Rihannsu
# 11
11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Cadet is the "rank" below ensign. Basically it's what ensigns are before they become ensigns. So yeah, the game has changed to treat bridge officer candidates as cadets who haven't received an official commission yet. Makes sense to me.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 12
11-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Cadet is the "rank" below ensign. Basically it's what ensigns are before they become ensigns. So yeah, the game has changed to treat bridge officer candidates as cadets who haven't received an official commission yet. Makes sense to me.
Actually, they retain the cadet rank after they are commissioned.

Also, there are ranks below ensign... just not BOFF ranks.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Join the PriorityOne fleet today! Also, follow me on Twitter!
Rihannsu
# 13
11-25-2013, 06:59 PM
I was thinking in terms of a real-world military analogue. Anything lower isn't an officer, it's an enlisted rank.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 14
11-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwford View Post
Except that Gene Rodenberry DID model Starfleet off the US Navy. Don't delude yourself by trying to rationalize other explanations. You only hurt yourself if you do. Accept the facts, and get over the cognitive dissonance you have created by refusing to acknowledge reality.
Doesn't the fact that there are cadets in Starfleet deconstruct your argument in the first place?

It is no delusion. The officer rank structure Starfleet uses is the same the Coast Guard uses, including cadets (whch might be the same that the US Navy uses, I don't know about that). Aside from that, there is a ton of production notes and crew commentaries that emphasize that Roddenberry did not want Starfleet to portray a military organization (i.e. the US Navy). It's all in the MA article about Starfleet
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar."
- "I am Chief Miles Edward O'Brien. I am very much alive, and I intend to stay that way." - "Amen! Let's get it done!" -Omet'iklan, Miles O'Brien, Benjamin Sisko
Rihannsu
# 15
11-26-2013, 07:05 AM
the Navy has Cadets. But they get promoted to ensign when officially commissioned.

Actually, all of the branches of US military call officers in training cadets.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Captain
# 16
11-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
the Navy has Cadets. But they get promoted to ensign when officially commissioned.

Actually, all of the branches of US military call officers in training cadets.
So do police and other emergency services, but I assumed that its different in the Navy since the OP claimed that "cadets" are no naval term and I couldn't argue from that point of view

I just wanted to point out that not everything we have today does match what a fictious Starfleet would have or use in the 23rd-25th century. Because every time people discuss starships they bring up present day military tech to support their arguments
"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar."
- "I am Chief Miles Edward O'Brien. I am very much alive, and I intend to stay that way." - "Amen! Let's get it done!" -Omet'iklan, Miles O'Brien, Benjamin Sisko
Captain
# 17
11-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
since the OP claimed that "cadets" are no naval term
I did? When?

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Join the PriorityOne fleet today! Also, follow me on Twitter!
Captain
# 18
11-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
Aside from that, there is a ton of production notes and crew commentaries that emphasize that Roddenberry did not want Starfleet to portray a military organization (i.e. the US Navy). It's all in the MA article about Starfleet
You might want to go back and watch the special features and interviews from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. They specifically modeled it after the Teutonic/Napoleonic era Navies. Particularly, they used the stories of Horatio Hornblower as inspiration.

On a side note, I think the A&E Hornblower series was pretty decent until the last two "Loyalty" and "Duty" where he gets married. Also, it is hazardous to your health to be friends with Mr. Hornblower, as Mr. Clayton and Mr. Kennedy paid for his friendship with their lives.
Captain
# 19
11-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Wasn't the Valiant crewed by Cadets?

Also, if memory serves, most of the crew on the Enterprise were cadets on training during WoK...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
11-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanosian View Post
As far as I remember Harry Kim was a BOFF on the Voyager and his rank was Ensign.
And he stayed an Ensign for 7 YEARS. I made vice admiral in a week in contrast. What does an Asian have to do to get promoted around here?