up to 6 hours dependign on how much their addign in or changing) But still.. even with the test server, they always bring down the main server for a restart every single day.. its the only MMO ive ever played that did that, and not-suprizing.. its the only MMO ive ever played that has veary little to 0 server issues.