Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
I have no idea what "Shard" is, but it sounds like there are some problems...

I waited 10 minutes for a load screen to progress, so I decided to close the game and reopen. It hung on "Retrieving list of characters" and then I received this error message.

Pre-launch is one thing - what are we to do in 2 days when the rest of the world comes online!? God help us all!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 11:19 AM
February 2nd will be sure chaos I'm sure. I bet the server will be down the majority of the day due to the strain of additional players. Should be LOADS of fun....
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
I also got the message while I was trying to loging, but there was also something like "...Emergency shutdown..."

Who's shard?

Maybe we should call George Clooney.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Well it get worser and worser and in 2 days I suspect it will be really unplayable. Also that the server is crashing always in EU primetime concerns me alot. Iam sorry but Cryptic should have knowed that EU time is the hardest time for them at all. 400 Million possible customers in 3 hours time difference, guys sorry to say it but you need to do your homework by far better.

Star Trek Online seems to be a nice game, moreover than other Star Trek titles there is a high interest, but if this continues the game will have the same fate as most of the Star Trek titles. And this only due the bad service!

Another day I dont get more than 2 levels befor the server breakdown...now 2 - 3 hours maintance again...yay nice pre start weekend.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Craptic
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
The forum servers are running pretty slow too. The first time I tried to reply I got this message:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, noc@crypticstudios.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Maybe the entire Cryptic Network Operations Center is craptastic? It's seems plausible. I too was stuck on the "Retrieving Characters" screen a few times today. Server seemed on the verge of crash most of the day, particularly since 1200 EST. Oh well, it is what it is. But as you say, once the rest of the world joins us next week, should we even attempt to log in? I should have learned my lesson after Champions Online...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
UNEXPECTED UPTIME

Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is up. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back offline as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is unavailable again.

It's been said before, but it just doesn't get old.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erztez View Post
UNEXPECTED UPTIME

Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is up. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back offline as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is unavailable again.

Amen to that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erztez View Post
UNEXPECTED UPTIME

That's so ROFL.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm also wondering where did the "Shard" name come from. I couldn't even find a synonym to that word, that would mean anything to the network/hardware/software infrastructure. Anyone ?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngaio View Post
I'm also wondering where did the "Shard" name come from. I couldn't even find a synonym to that word, that would mean anything to the network/hardware/software infrastructure. Anyone ?
A shard is a method of horizontal partitioning in a database or search engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_(..._architecture)

Wiki is your friend