Lt. Commander
In EVE no matter how the game is built or played.. In EVE you feel like you really are in a vast universe. When you fly you can feel the distance between points. STO you dont get any of these feelings. i believe that most of the arguements between the 2 games stems from the point that everyone expected to feel the emersion of eve and instead feel ripped off by getting a small cardboard box taped to another that you get a loading screen to get to. THIS IS FREAKING STAR TREK where is my star trek???
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
did this really need another thread?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 06:26 AM
There is no debate, EVE and STO are very different. Apples and oranges...

If you have a problem with STO, just say what it is. But if you want it to be like EVE, get out and go to EVE. You already have it there. STO has its flaws (many of them), but not being like EVE is not one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximillian
There is no debate, EVE and STO are very different. Apples and oranges...

If you have a problem with STO, just say what it is. But if you want it to be like EVE, get out and go to EVE. You already have it there. STO has its flaws (many of them), but not being like EVE is not one of them.
First off i do play EVE... And at this present time EVE feels like a star trek more than star trek does. But I am not looking for another EVE i am looking for a star trek that i can become fully emersed in. I want be in space that feels like SPACE.. not a small little non-lighted cardboard box. Star trek barley feels like a MMO and It defentely DOESNT feel vast and wonderous. Or maybe im asking for too much out of it. Maybe I should expect a single player game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
In Eve, a year's hard work making money, training skills, getting the ship you always wanted, etc can be undone by one or two guys looking to have fun at your expense. I play Eve and I love that aspect to it. I also love STO because I can play a game where I don't have to worry about it. I like both for what they are.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Really... if you all want to go play Eve... please just go play Eve. Sometimes companies like to make a different gaming experience for people.

Here is what i did like about EVE. The music, the vastness of space, and lots of different ships.

I did not however like that when you skilled up, it took for a very long, time and essentially you could say "i am going to skill this up" then log off and play something else. Travel was kind of boring... at first i thought "this is cool it takes me 20 minutes to get to my quest? right? Well, i could go make a sandwich"

The combat seemed like it could be more fun... but really... it was lack luster to me... this is simply my opnion.... and i REALLY hated that i was stuck in my ship all the time.

Also, i found the playerbase very unhelpful, and not welcoming at all.

STO does things a lot different... Is this bad? Why should it be... I wonder if EVE players bashed SWG when Jump to Lightspeed came out? So basically, if anything happens in space, EVE players jump in and tell you their space is better than your space.

Just realize that Cryptic did not sit around and say "hey guys, lets make eve but with star trek ships!" if that was the case, then they did infact fail terribly.... But for that i am glad.... glad they had some original ideas, and shook it up a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaspiff View Post
Really... if you all want to go play Eve... please just go play Eve. Sometimes companies like to make a different gaming experience for people.

Here is what i did like about EVE. The music, the vastness of space, and lots of different ships.

I did not however like that when you skilled up, it took for a very long, time and essentially you could say "i am going to skill this up" then log off and play something else. Travel was kind of boring... at first i thought "this is cool it takes me 20 minutes to get to my quest? right? Well, i could go make a sandwich"

The combat seemed like it could be more fun... but really... it was lack luster to me... this is simply my opnion.... and i REALLY hated that i was stuck in my ship all the time.

Also, i found the playerbase very unhelpful, and not welcoming at all.

STO does things a lot different... Is this bad? Why should it be... I wonder if EVE players bashed SWG when Jump to Lightspeed came out? So basically, if anything happens in space, EVE players jump in and tell you their space is better than your space.

Just realize that Cryptic did not sit around and say "hey guys, lets make eve but with star trek ships!" if that was the case, then they did infact fail terribly.... But for that i am glad.... glad they had some original ideas, and shook it up a bit.
One last time... I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER EVE.... I want a game that i can emerse myself into like I can in eve. I want space to feel huge and wonderous. (eve space doesnt feel to wonderous to me) but its defently HUGE. STO space feels like a little cramped box. Thats my point right there... Nowhere in STO do i feel like im in a vast open area.
Lt. Commander
# 8 I didn't like Eve
01-30-2010, 06:43 AM
I played Eve and didn't like it. I'm glad that you did but please do not try and impose Eve on those that chose not to play it. I like instanced space zones, I like having ground missions, I like having the option to PvP and I like the story of Star Trek which is NOT Eve. The game has room to grow and if you don't want to play it then don't.

When I hear people say, "Hey man, [other game] is better. Every new game should be just like [other game]" I have to groan and say, "Get a clue". If every new game was a carbon copy of the one before we'd never have new games. We'd just have expansions to games that many people don't like.

They are different games and for that I'm grateful.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda View Post
I want a game that i can emerse myself into .
Immerse ... that's at least twice you've got it wrong
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
In Eve, a year's hard work making money, training skills, getting the ship you always wanted, etc can be undone by one or two guys looking to have fun at your expense. I play Eve and I love that aspect to it. I also love STO because I can play a game where I don't have to worry about it. I like both for what they are.
I love this person's outlook. (I too play EvE for what it is)