Lt. Commander
# 161
03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrexus
This is exactly why diplomacy NEEDS to be like this and not a scripted dialog mess.
Actually there is another diplomacy thread, quite amazing too, in which the OP suggested a diplomacy minigame with real dialogs. Hold on, I will find that one, very interesting too (a dev even replied, which is pretty baffling, they usually carefully avoid non combat threads).
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 163
03-21-2010, 09:42 AM
I did read that one, but it never really did much to relieve my concerns about the amount of dialogue being written.... it either came across as too much dialogue for Genesis-content, or dialogue so generic that it hardly mattered at all (so why write it?).

All of this is compounded by my personal feelings that pre-scripted dialogue crams words (and thus a personality) into my character that may not match what I'd like.
Lt. Commander
# 164
03-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
Actually there is another diplomacy thread, quite amazing too, in which the OP suggested a diplomacy minigame with real dialogs. Hold on, I will find that one, very interesting too (a dev even replied, which is pretty baffling, they usually carefully avoid non combat threads).
I actually read his idea, but I prefer this system myself.
Lt. Commander
# 165
03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMentalxLintx
I did read that one, but it never really did much to relieve my concerns about the amount of dialogue being written.... it either came across as too much dialogue for Genesis-content, or dialogue so generic that it hardly mattered at all (so why write it?).

All of this is compounded by my personal feelings that pre-scripted dialogue crams words (and thus a personality) into my character that may not match what I'd like.
again, you take the words right out of my mouth
Lt. Commander
# 166
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I know the no-dialogue can seem a risky step. It's just I feel it's the better one long-term.
Lt. Commander
# 167
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Maybe in the next big patch, hmm?
Lt. Commander
# 168
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Dabo is opening the mini-game door... maybe just a liiiittle wider?
Lt. Commander
# 169
04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm all for this type of system in a Star Trek IP. Could definitely improve the exploration mechanics and you could even use it as a way to tug of war new systems to join each faction in hopefully expanded PVP systems.
Lt. Commander
I will try to keep this short and sweet (but I imagine I will fail) since much has been said on the matter.

1. The original post covered so much with what could be done with the diplomacy system.
2. Cryptic, please do these ASAP.

On top of that I can only see myself wanting to add a thing or two.

In response to the separate "classes" of diplomatic styles I would suggest that whatever the character has as their primary type of diplomacy (intimidation, persuasion, logic..) that as they "won" diplomacy battles that they could gain diplomacy xp and after achieving a new level that more points could be alloted into that specific type of diplomacy rather than the others.

Also, why not have the option as to how good your specific relations are with other races/factions? My character could for instance have amazing persuasion skills, have built a great reputation with cardassian ambassadors and have a terrible reputation with Klingon ambassadors (even those sympathetic to a peaceful solution with the federation.) Also would certain races be inherently geared towards one way of diplomacy over the other? Vulcans for logic, Cardassians for persuasion/intimidation, Klingons for pure intimidation?

Either way, I love the small amount of diplomacy that Cryptic has added thus far but it is a far stretch from what they need. Why not focus an ENTIRE EPISODE on building diplomacy? Not the Breen or the Undine but the hope for peaceful negotiations? This is supposed to be a game that evolves and that would give Cryptic added time and manpower towards building the diplomacy system as well as not worrying about missing a new episode ON TOP of keeping it completely fresh.