Lt. Commander
The server is listed as undergoing maintenance on the support page: this morning's maintenance from 3-5AM.

I realize Cryptic is new to the concept of product support, but you would make a lot of people happy simply by updating the support/launcher pages with an ETA. If you don't have one, over-estimate: it's a simple rule of business, under-promise over-deliver.

Thus far, Cryptic has not been realistic about STO. They continue to promise that which they cannot deliver.

Fix it, guys. This isn't rocket science. It's basic customer service you should have learned from your first fast food job.

Now that we're paying for this game, you cannot ignore your customers. You should have 24/7 support staff ready to go; it seems like all you've got is a marketing dude sending out updates from their blackberry.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Gene Roddenberry must be spinning in his ashtray.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizeek View Post
Thus far, Cryptic has not been realistic about STO. They continue to promise that which they cannot deliver.

it seems like all you've got is a marketing dude sending out updates from their blackberry
my favorite parts. fanboys/apologists flame on!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Cryptic has been forthcoming so far. They probably are trying to find out what the issue is. So in the meantime the only thing we can do is wait. I would imagine that they would say we are working on the issue and will update you as soon as we know something.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Just what have they promised and didn't deliver?

Nowhere did they EVER promised an ultrastable-nevercrashing server.

They did say however that they ordered more servers. But perhaps they underestimated the numbers again when they evaluated Open Beta, and in Headstart those numbers AGAIN smashed Cryptic's calculations?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I see where you are coming from.

Now that I have been on-topic, here is some food for thought.

These no-bake cookies are made with oats and chocolate, along with peanut butter and other ingredients.

* 4 ounces butter or margarine
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 3 to 4 tablespoons peanut butter, optional
* 3 cups oats, quick or old-fashioned
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:
Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, oats, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine the margarine, milk, and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Combine the hot mixture with the oatmeal and chocolate chip mixture; stir well. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
The server is listed as undergoing maintenance on the support page: this morning's maintenance from 3-5AM.

I realize Cryptic is new to the concept of product support, but you would make a lot of people happy simply by updating the support/launcher pages with an ETA. If you don't have one, over-estimate: it's a simple rule of business, under-promise over-deliver.

Fix it, guys. This isn't rocket science. It's basic customer service you should have learned from your first fast food job.

Now that we're paying for this game, you cannot ignore your customers. You should have 24/7 support staff ready to go; it seems like all you've got is a marketing dude sending out updates from their blackberry.
What are they going to say that they haven't already said in the announcement and on the launcher? You need them to pop in every 10 minutes saying: "Not fixed yet!"? Any moron will be able to see it's not fixed just by loading the launcher.

The server crashed, they don't know how long it will take to bring back up - they have to find what made it crash and then fix it. Check the launcher every 15-20 minutes and hope for the best.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluant
I see where you are coming from.

Now that I have been on-topic, here is some food for thought.

These no-bake cookies are made with oats and chocolate, along with peanut butter and other ingredients.

* 4 ounces butter or margarine
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 3 to 4 tablespoons peanut butter, optional
* 3 cups oats, quick or old-fashioned
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:
Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, oats, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine the margarine, milk, and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Combine the hot mixture with the oatmeal and chocolate chip mixture; stir well. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
Mmmm cookies
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torlak
Gene Roddenberry must be spinning in his ashtray.
Roddenberry would likely be more upset about the minuscule role played by science and diplomacy in STO.

Although he'd be none too pleased about the corporate greed levied on this game. Had he been involved, I can assure you, it would not have had a 2 year development time frame.

2 years obviously wasn't enough time, even with the fact at hand that the game is simply a re-skinned CO with space fighting.

Lots of potential in this game: potential that's being needlessly squandered in order to make suits happy during the quarterly meeting.

Capitalism: the real reason humanity will never explore the galaxy.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Just what have they promised and didn't deliver?

Nowhere did they EVER promised an ultrastable-nevercrashing server.

They did say however that they ordered more servers. But perhaps they underestimated the numbers again when they evaluated Open Beta, and in Headstart those numbers AGAIN smashed Cryptic's calculations?

Shouldn't they have learned from the beta? Isn't doing the same thing twice and expecting different results the definition of insanity?

With respect to what was promised, I'm more frustrated with the content than anything else. The best crafting system they could come up with is turning in 50 medium hypos for 50 large hypos, only then can you trade in data for gear that will already be obsolete? What did they do, tack that on during the closed beta with the idea "well, we know people will complain, but we're too uninspired/lazy to fix it"?

What about the Klingons? No content other than space fighting at launch? Only added after the community DEMANDED it?

As I've said in other posts, the community will have to force Cryptic to make this game what it has the potential to be. Cryptic has already shown us they are incapable of grasping what it is that has made the Star Trek franchise so popular. It's about having adventures, and telling a story, not about spending 2 hours making sure your character's mustache is juuuuuust right.

Don't even get me started on the whole 'furries in space' thing.