Captain
# 1 Mac's causing problems?
11-24-2013, 05:32 AM
I just wanted to ask either the more enlightened players in terms of coding or the devs if we can expect some bugs while the game is being made available to macs?

I know steam seemed to get regular updates and bugs during that time but settled down in the long run and knowing to expect bugs will make a difference. We might see a wider community effort on reporting them and a bit more tolerance.

So once again, can we expect to see some bugs due to making this game available to mac's?
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.
Captain
# 2
11-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Judging from what devs have posted so far, I wouldn't expect that to add more bugs.

It seems that, for the mac version, they add an additional wrapper to the regular version, which functions as a translator for the graphic commands the game normally sends to a pc's GPU/CPU. It seems they mainly keep the original stuff as-is, develop as they used to, and then add a compatibility layer when the build has been compiled. Which makes sense, from a coding point of view, as you can just keep your original code and sub-contract the mac-adaptor software (which a dev has posted they did, including which one), without the need for recoding or developing parallel coding to achieve the same end, i.e. a running game, depending on OS used.

If anything, the mac version could have mac-specific bugs not present in the windows-version, as the extra wrapper could introduce it's own bugs or cause interference, but those shouldn't affect the windows-version.

Fun detail: one of the main changes to the launcher for Mac usage has actually improved compatibility across the board for non-windows systems, such as Linux-based stuff, by removing the forced dependency on Internet Explorer.
Captain
# 3
11-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks Twam!
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.