Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfugue
Ive sat through many MMO launches and every single one of them has people like this claiming its the worst launch ever.

STO is fairly smooth, there have been better, but there have been more that were much worse.

I wish people with out the experience to comment would just be quiet. Every single time valid complaints get drowned out by this sort of thing, the community gets tired of hundreds of posts made by people who dont know what they are talking about, and after a while people just stop reading what the complaints are, and just lash out at every complaint, even the justified ones.
I agree there have obviously been worse launches, no doubt.

But the other part of your post, well, it does not matter because the rabid fanboys on this forum will shout down everything. Period.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 11:08 AM
This is not the worst, and not near the best. The problem is that we judge this based on unacceptable standards. Why do we settle for faulty product? These producers count on us having this debate on which launch was worst, instead of putting our money into the developers with backbones to tell the producers "its not ready, shut up and get off my back about release"..

If producers and developers would understand that sub standard releases (talking about bugs and 6 hours a day down times) hurt them long term, then maybe they would back off the rush to get it out.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Champions Online had a great launch IMHO. I got in the early start on that and it was pretty damn good for a launch.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
This is no where near the worst launch. Game was down 3-5 hours yesterday and that is not bad. SWG, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online now those were bad launches. With those three you couldn't play for days to a week, when you could there were TONS of lag, etc. Wish people would stop claiming STO had the worst launch ever. People are going way over board on a game for being down a total of 3-5 hours. If you can't handle server crashes then mmo's are not for you.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
is neither the worst, nor the best launch.

my main concern is not that it is crashing...why is it crashing? bug or design flaw or
the most concerning is that then engine cannot keep up with the load.

Item 1 and 2 can be fixed...item 3 cannot.

They love thier engine and the ideal of one server, I hope that does not blind them
to deeper problems....if the engine cannot handle 100k 200k players, they better start
making more servers fast.

This is a HUGE ip..not really sure they are ready for it.