Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Space PVP is turining out to be a bit shallow with the ball of ships and focus fire instagib, so i'm proposing the devs make a slight change to the way shielding works.

Energy weapons would do reduced damage based on the amount of ships that are firing at you.
A reduction that would cause a significant drop in damage from say 3rd of 4th player targeting the same ship to zero or near zero.
Non Energy weapons would be unchanged, so torpedoes, mines etc would not be affected in any way.

This i think would make space combat a LOT more dynamic, and would create a tactical and strategic space battles that would encourage teamwork and coordination.

Fire away
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrin
Space PVP is turining out to be a bit shallow with the ball of ships and focus fire instagib, so i'm proposing the devs make a slight change to the way shielding works.

Energy weapons would do reduced damage based on the amount of ships that are firing at you.
A reduction that would cause a significant drop in damage from say 3rd of 4th player targeting the same ship to zero or near zero.
Non Energy weapons would be unchanged, so torpedoes, mines etc would not be affected in any way.

This i think would make space combat a LOT more dynamic, and would create a tactical and strategic space battles that would encourage teamwork and coordination.

Fire away
Wait so your saying the fedball has returned?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Your solution would be ok if it took into account that players 3-5 in any focus fire attempt are only there for the torpedoes. Short of having all cooldowns up prior to the alpha, shield facings don't stand up to 2 escort type ships,whether they're fed or klingon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-31-2010, 01:32 AM
There are lots of good ways to deflect focus fire. Making that automatic takes the fun out of it.

In fact, suckering the focus fire to a ship that doesn't die from it is half the game.

I remember in beta there was a time when the kdf were crying nonstop about the unbeatable fedball. Every single kdf was a tactics captain hotdog who flew in unassisted to gib a fed, and was shocked when they decloaked and were blown into spacedust in seconds by 10 fed ships (fights were 10 vs 10 at the time)

We started changing up our tactics out of necessity, and found ways to not make attacking the fed ball be suicide runs - amongst them are having the 'bait' be an engineer with reverse shield polarity, rotate shield frequency, engineering team etc. with other people backing him up.

5 vs 5, the initial 2 losses determine the outcome, so keeping your first people alive is crucial. There's a -lot- of game there, thought it might not be obvious yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
There are lots of good ways to deflect focus fire. Making that automatic takes the fun out of it.

In fact, suckering the focus fire to a ship that doesn't die from it is half the game.

I remember in beta there was a time when the kdf were crying nonstop about the unbeatable fedball. Every single kdf was a tactics captain hotdog who flew in unassisted to gib a fed, and was shocked when they decloaked and were blown into spacedust in seconds by 10 fed ships (fights were 10 vs 10 at the time)
This has not changed. De-cloak near space ball = instant death. I was in beta too, i remember all the QQ on the fed side that continues still about cloak and how OP it was that they couldn't tab pop KDF in afk mode. Generalizing statements how stupid the "other side " is blah blah they were all window washers etc. doesn't contribute to the discussion sorry.

The point you're making requires that every KDF captain dedicates a slot to reverse shield polarity. And even then they would at most survive the duration of the buff. Having to use a specific power or item or mechanic just to survive longer then 2 seconds in a PVP makes the it sort of pointless.

BTW I posted this in regards to all the issues on the Fed side with Escorts lifespan ball or otherwise. This is an issue that affects both sides equally, and no i don't play Fed. Just long enough to unlock my Klingon. Alpha strikes are a HUGE issue at the moment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
5 vs 5, the initial 2 losses determine the outcome, so keeping your first people alive is crucial. There's a -lot- of game there, thought it might not be obvious yet.

We started changing up our tactics out of necessity, and found ways to not make attacking the fed ball be suicide runs - amongst them are having the 'bait' be an engineer with reverse shield polarity, rotate shield frequency, engineering team etc. with other people backing him up.
This is so not true, I've had plenty of matches where we went from 5/0 or 10/<10 to winning due to alpha strikes. To say the match is determined by the first 2 deaths shows you don't really know what you're talking about.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
I support the OP but I dont think this is the solution. I dont know what is but there must be one. Maybe if we had objectives the feds couldn't sit in one massive ball of death.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrin
This has not changed. De-cloak near space ball = instant death. I was in beta too, i remember all the QQ on the fed side that continues still about cloak and how OP it was that they couldn't tab pop KDF in afk mode. Generalizing statements how stupid the "other side " is blah blah they were all window washers etc. doesn't contribute to the discussion sorry.

The point you're making requires that every KDF captain dedicates a slot to reverse shield polarity. And even then they would at most survive the duration of the buff. Having to use a specific power or item or mechanic just to survive longer then 2 seconds in a PVP makes the it sort of pointless.

BTW I posted this in regards to all the issues on the Fed side with Escorts lifespan ball or otherwise. This is an issue that affects both sides equally, and no i don't play Fed. Just long enough to unlock my Klingon. Alpha strikes are a HUGE issue at the moment.




This is so not true, I've had plenty of matches where we went from 5/0 or 10/<10 to winning due to alpha strikes. To say the match is determined by the first 2 deaths shows you don't really know what you're talking about.
I think when you use the phrase ALPHA strike you might be using it wrong. ALPHA strike normally means one toon/vessel/ what not, using spike damage to destroy a target. Your talking about decloaking or wandering in to a ball of feds and getting primarily and then QQing when you pop in 5 secs.

This whole area is full of crap. No one even has played around with different eq, bo skills, ships, or really seen how the T2 - T5 areas are playing. I've been playing PvP Klingon and DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. I suggest rethinking you actions. If you want a game where you get to cruise in and blow everything up play borderlands.

thank you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrin
The point you're making requires that every KDF captain dedicates a slot to reverse shield polarity. And even then they would at most survive the duration of the buff. Having to use a specific power or item or mechanic just to survive longer then 2 seconds in a PVP makes the it sort of pointless.
No just the bait ship, go re read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrin
This is so not true, I've had plenty of matches where we went from 5/0 or 10/<10 to winning due to alpha strikes. To say the match is determined by the first 2 deaths shows you don't really know what you're talking about.
5v5, first 2 kills, other 3 fall. He's talking about the engagement not the whole match.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael102 View Post
I support the OP but I dont think this is the solution. I dont know what is but there must be one. Maybe if we had objectives the feds couldn't sit in one massive ball of death.
So go play the objective maps.

Feds win those loads because most of the klingons just fly around killing not capturing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Honestly, this is my main concern about PvP and well this game in general. With all of the "nerf Reverse Shield Polarity" posts at the end of open beta, I'm wondering if the power will escape the nerf sledgehammer.

Alpha-striking is mainly a problem in the arena maps. Assist-training is the real problem you are looking at, and one that I take issue with as well. Personally, I think if damage was reduce a tad, that this problem would be less of an issue.

Admittedly have only played to the end of T3, but the damage there was really starting to get out of hand. I think if damage was reduce a tad that we would have more time to utilize more defensive powers and abilities which would lessen the overall impact of assist training. At least the "always go after the escort" assist-training.

This is definitely a MMO where you go after the DPS first and the healers last.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 AM.