Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
They want my money and devotion to the game, yet they scrimp on servers? Which is the back bone of a MMO.
They are terrible at figuring out their priorities if you ask me.

GET NEW SERVERS! And get them soon. End of problem.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swadel View Post
Ok im not a troll here cause i really like STO...........but i feel i must vent my anger at the current state of things now were live.

I was just about to finish a tough mission on the ground and was at the last stage to be told without warning that the shard is going down...........AGAIN and then logged straight out!

I think thats unacceptable,. And all we get on the forums is bassically a big FU.

Please wait, were sorry thanks. Nothing more. Mabye if they were a bit more forth coming then we would be a little more understanding?

Also do they not read the forums at all or care what we think? Taking the basic attack autofire off ground combat? why? in a game hwere you have to move with the keyboard alot as well as tab target and and use skills mapped to the number keys its extremly fiddly and makes the UI seem clunky.

I see they are not listening to the many threads about the autofore of beam weapons in space and now they take more away?!!!

To add to that the action bar on the ground does not save the skills i put there making me put back all my skills EVERY time i beam down to a planet MOST annoying.

They are starting to ruin this game for me and i really want to play it.

WERE NOT IN BETA ANYMORE GUYS IM PAYING TO PLAY! cmon.

Rant over........Ah thats better. ;-) See you guys in space.........Mabye

Im off to do a few heroics whilst the "Emergency Maint" is carryed out.

Peace sorry for the wall. Please dont hate xxxx
well you always can recognize a sour grape swg player in the forums.......
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Development costs money.. servers cost money. Companies try to anticipate the load as best they can, but more than one has been caught off guard by an overwhelming response. The difficulty at that point is the balancing act between getting more servers and not breaking the budget that the high-ups are watching like a hawk.

Anywho, they are working on it.. I seriously doubt they *want* downtime at all but it's bound to happen. Open beta is supposed to be the stress test but really given how difficult it can be to get into open beta's and how brief they run, you don't really get a feeling for the pounding the servers are in for until the game actually launches.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by swadel View Post
Ok im not a troll . . .but i feel i must vent my anger at the current state of things now were live.

. . . And all we get on the forums is bassically a big FU.

. . . Mabye if they were a bit more forth coming then we would be a little more understanding?

. . . They are starting to ruin this game for me and i really want to play it.

. . . WERE NOT IN BETA ANYMORE GUYS IM PAYING TO PLAY! cmon.

Peace sorry for the wall. Please dont hate xxxx
Alright, obviously I have abbreviated your long rant, and put together the main points.

Whether or not you are a troll, has yet to be determined, please do not make judgments for the rest of us.

The forums are for discussion, there is no disclaimer saying, "Post your ignorant thoughts, and we will waste time reading them, instead of fixing known problems/issues."

So, you want the development team to halt repairs/fixes, to go on here and post what they are going to do, instead of actually doing it. Makes sense. Using that rationale, we will have them tell us what they will be doing, and never actually do it. Way to think that through.

Starting to ruin the game for you? You are ruining it for yourself, and everyone else. You have been provided with pre-launch access, the game has been pre-launched for 2 days, relax. You are very impatient, learn to be patient.

You are correct, you are not in BETA any longer, but official LAUNCH is Tuesday. Did you think there would be no mishaps between Friday and then? Are you living on the same planet as the rest of us?

You are not PAYING for this period, it was included in your pre-order of the software, which gave you access to BETA and Pre-Launch and a month of play time, which is in essence the important time. Nevermind the extras, such as characters/slots/ships/etc. Stop your whining.

The reason why people get all hyped up and then feel doom and gloom is because of irrational and illogical posts that criticize an entire game based on responses made by a development in place to FIX THEM.

Sit in your chair, go eat something, have a cigarette, do something. Relax, and save your rants for people who want to read them. This forum is not a place to bash the game, its for discussion that is relevant, not condemning and lacking any real substance.

Good day.

real1st
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCaliber View Post
Simply because it happens repeatedly does it mean it cannot be avoided. The suits are worried about spending too much on hardware that may sit unused once interest dies off, but be under no illusion, this is avoidable.
Semantically, yes, it is 'avoidable'.

However, when we are talking with in the context of a business, that avoidability is greatly reduced.

As Trilel points out, this is par for the course for MMORPG launches. There are just too many factors, and not enough resources available to make it work perfectly.

I empathize with the OP's post. Personally, imo, it is better to never even hear about an MMO, until maybe 6 months after release -- eliminating the 'waiting', the expectations, and the buggy launches. For some it is better to simply wait a few months before jumping into a new MMO -- though I can again empathize with the desire to play it asap. However, waiting, helps avoid the annoying growing pains of Launch, imo.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
stress is a bad thing, and if you're stress over a game then it's really a bad thing. here is what I do, and what would help you. now this down time is for what two hours. go take a walk, and I mean it. it will be good for you're heath, and stress level. if it's to cold to walk outside do some sit ups, push up, anything to get some exercise to relieve stress. that way when the servers come back online you won't have stress, and you will be ready to play.
Why did you quote me, I'm not stressed in the least.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannigan
Development costs money.. servers cost money. Companies try to anticipate the load as best they can, but more than one has been caught off guard by an overwhelming response. The difficulty at that point is the balancing act between getting more servers and not breaking the budget that the high-ups are watching like a hawk.
It's Star Trek. You could put a turd in a box, slap some Trek looking art and the logo on it and people would buy it. Same with Star Wars and Harry Potter. Basically, you know it's going to be BIG from the outset.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Falcon
You need to remain cool headed about these things. No MMO at launch is perfect, things get better as time goes on, but even WoW which has been out for 5 years has it's moments. I got a free day of game time fairly recently because of this stuff.

It's frustrating yes, but it's normal. If this was something they could just fix, don't you think they would do that? It's not that easy, just enjoy the ride and buy a cheap back up game for the down time. Facebook games are great for that.
WoW was Blizzard's first mmorpg. This is Cryptic's third. They don't get a pass for this. LotRO didn't have this issue. The game was forced out before it was ready. This will hurt them. You only get one first impression. Many, such as I, will take a deep breath and wait it out. Many will not. Vanguard comes to mind. Such anticipation for that game and it is now virtually a ghost town.
Lt. Commander
# 19 Yep
01-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw
Blame the suits at atari for rushing a major IP out the door to cash in bigtime. And as usual it is the fans that get screwed again.
/signed
Lt. Commander
# 20 Thanks
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
stress is a bad thing, and if you're stress over a game then it's really a bad thing. here is what I do, and what would help you. now this down time is for what two hours. go take a walk, and I mean it. it will be good for you're heath, and stress level. if it's to cold to walk outside do some sit ups, push up, anything to get some exercise to relieve stress. that way when the servers come back online you won't have stress, and you will be ready to play.
LOL thanks for the advice, im not actually stressed im 28 years old and there are more important things in life to get stressed about. Im just annoyed.