Lt. Commander
# 21 Not the best, not the worst
01-31-2010, 09:38 AM
I've seen worse and better than STO. Not to throw gasoline on the fire here, but I was at the launch of City of Heroes and that went pretty darn smoothly. Yea, there were a few zones with problems but unless you were playing every day for the first three weeks trying to max you wouldn't have hit them anyway.

Other than that, almost all MMOs have volume problems. It's difficult justifying a purchase of 100+ servers if you're not absolutely sure you'll have the subscriptions to cover it. WoW wasn't even that huge at lauch. It's taken years for it to get as many users as it has now.

It's all relative. And in the case of STO, since they had an engine to work with (Champions Online) I think it helped alleviate a lot of potential problems.

-ROOK
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandajuice View Post
But not MMOs unfortunately. By definition MMOs are never finished and you should have been aware of that before purchasing the game if you don't like that aspect. There is no end to this game and never will be. No end boss, no congratulations.

Also, you haven't paid for anything yet as the game hasn't launched yet. Right now, you're playing a bonus preview.
Thats where you are wrong. Pretty sure my money is not in my hands anymore, says so right there on my CC statement. As part of a pre order you get......Headstart. THats a purchase bullet of features for giving money in advance for this product.

So please spare me the:

"x" MMO didnt have a great launch either (this is nothing but a clone of the server tech from CO, and they are still having serer problems 4 months out?? Not looking good for STO)

You are not paying for it yet (BS bought and paid for)
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro2k4
In before fanboys and apologists. Oh damn, too late.
In before the uninformed Trolls. Oh darn, too late.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
In before the uninformed Trolls. Oh darn, too late.
Oh, come on! You have to admit that 80% of the post on these forums have fanboi's trying to go-down on every post as if it were a dev in person. Many of you fanboi's will eventually wake-up and find yourself feeling like your wife just cheated on you after 10 years of marriage. You will feel hurt, lost and depressed.

Its ok though, STO does in fact suck now, but I have hope that in about a year's time... Cryptic will have it fixed and running as a true Star Trek Online MMO should be.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiskull View Post
In Europe Lotro had prob one of the best launches i've seen, they even opened the servers a day early without telling people! so a large amount of people got to play a day early! Cant speak for the American launch though

As for this one, meh not the worst but not the best.
That was one of the reasons that LOTRO launched smoothly, Cryptic announcing 10am PST launch was not one of their better ideas.

The came has not launched yet! That's Tuesday,
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenator
Oh, come on! You have to admit that 80% of the post on these forums have fanboi's trying to go-down on every post as if it were a dev in person. Many of you fanboi's will eventually wake-up and find yourself feeling like your wife just cheated on you after 10 years of marriage. You will feel hurt, lost and depressed.

Its ok though, STO does in fact suck now, but I have hope that in about a year's time... Cryptic will have it fixed and running as a true Star Trek Online MMO should be.
Oh I agree with that. but this is far from the worst pre launch that Ive taken part in. PotBS my server on the first day crashed 4 or 5 times, wow was buggy, and at times unplayable ( anyone have fun following off the map ?), SWG had crashes added to that we had to run every where we went, and I think I remeber EvE having a crash or two during launch. All MMOs have rocky launches, this one to, but to say it's the worst is really stretching it.

also it's not launch yet, that's in two day, and personally I think it's a good thing that we have down time because it mean they are working on the servers, so when the real launch day come around it will run smoother, kind of like last night. before it went down load times were taking around 30 secs to a minute, after the down time I logged in, less lag if any, and average load time was around 6 to 10 secs. it's just part of the life of an MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Ive sat through many MMO launches and every single one of them has people like this claiming its the worst launch ever.

STO is fairly smooth, there have been better, but there have been more that were much worse.

I wish people with out the experience to comment would just be quiet. Every single time valid complaints get drowned out by this sort of thing, the community gets tired of hundreds of posts made by people who dont know what they are talking about, and after a while people just stop reading what the complaints are, and just lash out at every complaint, even the justified ones.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfugue
Ive sat through many MMO launches and every single one of them has people like this claiming its the worst launch ever.

STO is fairly smooth, there have been better, but there have been more that were much worse.

I wish people with out the experience to comment would just be quiet. Every single time valid complaints get drowned out by this sort of thing, the community gets tired of hundreds of posts made by people who dont know what they are talking about, and after a while people just stop reading what the complaints are, and just lash out at every complaint, even the justified ones.
amen to that. If you're Ignorant don't talk.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenator
... Its ok though, STO does in fact suck now, but I have hope that in about a year's time... Cryptic will have it fixed and running as a true Star Trek Online MMO should be.
That's exactly right; wait 6 to 12 months for cryptic to fix some of launch stability and gameplay issues and then buy the box out of the $ 19 bin and play the included month and then unsubscribe.

You'll see all that the game has to offer with a smoother experience owing both to the bug fixes and the reduced player numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
STO's launch has actually been pretty typical. It truly is a case of deja vu hearing the complaints. The "best" launch I have seen was Dark Age of Camelot, they did a pretty nice job of bringing that game up.