Lt. Commander
# 41
01-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm
it's impossible for every criptic employee to work on this at the same time. It's not to hard to appoint someone and say go talk to the community, or go inform the community whats going on.
Now, from a professional standpoint I know that it's not the smart thing to do, but I understand why Cryptic would avoid the forums for a while. You see, during one of the Betas (I can't remember which) there was one sorry sack of excrement who actually tried to pick a fight with a dev because said forum poster claimed the developer was "wrong" about how the game worked.

Considering that is but one of a handful of instances where the community has taken dumps on the Cryptic employees, I can see why they'd rather not deal with the forums. Trying to make any announcements regarding down time or the reasons thereof would be as effective as ****ing into the wind.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eykal View Post
Companies don't like to share secrets, thus every MMO has this problem. think a little.

You know it's not like the devs have a magic fix-everything button, you ever tried coding something? No? Shutup.
You really need to get a clue, buy one if you can't get it for free !

It is not all that difficult to create an MMO. It takes a lot of money, management and imagination.

What is failing here, is not the devs. It is management. The code has not been tested correctly. The severs have not been tested, the network has not been tested.

It is the responsibility of management to ensure the code the devs create is tested, and then deployed to the server. It is the responsibility of management to ensure the server infrastructure and network capability is tested and in place, before the game goes live.

But the problem is, like all before them, cryptic is deploying on a budget and hoping, yes hoping, that the game survives enough, to allow it to put more money into it when things settle down.

The blame for all this, whether you like it or not, is me, you and everyone else that pays to play the game. If we all stood up and and said "we're not accepting this anymore" Cryptic and all the rest would go bust and the next company to release an MMO would do things a whole lot better.

As long as the consumer accepts that this is and will be the norm, companies like Cryptic and the rest will continue to milk us.

The question is; Are you prepared to accept the current release ethos adapted by these companies?

For the record I've forgotten more lines of code than you've written. So keep the "have you tried coding" comments to yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Don't worry or believe your lying eyes. We all know that they did many "stress tests", everything is going as planned.

Besides, when Cryptic starts making THEIR 4TH MMO soon, they will have gotten the process down by then. Well maybe by the 5th MMO they release, but if not the 6th MMO they release for sure. This is Cryptic's first rodeo, give them a break, give in to the dark side and accept it without question, give up.....

Lt. Commander
# 44
01-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by framinal View Post
i know i know, all MMOs have historically had problems at launches , umm arent ppl supposed to learn from
mistakes?
at what point will devs step up and makes things smooth?
no i dont have any ideas on how to do this as im not a dev or in the computer/server field
but i know enough that if i bought a car in 2009, i hope it wouldnt have the problems they had 10-15 years ago

just because all MMOs do this at launch doesnt make it right
LOL, wow what dream world do you like in?For one I have beta tested over a dozen MMO's and not one was as good as STO, and yes that includes WoW.

And you comment about cars, wait i have to stop laughing, there hasn't been any new technology in cars in decades. Well that's not totally true, we have cell phones now.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaxjax View Post
LOL, wow what dream world do you like in?For one I have beta tested over a dozen MMO's and not one was as good as STO, and yes that includes WoW.

And you comment about cars, wait i have to stop laughing, there hasn't been any new technology in cars in decades. Well that's not totally true, we have cell phones now.
They had hybrids and viable electric cars decades ago? Don't even get me started on emissions and efficiency. What paralell universe are you from
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollisb View Post

The blame for all this, whether you like it or not, is me, you and everyone else that pays to play the game. If we all stood up and and said "we're not accepting this anymore" Cryptic and all the rest would go bust and the next company to release an MMO would do things a whole lot better.

As long as the consumer accepts that this is and will be the norm, companies like Cryptic and the rest will continue to milk us.

Amen. You are one of the few poster I have seen willing to admit this. As long as there are gamers and fanbois willing to accept any and everything this will continue. WIll there be issues with new products? Sure, I can live with that. This is not Cryptic's first MMO so the honeymoon ended with City of Heroes. Do i expect this game to be flawless? No. Do i expect to see something as simple as a queue issue? NO.

For thos ready to defend the game and Cryptic don't bother. I'm not upset at the company, i'm simply diaspointed in those who make excuses becuase they have been CONDITIONED by the industry to accept it.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
This game so far has a better up time than wow did when it launched. When wow launched it was plagued with disconnects, extreme lag, Que times, and everything else under the sun.

Now some of the problems was WOW's fault, or the servers fault

But most people forget that the biggest problem was AT&T. At the time AT&T was hosting the servers, and the ISP couldn't handle the workload required to run properly and it lead to a bunch of problems.

Chances are either its the servers that cant handle the load, or the ISP cannot handle the load, one is Cryptics fault...the other is outside their control.

However you must think of it this way. Would you rather have 3 days of smooth gameplay then this happening on launch day? Or give Cryptic time to fix the problem so when launch day comes around this problem will hopefully be resolved?
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirian
Chill, all MMOs suck at launch.
True, and all Cryptic MMOs really suck bad at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Kinda makes you think what they did with all that pre-order cash...
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
yeah all mmorpg's have release problems but i can understand in UO , SWG, ****, EQ2 but NOT now, we live in 2010 and ever the same..we are idiots for pay and play releases..

I leave from ***, war, TR, ****, the 1st month and never come back