Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I like the idea of a diplomacy system. Working off of the outline provided by the OP I can see it working somewhat similar the way character progression worked in Fable. ie. Bashing enemies with a sword granted points used to access new and more powerful melee skills whereas using spells led to better spells.

I think a point buy system for skills would probably be the easiest system to implement for progression and something like that would allow players the flexibility to do things however they wanted. They could either become great at one style or become good at all of them (but still not great). Also using different styles could produce different results (ie. an officer who uses intimidation tactics may prevent a war/ negotiate a favorable trade agreement etc. but may also have the side affect that the heavy-handed tactics may have a negative impact on future negotiations.)

All of this came to me in the last couple minutes so its pretty rough, but off the top of my head that's what I came up with.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
I could definitely see a system branching out like that, particularly in the area of rewards. Win by this method, and maybe they'll give you a good bridge officer recruit... but rely on another method, and maybe it's an extra set of missions...
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
10 years ago when dinosaurs walked the earth, the best role playing games were text based muds. Many formats came but probably the best of the bunch was star wars reality muds. The SWR is still popular and there are dozens of muds that use it including most of the star trek muds.

Diplomacy is huge in swr muds and Id like to see some more of it here in this realm.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugshu View Post
10 years ago when dinosaurs walked the earth, the best role playing games were text based muds. Many formats came but probably the best of the bunch was star wars reality muds. The SWR is still popular and there are dozens of muds that use it including most of the star trek muds.

Diplomacy is huge in swr muds and Id like to see some more of it here in this realm.
me and you both bro, hopefully this catches on.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
So I am wondering if the devs have noticed this topic yet...
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Proposal:

Take a look at Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - Diplomacy system. I loved it, and its the main reason I played Vanguard. Didn't bother with combat or crafting, just diplomacy to max. level! It was fun while it lasted.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Proposal:

Take a look at Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - Diplomacy system. I loved it, and its the main reason I played Vanguard. Didn't bother with combat or crafting, just diplomacy to max. level! It was fun while it lasted.
Thank you for the response
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I think this idea really gets to the heart of what it means to be in the Star Trek IP.

Lately, the verse from the song "Star Trekkin" is the unofficial motto of STO. We come in peace (shoot to kill) As it stands now it does get slightly old to hear the computer saying that "the ship is under attack" when I was the one being the aggressor. I don't remember too many instances of Starfleet captains provoking an attack. At least not without some provocation first. Perhaps that could be the impetus that ties the diplomacy to combat? The other side's patience wears out and he opens fire?

I think adding a system like this is not only good for bringing over more people, but it allows for a deeper game that is more than just "point, click, kill, rinse, repeat."

Dear Developers: Read this post and make it so.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-07-2010, 04:53 AM
I think with the folks that explore-patrol rushed to endgame, and are now complaining about lack of content, we can really see the purpose of parallel types of advancement. Those people COULD now go back and work on Diplomacy, which would have them revisiting earlier areas... maybe even helping some newbs while they're in the neighborhood.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Have you gotten any response from the devs yet?