Lt. Commander
# 2121
01-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxicorm View Post
Not IT but tech support yes. and I ALWAYS thanked my poor overworked IT tech whenever he had to fix or replace something at my station or in my server side setup. From a Tech stand point it is also a thankless job. You spend 20 minutes digging through the registry with someone to change something silly they picked that they shouldn't have been anywhere near and they hang up angrily that they helped you. I know how it feels that's why I empathize. The most rewarding calls for me were the ones that were 6 hours long. Where I'd work painfully to make sure the person didn't have to wipe the computer and start all over like the last tech made them. Where the end of the call was simply "Thank you so much. I'm so glad I didn't lose the pictures and home videos of my kids."
That's a job well done. That made me feel good. if one in a hundred people said that to me in a week I was fine doing the job. and one in a hundred always did. I gave up my lunch on those days... and really had to pee sometimes... and lord knows I'd do it sometimes and not get more than a curt goodbye.
But there is a reward here and there and it IS what's needed to keep tech's, IT guys, server junkies AND programmers going.
So I guess I'm one in a hundred. Someone has to be. I'm sorry if that offends you.
what did that guy say? poor underworked IT guy. never met one...overpaid , underworked(IM not flaminghere these guys have sat with me laughing about it) yes met a few...seemed to me that the people i have known felt UNDERUSED more than anythig because they were fixing stupid things like missing leads etc because the people at said companie)s) wore not allowed to touch the pc's OR were often to illiterate in computing to use the on switch..no sarcasm..thats the biggest gripe i have heard...on the reverse side people resent a guy earning 40, 000 a year for plugging in leads..dojnt correct me im talking about a FEW peoples experience not yours...i wouldn't dare
Lt. Commander
# 2122
01-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2
what did that guy say? poor underworked IT guy. never met one...overpaid , underworked(IM not flaminghere these guys have sat with me laughing about it) yes met a few...seemed to me that the people i have known felt UNDERUSED more than anythig because they were fixing stupid things like missing leads etc because the people at said companie)s) wore not allowed to touch the pc's OR were often to illiterate in computing to use the on switch..no sarcasm..thats the biggest gripe i have heard...on the reverse side people resent a guy earning 40, 000 a year for plugging in leads..dojnt correct me im talking about a FEW peoples experience not yours...i wouldn't dare
Nothing to correct ^^ Each persons experience is their own.
I agree often an IT's talents are underused. He never said a word. He was just always busy with silly things. We were never allowed to the touch the computers either. some silly call center contractual thing. That's right the people who fix your computer on the phone are not allowed to fix their own computers at work >.<
As for actual workload his was high... I never said it wasn't menial ^^
Lt. Commander
# 2123 woot
01-31-2010, 06:33 PM
213 pages WOOT
Lt. Commander
# 2124
01-31-2010, 06:41 PM
My favorite ever... Game goes down for work, comes back up - game client doesn't do anything anymore. I see it on the task bar and system tray, but it isn't doing anything... *sigh* So... maybe tomorrow I'll get to play again... if I redownload & reinstall?
Lt. Commander
# 2125
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Hmm, since the server is apparantly back up whenever I try to launch the game I just get 'loading please wait' on the launcher, before it even patches. Anyone else getting this?
Lt. Commander
# 2126
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Extra fun. I must be too stupid to figure out how to submit a ticket. Or the ticket interface isn't working. ::facepalm::
Lt. Commander
# 2127
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2
are you trying to say you are the OTHER person? considering your competition on this thread....you might be right! enjoy the fanfare while you are surrounded by freaks...when you go to work tomorrow you'll be the dumb kid again.
this kids, is an example of what eating paint and sniffing glue will do to your brains. no higher functioning then to beat your chest like a chimp, jump up and down screaming and throwing poo everywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 2128
01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
My login has been 'patching' for over an hour and a half without a single bar on the download progress. Couldn't stand it any longer and tried rebooting, then maybe my network connection. Glad to see posts with the same problem.

Well, not glad that others have problems, just glad to know it's not just me.
Lt. Commander
# 2129
01-31-2010, 07:08 PM
next time server goes down .. anyone wonna come round play some super mario ? maybe drink some cordial?
Lt. Commander
# 2130
01-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague1428
Hmm, since the server is apparantly back up whenever I try to launch the game I just get 'loading please wait' on the launcher, before it even patches. Anyone else getting this?
Ya, had the same issue. Game finally Patched and now I can't get on the server. Connection times out on connecting to account and sometimes login server.