Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by penalt View Post
EVERY company has this problem because the programming code is unique with every different software application. Here is a true story:

Some years back I worked for Hewlett Packard. You know the big major software/hardware company? The higher ups realized that those of us in tech support were running into delays sending out parts to techs and customers because of an old, antiquated piece of ordering/shipping software. The software had been designed for a third of the load it was carrying and kept going down for hours at a time.

Major pain when you are trying to beat Fedex deadlines for next day delivery.

Over an 8 month period a new piece of software was developed and tested. It was run through several trial periods to check for bugs, server load and other potential burps. This was a mission critical piece of software. It HAD to work right, the first time. One fine Friday we were told, "Okay, the new software is going live over the weekend. It will up and running for Monday morning. There was much rejoicing.

Monday morning we come in, we go to order parts, the entire system is DEAD. Much yelling at IT follows. Turns out the new software DUMPED and DELETED the entire parts database once it was fully on the live servers. The old software that had been resident had kept refreshing the database during the tests so no one noticed the problem. For a full week we could not send any parts to anyone in North America.

If a multi-BILLION dollar company can run into this kind of insanity what chance does any MMO have of a clean launch?

yeah but HP sucks anyways...
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadirus View Post
That's a really horrible analogy.....cars and massive software programs running on a server farm aren't even the same galaxy of being comparable. Cars are "hardware". MMORPGS are massive software programs running on hardware.
No, the analogy works because the common element is the CONSUMER. The consumer has expectations, whether they be of a game, a car, or a piece of fruit. If a product doesn't meet their expectations then they are not going to be happy and they are going to express that discontent with the voting power of their dollar.

That's why I'm concerned about the future of this game. People have expectations and are obviously discontent. I want to be playing right now, not stalling on the forums. Yes, yes, I've read all the posts about "be patient" and "all MMOs are like this", but I don't buy it. What you are willing to accept you will never change.
Lt. Commander
# 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
If you don't want to experience these problems on a new MMO launch, don't buy it until a month or two after launch. If you absolutely have to take part in launch, expect to take part in the birth pangs as well.

I know it sucks donkey balls, but it is what it is and after having taken part in several MMO launches, I've learned to expect it. If I survived the launch of WAR Europe, I can survive anything (Game wasn't up until around a week after official launch date.).
I've been through many MMO launches. Just getting tired of the same old thing I guess. You're absolutely right about waiting a month or 2 after the launch. That's what I'm going to do now. Bite the proverbial $60 bullet and screw the free month. Here's hoping for the best, but in the meantime I'm going back to EVE.
Lt. Commander
# 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by framinal View Post
i know i know, all MMOs have historically had problems at launches , umm arent ppl supposed to learn from
mistakes?
at what point will devs step up and makes things smooth?
no i dont have any ideas on how to do this as im not a dev or in the computer/server field
but i know enough that if i bought a car in 2009, i hope it wouldnt have the problems they had 10-15 years ago

just because all MMOs do this at launch doesnt make it right
Companies don't like to share secrets, thus every MMO has this problem. think a little.

You know it's not like the devs have a magic fix-everything button, you ever tried coding something? No? Shutup.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by penalt View Post
If a multi-BILLION dollar company can run into this kind of insanity what chance does any MMO have of a clean launch?
You know what the moral of your story though is right? You all were in trouble and the only reason you were all given a second chance was because it was crucial to running the business. If all the business users had a choice and could throw your system away and go pick up replacement software for 59.99 per user with no additioal effort, your system would have been scrapped and all the people who worked on that debacle would have been fired.

I agree with what you're essentially saying though - MMOs must be difficult to launch.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm
I've been apart of many MMO's, this one feels lik e SOE is behind the scenes pulling the trigger because the response from Dev team and relations folks are as lacking here as it was with SOE. Right now I'm Strongly considering asking for a refund of lifetime membership and purchase of the game. Not because of the game, the game when it is up is great. It's the innability to keep the servers up that makes me wonder how much play time i will have. I work 8-12 hours a day and when i get home this is stress relief for me. SO out of 7 days will it be up for only 3? Not worth it in my book and the LACK of communication from Cryptic gives me warm fuzzys inside.
Do not compare Cryptic with SOE. I've had my own dealings with Sh!tty Online Entertainment, and there is nothing to compare. You want to know why the Cryptic dev/community team hasn't said much lately: THEY ARE BUSY TRYING TO FRAKKIN FIGURE OUT WHAT BROKE AND FIX IT. They can't fix things and let you and everyone else suck on their tit to make you QQers feel better at the same time.

Cryptic will talk more after launch and things stabilize, but right now they're too busy. And at least when they do respond, they aren't snarky and rude.....something I HAVE seen out of SOE.

Here, this should help: "rock-a-bye QQers on the tree top....."
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
i know i know, all MMOs have historically had problems at launches , umm arent ppl supposed to learn from
mistakes?

no i dont have any ideas on how to do this as im not a dev or in the computer/server field
but i know enough that if i bought a car in 2009, i hope it wouldnt have the problems they had 10-15 years ago

Coding a million lines is not the same as "ouch, fire is hot".

Actually, if you bought a car you'd very likely to have the same problems they had 10-15 years ago. Flat tires, blown head gaskets, oil leaks, battery failer, and etc are all very likely to happen no matter what brand you get.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Flight control systems project budgets range in the hundreds of millions to billions of dollars. People's lives are at stake. Hundreds to thousands of people spend a decade or more on a project, they test like mad, and yet still manage to occasionally get it wrong.

Comparing entertainment software projects to projects like this is flawed. Consumers would never pay the bill that governments and airlines pay to cover this sort of thing.

Thus, as long as development tools remain in a relatively primitive state, entertainment software will always be buggy because that is all the market will support in terms of product price point. In general, we all "get what we (don't) pay for".

All of that that said, this title isn't doing as well as recently released competition in terms of defects at launch. I don't know Cryptic's budget, staffing, or tool set, but I have a sense that their execution could be improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm
No but Fly by wire has been around for over 20 years. To name a plane the F-16, also stealth fighter is 25 years old and its fly by wire.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
Do not compare Cryptic with SOE. I've had my own dealings with Sh!tty Online Entertainment, and there is nothing to compare. You want to know why the Cryptic dev/community team hasn't said much lately: THEY ARE BUSY TRYING TO FRAKKIN FIGURE OUT WHAT BROKE AND FIX IT. They can't fix things and let you and everyone else suck on their tit to make you QQers feel better at the same time.

Cryptic will talk more after launch and things stabilize, but right now they're too busy. And at least when they do respond, they aren't snarky and rude.....something I HAVE seen out of SOE.

Here, this should help: "rock-a-bye QQers on the tree top....."

it's impossible for every criptic employee to work on this at the same time. It's not to hard to appoint someone and say go talk to the community, or go inform the community whats going on.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
mistakes?

Never because it's impossible. 100,000 players are bound to find something broken that a handful of beta testers missed.