Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
Would love to see one of these options, though not as an alternative playstyle, but an addition, minigame style to appropriate encounters. yes, it has potential
/signed.

Id love to see this also implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 04:04 PM
[quote=nzdeathtoall;1833480]

Quote:
1, How would you propose the interface of such a system work?
I'd have to say no loot, no cards. There would be a skill bar for Diplomatic Skills. I'd be okay with having a set number of skills you can have at any time (this mechanic is already in place with, say, Bridge Officers). But skills would be unlocked by spending Diplomatic Points, maybe at a skill trainer (again, like the one for BO) or from a tree (like our regular skills).

But not looted. These are tactics learned from actually engaging in diplomacy, or learning from a "master" (ie, trainer).

The interface itself would be a hotbar of skills to choose from, and then the Encounter window (if I had to give it a name). Specifics are wide open--maybe your face with his face, maybe the two of your standing across a table. Under your avatar, your four bars (Logic, Persuasion, Intimidation, Patience). Same for your opponent. In between, an indicator to tell you whose turn it is and what was the last move made.

Quote:
2, how do you plan on mixing an actual story into this system?
The opposite actually. I'd like to see the SYSTEM mixed into the STORY. Or rather a parallel story, if you choose a more diplomatic route. There definitely wouldn't be a branching storyline for every encounter, not at all. Really, I'm not big on too many of those anyhow.

But branching REWARDS are surely a good thing. If you win using Intimidation, the reward should be a little different (not better/worse, but different) than if you win via Persuasion. This adds variety, without getting too complex so that it becomes a different game, or a development liability.

Cosmetic rewards would be just fine... and maybe (and I mean just MAYBE) allow some of these clothes to influence stats. Maybe this hat makes you seem more Intimidating. Maybe this shirt is made from the fibers of a plant that renders your listener more receptive to Persuasion. I'm not a huge fan of this, but it's a possibility, I suppose.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMentalxLintx

I'd have to say no loot, no cards. There would be a skill bar for Diplomatic Skills. I'd be okay with having a set number of skills you can have at any time (this mechanic is already in place with, say, Bridge Officers). But skills would be unlocked by spending Diplomatic Points, maybe at a skill trainer (again, like the one for BO) or from a tree (like our regular skills).

But not looted. These are tactics learned from actually engaging in diplomacy, or learning from a "master" (ie, trainer).

The interface itself would be a hotbar of skills to choose from, and then the Encounter window (if I had to give it a name). Specifics are wide open--maybe your face with his face, maybe the two of your standing across a table. Under your avatar, your four bars (Logic, Persuasion, Intimidation, Patience). Same for your opponent. In between, an indicator to tell you whose turn it is and what was the last move made.

The opposite actually. I'd like to see the SYSTEM mixed into the STORY. Or rather a parallel story, if you choose a more diplomatic route. There definitely wouldn't be a branching storyline for every encounter, not at all. Really, I'm not big on too many of those anyhow.

But branching REWARDS are surely a good thing. If you win using Intimidation, the reward should be a little different (not better/worse, but different) than if you win via Persuasion. This adds variety, without getting too complex so that it becomes a different game, or a development liability.

Cosmetic rewards would be just fine... and maybe (and I mean just MAYBE) allow some of these clothes to influence stats. Maybe this hat makes you seem more Intimidating. Maybe this shirt is made from the fibers of a plant that renders your listener more receptive to Persuasion. I'm not a huge fan of this, but it's a possibility, I suppose.
Ok, I see where you are going. Then again, I do think that having a federation starship positioned above a capital city bristling with weapons emplacements could induce a little intimidation.

All in all, I suport your thread.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 09:31 AM
This would help put in that "Peacekeeping Armada" idea that Starfleet was built around. Definitely a must have someday.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verikon
This would help put in that "Peacekeeping Armada" idea that Starfleet was built around. Definitely a must have someday.
That's the kicker isn't it really? Someday... people aren't asking for these things *now* just to be considered. This along with the many other ideas (usable bridge, mini games etc etc) would make this game so much more than every other game, these things would bring in the crowds that MMO's don't normally see; specifically the pacifists

Then again, I enjoy kickin romulan arse just as much as the next bloke, but I would enjoy all of these other options to get more immersed in the possibilities that this game has laying in front of it.

/bump for a brilliant idea from the OP. Here's hoping we can get the attention of the developers on this one
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks!

Maybe this'll be a place for people to come for POSITIVE ideas during server downtime, instead of all the negative posts...
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verikon
This would definitely be the engine that sets STO above the rest. Im excited to see what they have in store for people like us.

...and there are ALOT of us.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Still support this thread!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the support! Let's keep it moving!
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Great idea!